• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Tesla owners?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Any Tesla owners out there? With recent price reductions and the Federal $7500 tax credit good through March 2023, it now seems like a Model 3 RWD is doable at $44K MSRP. We have the cheapest electricity (coal, baby! dig!) here in the fly over states. I've rented a Tesla (Model 3 and Y) from Hertz a number of times and I am sold on the driving experience.

What are the thoughts of AW land on this?

Thanks

1674845388332.png

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I don’t own one, but if you do buy one be sure to double check the build quality. I’ve heard from a few people now the quality has gone down hill compared to when they first started making them. Examples: gaps in the panels, bad door seals, even some battery pack issues.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can say my dad let me drive his once last year, and it was definitely impressive. Never in the wrong gear, and all the torque is always right there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a couple buddies in So. Cal that have Teslas and absolutely love them as their daily commuter. Do you have solar? If you don‘t, how do you plan on charging the beast? With electric rates climbing, the only sensible thing to do is charge with solar (or solar credits during off hours). Oh, and you’ll have to install a proprietary charger in your home either way.

1674862752028.png

Last edited:

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I drove one belonging to a friend several years ago. I told him I hadn't experienced acceleration like that since my last CAT shot. He had no idea what I was talking about. I'm still not sold on them though.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
2021 MYLR, absolutely love it. Spent more than I thought I would on the charger installation ($1,800) due to the distance from my electrical panel to the charger. But more than made up for it in the first year of ownership in the difference between my charging costs and equivalent gas costs in San Diego ($2,637 difference). Maintenance costs have been zero, but it will need a new set of tires later this year which will run about $1k. I’m not sure there’s an economic argument for an EV until purchase costs come down further. I’m sold, however, on zero emissions and the driving experience. It accelerates like a cat stroke and I didn’t even get the performance model. It’s the quietest vehicle I’ve ever been in, which makes music sound unbelievable. Advertised range is over 300 but practically it’s about 280. Not an issue at all unless I’m driving to LA and back. I’ll hit a supercharger on the way home while I’m grabbing a meal in San Clemente.

number9

Contributor
2021 MYLR, absolutely love it. Spent more than I thought I would on the charger installation ($1,800) due to the distance from my electrical panel to the charger. But more than made up for it in the first year of ownership in the difference between my charging costs and equivalent gas costs in San Diego ($2,637 difference). Maintenance costs have been zero, but it will need a new set of tires later this year which will run about $1k. I’m not sure there’s an economic argument for an EV until purchase costs come down further. I’m sold, however, on zero emissions and the driving experience. It accelerates like a cat stroke and I didn’t even get the performance model. It’s the quietest vehicle I’ve ever been in, which makes music sound unbelievable. Advertised range is over 300 but practically it’s about 280. Not an issue at all unless I’m driving to LA and back. I’ll hit a supercharger on the way home while I’m grabbing a meal in San Clemente.
Anything you know now that you wish you knew when you bought it?

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Any Tesla owners out there? With recent price reductions and the Federal $7500 tax credit good through March 2023, it now seems like a Model 3 RWD is doable at $44K MSRP. We have the cheapest electricity (coal, baby! dig!) here in the fly over states. I've rented a Tesla (Model 3 and Y) from Hertz a number of times and I am sold on the driving experience.

What are the thoughts of AW land on this?

Thanks

View attachment 37424
Double check that Tax credit. Last I read on the IRS website says Tesla is not a qualifying eV. (no I do not agree with their position on that decision) Not sure if that's been changed or updated as of last week.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Anything you know now that you wish you knew when you bought it?
Yeah, the rims are susceptible to curb rash. For some reason they protrude slightly and if you park or make a turn too close to a curb, there will be tears. I only did it once and got the spot touched up right away. Lesson learned.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Double check that Tax credit. Last I read on the IRS website says Tesla is not a qualifying eV. (no I do not agree with their position on that decision) Not sure if that's been changed or updated as of last week.

I’m not in the market for a new car but I did discover this recently that not ALL Tesla vehicles receive that tax credit.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think the Model 3 is a good fit- and I have the cash. I think it's just a matter of getting over my cheapskate ways and pulling trigger. We'll see. I have a colleague who has one and he loves it, although he has found the range greatly reduced in highway driving. Also temperature low 40° f also reduced battery capacity. Ohio has instituted a $250 per year electric vehicle registration attacks to make up for lost revenue from fuel taxes. He did some back of a napkin calculations and he's driving a/commuting for what amounts to gasoline purchase that $1.50 per gallon...

My Mercedes GLK is 13 years old and 250,000, mi on the clock and is quickly nearing the end of its practical useful life. So I need to decide on something...