• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are There Any "Good Gigs" Left?

GroundPounder

lol I am old!!! I've landed a few times with those nice and bright "LOW FUEL" lights on. That shouldn't happen in the war pig!! I say night
landings in the COD isn't necessary but that's above my pay grade.

Stupid question, If a day carrier landing in the COD under perfect conditions is a 1, and a day landing with all the conditions at their max allowable is a 10, what would a " average " night landing be?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Stupid question, If a day carrier landing in the COD under perfect conditions is a 1, and a day landing with all the conditions at their max allowable is a 10, what would a " average " night landing be?

By max allowable conditions, do you mean weather minimums?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This isn't something one can quantify on a 1-10 scale. Every pass is unique, even in identical conditions.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Met a retired P-3 bubba that flew the LC-130 back during the Cold War.
Apparently it had skis and could land up in the arctic...pretty badass if you ask me...
Pickle
Edit, meant LC-130...fingers and brain separated...

Last edited:

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I have a Guardsmen buddy who flies the LC-130 ski birds. Apparently, they do runs in and out of McMurdo Station in the Antarctic and are based out of New Zealand when they're not. THAT is a good gig.

jmcquate

Contributor
I have a Guardsmen buddy who flies the LC-130 ski birds. Apparently, they do runs in and out of McMurdo Station in the Antarctic and are based out of New Zealand when they're not. THAT is a good gig.
Saw a show about the USAF guys doing that at the top of the globe. Seemed like quite the operation........not to mention the hours spent in a poopy suit.

SlickAg

pilot
In reference to the subject at hand: C-2s are the last true good deal in Naval Aviation. The path there is risky though, and the "tails" side of that coin flip is E-2s, arguably one of the worst deals in Naval Aviation.

Sorry for being such a latecomer to the conversation. Explain to me why E-2s are such a bad deal please?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I looked into that myself before I applied for OCS. They fly out of Stratton ANG Base in Schenectady, about a half hour away from where I lived.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Met a retired P-3 bubba that flew the LC-130 back during the Cold War.
Apparently it had skis and could land up in the arctic...pretty badass if you ask me.......

That used to be a Navy mission until 1997, VXE-6 was stationed out of Pt Mugu and it apparently was an awesome gig. We had a few former guys from there in EP-3's since they didn't get a 'mission' qual out of the squadron and had to get one if they wanted to have a 'real' career in the Navy, they had some really cool stories about the mission and even better ones about New Zealand where they were based out of hen flying down sour. The Navs were all really sharp since they actually navigated for real down there with GPS back then not being so great so far south, even celestial. The last Nav they took for their last summer was in the class after mine in Nav school, still regret not being able to do it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Sorry for being such a latecomer to the conversation. Explain to me why E-2s are such a bad deal please?
Outsiders perspective, so apply grain of salt:
Fly the "nerd taxi" off the boat while all your pilot buddies are either flying something cool or getting paid perdiem to live on the beach.
Heavily NFO centric community.
First to launch, last to recover, get to do the coveted TCT at the end of your nice long day.
Did I mention that you have to live on the boat?

Really, there are no bad deals out there, but when you compare it to living in a villa in Bahrain making $130 a day, drinking it up every night and flying DVs out to the boat day only...there is no comparison.

Again, I have made a career out of turning JP-5 into nuclear deterrence one nap at a time, so I don't have a leg to stand on in this comparison, but that is my outsider's observation.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
"Nerd taxi," I love it. I'll say this, we have 6 different TMS in my current squadron and it's been great getting to know about the other communities and how they do business. You get to hear the pluses and minuses of each platform and it's pretty eye opening. Even things you don't think about can make a huge impact. In every community you're going to have your haters and those who wear rose colored glasses. A lot is on your attitude, in fact I'd say most is in your attitude. You'll hate your life one day and the next you can't imagine doing anything else. In the end, as long as you keep your head up and make the best of it, you'll love what you do and have a great time.

I'm a P-3 guy and make fun of the plane all the time, as we all do but I love it and still think it's a great plane. It has issues no doubt and there's some PITA parts of the community, but it's my plane. I'm by no means a "company man," I'm just a guy who likes to fly and have fun.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
You get to hear the pluses and minuses of each platform and it's pretty eye opening. Even things you don't think about can make a huge impact.

3q64y0.jpg