• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Tesla owners?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Couldn't you just unplug from the car sitting there and charge yours?
Depends, I think there’s locks available to prevent someone from unplugging it while you’re away from your vehicle.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Removing money and interest from the decision, a significant portion of Americans would be easily served by EVs. I think there is a tendency to overestimate just how much range one would need day to day,

That's my big thing- a lot of EV reviews say that the 150-175 mile battery is a negative, but when I do the math, I drive 32 miles to work each way. The furthest commute I have is 55 miles each way that I may do on the weekend. My furthest commute still follows the 2/3 to 1/3 reserve "fuel" planning numbers.

Sure, a 300-400 mile battery sounds better, but rarely would I need that. When I do, that's when I'd take the wife's car.

Random8145

That's my big thing- a lot of EV reviews say that the 150-175 mile battery is a negative, but when I do the math, I drive 32 miles to work each way. The furthest commute I have is 55 miles each way that I may do on the weekend. My furthest commute still follows the 2/3 to 1/3 reserve "fuel" planning numbers.

Sure, a 300-400 mile battery sounds better, but rarely would I need that. When I do, that's when I'd take the wife's car.
This is the thinking behind when I said earlier about how an EV can be great for regular needs but you still want an ICE vehicle just for backup. I drive 26 miles each day to and from work in total. If I go to the fancy supermarket, it's about a 40 to 60 (depending on the market) round trip. So an electric vehicle I could drive to and from work and plug in each night in a garage would be great. No oil changes, engine issues, exhaust issues, etc...but for a SHTF situation, I'd want the ICE available. Or just for long road trips. Funny enough, I saw my very first EV driving today, a Chevy Volt. Up here, it's mostly all Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees and full size pickup trucks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you’re routinely commuting 100+ miles, EVs are weak and you should probably move.

As I said, it depends on where you are in the country and what's around you. There's plenty of people that live in the high plains and west Texas that have to commute a fairly long distance for work.

FWIW, I drive 140 miles a day when I go to work. Lots of people that live out where I work are driving into town, so their travel distance isn't much less than mine. While it would be cool to have some land out there, I'd rather live where I do and where there's infrastructure and my wife can continue to have her very well-paying job that she enjoys.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As I said, it depends on where you are in the country and what's around you. There's plenty of people that live in the high plains and west Texas that have to commute a fairly long distance for work.

FWIW, I drive 140 miles a day when I go to work. Lots of people that live out where I work are driving into town, so their travel distance isn't much less than mine. While it would be cool to have some land out there, I'd rather live where I do and where there's infrastructure and my wife can continue to have her very well-paying job that she enjoys.
Not just out west. When I lived in New England my commute from home in NH to work in Boston was just over 100 miles round trip…and I lived on the sea coast.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
And those are the parts of the country which will lag the more urban/suburban parts of the country in EV adoption, which makes sense to me (at least based on the current tech available).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not just out west. When I lived in New England my commute from home in NH to work in Boston was just over 100 miles round trip…and I lived on the sea coast.
Similar - I have telework agreement that brings me on base - 70 miles each way 2-3 days per week. However no charging stations on base (yet!). We have gotten word that GSA is replacing our duty vehicle (4WD GMC Terrain) with an EV - not sure when. Again, no charging stations on base yet!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Similar - I have telework agreement that brings me on base - 70 miles each way 2-3 days per week. However no charging stations on base (yet!). We have gotten word that GSA is replacing our duty vehicle (4WD GMC Terrain) with an EV - not sure when. Again, no charging stations on base yet!
Wait…you get to take your G-Ride home?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

Well…if he does get to take his G-Ride home, @ChuckMK23 and I need to be wearing suits with fake ear pieces [to look like real G-Men] so that we can do fake traffic stops on real citizenry…nevermind that we can get in real trouble and go to real jail if we did that. :D

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I do not. I have to leave it on base. I have a duty vehicle on base I can use for official business - and when I need to use it for official business near my home they want us to park it over night at a local Fire or Police station. (AF guidance)

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I do not. I have to leave it on base. I have a duty vehicle on base I can use for official business - and when I need to use it for official business near my home they want us to park it over night at a local Fire or Police station. (AF guidance)
Whew…I thought the the AF had abandoned all reason in following dystopian, dogmatic, draconian GSA rules!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
and when I need to use it for official business near my home they want us to park it over night at a local Fire or Police station. (AF guidance)
You really have to park your federal gov car at the local fire or police station? What AF lunacy. I certainly never had a true take home car as a recruiter, but when ever I had early morning business or was going on a road trip, I could park the damn thing where ever I wanted. Well except Cheetahs and the Hi Lighter. One of our guys did that...ONCE.

I suppose having to park 6 blocks away from home at the fire station isn't much to endure for the autonomy you get in your flight ops.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And those are the parts of the country which will lag the more urban/suburban parts of the country in EV adoption, which makes sense to me (at least based on the current tech available).

True. But I do think about places like Bozeman. It's 80 miles from anywhere, but pretty progressive and not a small town anymore. I haven't been there in a couple of years, so not sure what the current state of vehicles is, but there were charging stations going in in the city center.

But like you said (and what I was getting at), those parts of the country just don't seem to support the idea with current levels of tech.