• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone see Midn in their AERO class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
There were three of us Midn from Vanderbilt that went to P'cola for our Aviation Physiology training last week. Due to the sweet talking of our LT we were able to sit in on an API class. I believe it was Wed. and the class was AERO. I don't know if it was I or II. Anyways, I just wanted to ask some questions if you were in that class. Thanks.

Hudson

I think it was aero 1. I just finished aero two. You were not in my class. If you have any questions about the material fire away.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, there weren't any mids in our class either (finished Aero I 2wks or so ago), but I'd be glad to spread some gouge around . . . shoot!

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Okay, I really just wanted to know how the test went. I think that they were a day before the review and the material that they were covering was very interesting and I just wanted to see how everyone did. I have heard that the tests were very scenario specific. Also, I thought that a score of 80% on the tests was good to go but I thought that I remembered seeing some people with scores of 80% having to talk to someone about a retest? There were also a ton of foreign service members in the class I sat in on, as well as some AF. I was wondering if that is pretty uniform in all the classes. For the PFT, do you guys run it on that chip trail? That seems like it would lower your run time a lot.

Thanks

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Class 04/30

I was in the class you guys sat in on. Everyone passed the exam....with four individuals getting a 100%. The class average was a 95. Regarding the internationals...I think it is pretty common to have a few of them in a class. We have three italians, and three guys from Singapore were doing some of the swim evolutions with us etc...
As for the PFA, yes you run it on the chip trail. It usually adds a minute or less to your time. If you run it once or twice before the test you'll be fine. Hope this helps.....

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Great job on the test. Which is usually the hardest of the tests? How long exactly is API once you class up out of the A pool?

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
ENSsquid -
Are you saying that I need to add length to my post?

Does everyone get a chance to volunteer for ISO before API? Did any of you do ISO? I know Nittany did. If you do, is it mandatory to do ISO in P'cola?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, if you do ISO you will do it in P-cola. As for tests, 80% is considered marginal. As in, you pass, but you need to shape up. Sometimes instructors have students who score an 80 or 82 percent remediate. Sometimes they don't. As for the hardest of tests, most are relatively easy as long as you bust your butt and follow the study guidelines laid down in the day 0 brief. Remember you're there to get wings, not drink your butt off. Navigation has the highest failure rate; the standards are very strict and the multiple choice wrong answers include common mistakes, not just random numbers. So you really need to have the process down for Nav before you take the test to do well.

As for ISO, to my knowledge you now have to apply for the program. As the aviation officer at your unit for more info.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody have LT Burns for Aero, or any other classes in API?

Pcola04/30

pilot
Going by historical failure rates, Aero 2 and Nav are the most difficult. I agree with nittany03....API is easier than I expected, BUT..... I am focused and I study the material almost daily.
On a different note....the historical average of a students overall performance in API is 93%.......quality people are in the pipeline putting forth some good effort.....moral of the story..... A-pool is for screwing around and having a good time... API is NOT.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
no, i meant i had to put more letters in my post, or the software wouldn't submit it.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Oh, okay, sorry for the confusion. I think that LT Burns is the guy who sat in the back of the room with us when I sat in on the API class. I guess he is going to be teaching AERO pretty soon? With an average of 93% I guess it makes it even more difficult to differentiate yourself. This might be a stupid question but what does your API grade determine? When do you start receiving your NSS score?

Pcola04/30

pilot
Rumors abound about how NSS's are computed. What i do know is that NSS are listed next to your exam grades in API. I'm not sure if it really is "The NSS" or just a motivational trick to keep us focused. (meaning that the NSS given in API could just be how well you are doing in relation to the last 200 people going through API and is not really connected to the NSS you will recieve in primary).
A good friend of mine just finished primary in corpus a few weeks ago, and he saw his NSS breakdown sheet. He said API had ZERO impact on his NSS. The rumor mill seems to support the notion that your NSS starts being computed after FAM 4 or FAM5 in primary......who knows. All you can really do is try your best at every stage in training and let the cards fall where they may.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
So what does API determine? After 6 weeks do you choose a pipeline? Do they just come and ask what you want and see if your grade and the needs of the Navy will fit with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.