• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone see Midn in their AERO class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
For what it's worth.....A fellow Marine that I went to API with failed the Aero I test then failed the Weather so he rolled back a class. Then once he picked up with that class he failed Aero II test, the staff gave him a last chance and put him back in training and he finally made it through API. Is he any less of a Marine or Aviator? No, because he's in Meridian right now!

...it's all about monkey skills

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
Capt. Robinson (Marine), the Aero dept head at API, said that if any Marines come through API and are marginal performers they are out. Period. No questions asked. According to him "If a Marine comes through here and gets 80's across the board...he his gone." Take it for what it is worth....but if I were a Marine going through API I would make sure my ducks were in a row. I heard this with my own ears.....Scare tactic or truth...who knows.

Sounds like a scare tactic....like every other "if you do this, we'll give you the boot" type gouge you hear in API and Primary. Didn't you know, scare tactics seem to be the primary school of motivational speaking used in pre-selection flight training.

And apparently, I haven't said this enough (despite the fact I've said it a hundred times)....

If you attrite from API due to academic reasons, you are a dumbass. Plain and simple. Are you a dumbass? If not, stop worrying. Just study and you'll do fine.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
But what if I am a dumbass and don't know it, is there some sort of NAV manual that could break down the criteria of dumbassness? I can't seem to find the dumbasstest.pdf in the gouge download.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Music majors make it, Poly-sci majors make it. People with absolutely zero background do fine. If you've made it this far, and you really want it, your instructors and classmates will make sure you get through the material. The only dumbasses are the ones that decide to take a swing at some redneck at the Florabama, or come driving up to the front gate at 0200 smelling like a distillery. They get to go home. If you haven't seen it elsewhere, the Navy has 150 too many pilots in the pipeline, so they are not taking any SH** from punk Ensigns. Three years from now, they'll be scrambling to get more people in because they cut too much in 2004, but for the next few years, keep your nose clean if you want to stay.

Penguin

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Dude, I was a retarded History major and scraped through every engineering class I had at Chesapeake Naval Klown Kollege and I did fine in API. From what I've seen, engineers actually tend to have more problems, cause they try to think through problems and apply what they learned in school. Bull majors are more willing to hit the I Believe button with all their might and memorize the "right" answer from the FTIs, which is how you get good grades. There's always some Honors Aero guy who winds up getting an 82 on the Aero test and screaming at the Master Chief about Reynolds numbers or some such. Don't be that guy.
How do you do good in API?
- GET THE GOUGE, GET THE GOUGE, GET THE GOUGE. Make friends with the senior guys in the class, the Marines and the Coasties - they always seem to get the best stuff. There are tons of old tests floating around, study the hell out of those. The questions on the tests will be startlingly familiar.
- Pay attention in class. Highlight everything in the FTI the instructor talks about for more than a minute in class.
- Save your partying for Friday night.
Oh, and as far as I can tell, API grades don't count for $hit in your NSS. Yes, they go into the formula, but it'll have no impact by the time you get to the end of Primary, which is when it counts. I think they let the top five pilots in my class pick whether they wanted to go to Whiting or Corpus, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.