• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

jfulginiti

pilot
None
There was an F-22 demo at the Seymour Johnson airshow a few weeks ago. Very cool to watch. But I still wonder who we're going to fight with that thing. Not worth the $180+ million dollars if you ask me.

I overheard a few air force guys discussing how to employ the AIM-9 on an F-22 since it's housed inside the jet. Their main concern was ruining the stealth capability to open the doors and shoot it. Maybe it's just me but if you're about to shoot a Sidewinder at someone, I don't think stealth really matters anymore.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I overheard a few air force guys discussing how to employ the AIM-9 on an F-22 since it's housed inside the jet. Their main concern was ruining the stealth capability to open the doors and shoot it. Maybe it's just me but if you're about to shoot a Sidewinder at someone, I don't think stealth really matters anymore.

I sure as hell hope they were bulk fuelers or DEP poolees or something. Unless you're sneaking up on someone hardcore the jig is pretty much up if you're in that kind of range.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-22 is an Air Force jet, so definitely no plans to make it carrier capable...

Not that they didn't try. There were proposals for a swing wing F-22 and a swing wing F-117 in aftermath of the AX debacle. Neither one got anywhere after lots of pretty PowerPoint briefs and trips around the beltway and to the fleet to brief both concepts.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Not that they didn't try. There were proposals for a swing wing F-22 and a swing wing F-117 in aftermath of the AX debacle. Neither one got anywhere after lots of pretty PowerPoint briefs and trips around the beltway and to the fleet to brief both concepts.

Your link took me to the wiki for the term fahrenheit.:confused:

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
f22-natf.jpg

Naval Advanced Tactical Fighter (NATF) 1988-1991

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like typical AF propaganda. "Hey, all that money was worth it, really!" :rolleyes: What? A superhornet didn't score at kill against it at Red Flag? Gee, I wonder why?

Brett

snake020

Contributor
I've never heard of a Super Hornet getting shot down by the International Date Line either and having to follow a tanker to find the way home.

MrSaturn

Contributor
I like how they mitigate the F-22's loss by basically saying...
Oh its not a problem with our new toy its because one of our top pilots lost situational awareness in simulated combat.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
All new planes go through growing pains, the F-22 is no exception. Remember how many problems they had with the F-16? I don't think anyone will now today say that the F-16 was a bad investment.

Talked to a Rhino buddy of mine and he had nothing but good things to say about the Raptor (having flown against it several times). It is a great plane and has a lot of potential.

Not to say that the Rhino isn't a great plane too, but it is clearly not at the same level as the Raptor. Of course you can buy four Rhinos for ever Raptor. 4:1 is pretty good odds!