• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

Lawman

None
mike.jpg
begs to differ

One of his instructors for the F-16 was my scoutmaster. His along with several other opinions Ive heard was that O'Grady had no buisness flying anything much less an F-16 in combat.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger that ... even 20+ aircraft furballs only went 2-3 minutes in my experience. Anything longer than that on a repeated basis would only serve to spark a sharp increase in Preparation-H sales over the counter at the AF BX .... :eek:

Endurance or high Gs will send you there no doubt. F-16 pilots have learned this lesson the hard way.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
One of my longest timed engagements was me in F-14B vs. Israeli F-16 (two seat - what's that an N?) We did a warm up kind of like the snapshot drill, then did a sticks and stones 1v1. 5 Minutes and 28 seconds later the F-16 calls Knock-it-off for fuel. No shots taken from either side. So I would say a 10 minute engagement is a long time. However, I was tankless, so perhaps the extra 4k would have given me another 2 minutes relative to our fight.

That being said nothing would be better than calling the "Growler" the "Shocker." Picture the Headlines: "Iran attacks, US gives them the Shocker"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my longest timed engagements was me in F-14B vs. Israeli F-16 (two seat - what's that an N?)

Series goes like F/A-18 and F-15 for that matter; F-16B and D models are two seaters variants of the F-16A and C respectively. The F-16N was the specialized US Navy variant that came in single and two seat versions. They were grounded after hard use resulted in cracks.

DN-ST-92-08308.JPG

TOPGUN F-16N during visit to Nellis AFB in May 1992. Photo by HJ

FLY_USMC

pilot
Thanks for the link, very informative, but why after the F4 was called Rhino for so long didn't they come up with a new name for the new F18 or is more of a history thing since many of the 18 squadrons were once F4's
:confused:
I think it's probably more of a "they just didn't give shiat" since we haven't flown F-4's in god knows how long.

10 minutes worth of ACM? I'd have bugged at like 2 minutes, everybody has a radio.

BTW, the Raptor is amazing, unimportant at how you look at it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
10 minutes worth of ACM? I'd have bugged at like 2 minutes..

That would be a nice trick...disengaging first to bug out isn't easy if your opponent can run you down or has a missile that can do it. Once in a scissors, which is likely what the fight "evolved" into, the first one to try and disengage is usually runner up and there's "no points for second place" as the saying goes

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
That being said nothing would be better than calling the "Growler" the "Shocker." Picture the Headlines: "Iran attacks, US gives them the Shocker"

I don't know, giving someone a growler could be pretty obscene... "We've got a little problem w/ Iran, so we're going to drop a couple of growlers their way" I guess it doesn't work as well as this.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I can see it now the Hornet pulls up to the tanker only to be photographed with the pilot and wso both holding those up with cheesy grins :icon_smil
BTDT ..... as "growlers & cheesy grins" are sometimes preferable to sliding up alongside the tanker and having your B/N give 'em a pressed ham against the side of the A-6 canopy .... :eek: .... but sometimes not. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good grief Charlie Brown and they think that AF pilots are bad when clowning around with tankers.

On a seperate thought but same topic it must be nice to have that much room in the cockpit to move around that or the BN must have been really flexible, I would have had a hernia trying to pull that off in a 15.
:D
I always selected my B/N's for their "flexibility" ... :D .... it came in really, really handy in the 'PO ... and just for clarity, we usually showed up alongside the tanker, day-VFR, sans helmets and flaunting our middle digits.

Just for dramatic effect .... :D