• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 09 Boards

m26

Contributor
I'll post once I have a decision up or down. I'm not even submitted yet, so I want to wait on that.

I started as a business major in college. I almost wish I had kept it up (but I hate math, so not too much). I'll serve as anything they'll take me as, but I really want Supply. Hopefully they'll keep handing out slots.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Supply began to select its FY-10 applicants starting from the Feb boards. In Feb, Supply pro rec 44 people. In March, Supply pro rec 25; therefore, only 69 people have been pro rec for FY-10 so far.

I'm guessing they need more then just 69 applicants for FY-10 because of the need for Supply Corps officers. Plus you have to factor in that not everyone who was pro rec is going to go Supply. I'm sure Supply was the 2nd choice for a few people who were then pro rec for the 1st choice. Coupled with the fact that medical disqualifications plays a part in people not going Supply.

So, I'm guessing the amount of people that were pro rec that actually stated Supply is lower then 69... its probably around 55. So, I doubt they are not going to have an April board for Supply; its just a matter of necessity.

Well, that's my analysis anyway on the "Supply reached its quota" rumor.

m26

Contributor
Plus, I would imagine they would want to spread the Suppos around? You have to have a steady supply of ensigns to man the entry-level posts.

Then again, with supply school being 6 months long I doubt they start a new class every week.

Oh, well, back to pounding out the finals papers. Blech.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Then again, with supply school being 6 months long I doubt they start a new class every week.

Not every week, just every 3 months, as it seems. Check out the course dates for the Supply BQC.

And check out the courses starting in April and July... they are only 4 months long. Another theory of mine is that they had a back-log of students and are pushing them through to make way for us FY-10 selects. Again, just my theory :). But most of them are 4 months, so who knows.

lg106

Thank you for the input Renegade, I hope you are right.

M26 I am right there with you on the damn finals papers, I am currently in the library trying to crank out my 25 page research paper for finance, but seemingly finding plenty of time to procrastinate on Air Warriors, haha!!!

m26

Contributor
M26 I am right there with you on the damn finals papers, I am currently in the library trying to crank out my 25 page research paper for finance, but seemingly finding plenty of time to procrastinate on Air Warriors, haha!!!

Ditto

My progress has been...slow. Thankfully I'm at an easy school right now where I can get away with such nonsense.

...Back to European history...

SWOHopeful

Heh, I'm at work right now and everyone keeps asking if I know anything yet :icon_rage. I just looked at them and said I learned to "hurry up and wait" and they laughed at me. It's all good though everyone here is really supportive of my decision (as in everyday they ask me do I know anything). My manager does not want me to go because he needs me to stay here and work hard. Good times good times. Next week starts another round of waiting!!!

batesdl

I know exactly how you feel. I have been waiting for 3 months almost for my Service Record to come back. My OR feels strong that I should finally be reviewed in the May Board. Thank God.

Semisonic9

I'll post once I have a decision up or down. I'm not even submitted yet, so I want to wait on that.

I started as a business major in college. I almost wish I had kept it up (but I hate math, so not too much). I'll serve as anything they'll take me as, but I really want Supply. Hopefully they'll keep handing out slots.

I see a lot of people interested in Supply. I don't know much about the field. What's the big attraction?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I see a lot of people interested in Supply. I don't know much about the field. What's the big attraction?

Being in charge of millions of dollars of crap on your first tour out of college? That's not exactly usual in the business world.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN

Uh... only that they are just a totally kick ass community :D! Supply Corps officers are the Navy's premiere community of business managers and logisticians. The unique nature of their role entails an uncompromising degree of stewardship for public funds and property.

Its a huge challenge to supply the Navy with items essential to the operation of modern ships, aircraft and facilities. To meet this challenge, the Supply Corps requires its officers to be schooled and experienced in a variety of disciplines such as inventory control, financial management, contracting, information systems, operations analysis, material and operational logistics, fuels management, and physical distribution.

The skills learned working as a Supply Corps officer in the Navy directly translate to a very lucrative positions in the civilian world, which is why there is a gap at the O-4 (LCDR) level for Supply officers. These officers leave to assume large salary paying positions with some of the companies they have networked with as Supply Officers; another good reason to go Supply... you are always networking with your future employer!!

SUPPLY ROCKS :D:icon_smil:D!!!

swerdna

None
Contributor
Uh... only that they are just a totally kick ass community :D! Supply Corps officers are the Navy's premiere community of business managers and logisticians. The unique nature of their role entails an uncompromising degree of stewardship for public funds and property.

Its a huge challenge to supply the Navy with items essential to the operation of modern ships, aircraft and facilities. To meet this challenge, the Supply Corps requires its officers to be schooled and experienced in a variety of disciplines such as inventory control, financial management, contracting, information systems, operations analysis, material and operational logistics, fuels management, and physical distribution.

The skills learned working as a Supply Corps officer in the Navy directly translate to a very lucrative positions in the civilian world, which is why there is a gap at the O-4 (LCDR) level for Supply officers. These officers leave to assume large salary paying positions with some of the companies they have networked with as Supply Officers; another good reason to go Supply... you are always networking with your future employer!!

SUPPLY ROCKS :D:icon_smil:D!!!

Here we go again. There are at least three or four threads on here about supply vs. SWO, NFO, etc.

From my experience, supply officers were first assigned as a DISBO (disbursing officer), who was in charge of making sure everyone got paid properly, and that finances were in order. And then there was an O-3 as SUPPO. The supply department was in charge of food (anyone who goes cranking is on temporary assignment to supply dept) and general acquisition of supply material (from paint to AEGIS parts). It will take at least 8 years of active duty before you make it to O-4, so think twice before joining to get a good job when you get out.

The biggest talking point on this website has been that supply is a good field to get into if you want to get out of the Navy. Also, this is the only place I've ever heard supply talked so highly of. And that includes the fleet.

But everyone's different, so my advice is to speak with people in whatever field you are interested in, and see what they have to say about it. I've met people that hated SWO, and I've met people that hated Supply. And I've met people that loved both.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
It will take at least 8 years of active duty before you make it to O-4, so think twice before joining to get a good job when you get out.

Agreed with everything you said... until you said ^^that!! According to this J.O. Supply Corps J.O. mentoring brief, authored by NAVSUP, junior chops "have been leaving the Supply Corps in increasing rates." My guess is to get those good paying jobs.

But, I digress...

This thread is about the April boards, not great and wonderful supply corps :D. So, on that note... tomorrow starts a new round of waiting. Lets do a betting pool: What day next week do you think the results will hit the streets? I'm putting my money on Wednesday!

How say you...?