• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are There Any "Good Gigs" Left?

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
It's 2013 - are there still any hidden gems out there? If you could change platform/location/squadron/etc where would you go, and why?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are lots of good gigs/deals out there, but most are not on the golden path to Commander/Command.

Who wouldn't want to fly F-5s out of Key West? Or do an exchange tour flying either Tonados in Germany or Hornets in Australia?

Renegade One

None
It's 2013 - are there still any hidden gems out there?
LPO: I'm going to make some huge assumptions here (Standard Caveat: I've been wrong before…), but if, in fact, you're still an E, the door, I think, is WIDE OPEN for you to go and see the world while you can. Assuming (again…) that you aspire to this whole AW thingie at some point in time, the window for that closes very rapidly after commissioning/wings. That's when the "due course/golden path" guidance kicks in. Not recommending you go do a lot of GENDET (any suitable pay grade) orders…working orders within your swim lane is always key to advancement, etc…but I expect most folks can go anywhere where their rating/rate has a valid billet.

My info is certainly dated, but there was a time within memory when you could go to Iceland, Scotland, England, Rota, Sigonella, Stuttgart, Naples, Antarctica, New Zealand, Singapore, Bahrain, the list goes (went?) on and on. Great family time, great launching points for leave and libs, great MILAIR connectivity to wherever, etc.

If that's your current situation, "see the world" while you can..making smart choices for career advancement, etc. :)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Our friend doing Pep Australia and barely working, getting paid to go to Nagano to ski, and generally kicking life's ass... his gig looks pretty good.

dustydog

pilot
FTS aviation used to be a pretty good deal. One of the few places were you had a resonable chance of flying to 20. Those days are over, for good or bad, and FTS is starting to become more and more like the AC in terms of career progression but with more restrictions.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's 2013 - are there still any hidden gems out there? If you could change platform/location/squadron/etc where would you go, and why?
I think this is an instance where, had the OP bothered to properly fill out his profile information, more specific answers could be provided.
LPO: I'm going to make some huge assumptions here (Standard Caveat: I've been wrong before…), but if, in fact, you're still an E...
Your AW 'handle' would lead one to think you are an E, yet most of the posts replying to your question, assume that you are an aviator... what it be?
BzB

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
I'm not an E, this username and avatar comes from a well known (to me at least?) SAPR training video. Only a few have recognized it so far.

Anyway, I got caught up reading some older threads (2005-ish) about some "good gig" P-3 jobs in Spain that were going away. I tried to search for similar threads with no luck.

So you have me pegged now, a flight student that is starting to think about selection and dream sheets. I have my top 3 in order, but I'm not sure if for the right reasons.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I think the name is funny. Good reference to a ridiculous training video.

In reference to the subject at hand: C-2s are the last true good deal in Naval Aviation. The path there is risky though, and the "tails" side of that coin flip is E-2s, arguably one of the worst deals in Naval Aviation.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
I've always heard good things about COD's, but as you've pointed out, a very tough platform to select. The positive things I've heard are per diem, still get traps/cats (day only?), hotel > boat. Is there anything else that stands out in your mind?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As someone at DLI learning a language for a PEP tour in a country not especially known for hard work, I can say that yes, there are some good deals still out there. There is a whole FPME/PEP/FAO world out there that the majority of the fleet is somewhat ignorant on. Hell, I find out about new good deals all the time now.