• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know where said footage of the Raptor getting gunned by the Rhino? I need a good laugh!

f18fgunf22020lz.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
WOW!! THERE's WA-A-A-A-AY too much crap on the gunsight for an air-to-air grapple ... but it's whatever you get used to, I guess ... :)

I don't keep up on this stuff, soooooooooooo .....

Down the left side: what's that ... AOA, Mach, G-load ... ??? What's the 7.6 ??? I love how someone had to come up with another "word" for AOA .... why is "GUN" X-ed out in the bottom if it's a "gun run"??

The pipper placement, I recognize ... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WOW!! THERE's WA-A-A-A-AY too much crap on the gunsight for an air-to-air grapple ... but it's whatever you get used to, I guess ... :)

Down the left side: what's that ... AOA, Mach, G-load ... ??? What's the 7.6 ??? I love how someone had to come up with another "word" for AOA .... why is "GUN" X-ed out in the bottom if it's a "gun run"??

Gun selected (black box is trigger pulled) but master arm off.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Never seen a dogfight last more than a few minutes....someone usually gets shot pretty quickly. :confused:
Roger that ... even 20+ aircraft furballs only went 2-3 minutes in my experience. Anything longer than that on a repeated basis would only serve to spark a sharp increase in Preparation-H sales over the counter at the AF BX .... :eek:

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot

AOA uses an Alpha symbol (saving space I suppose), the 7.6 is max G like on the old G meter with the hand that stays at max G, and the gun x'ed is just as described above (Master Arm in Safe). A ton of other things to help with range and closure but pretty easy to figure out.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Also according to HJ over at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:HJ32

All true. The Marines went nuts over calling their RF-4 the Rhino (even had an annual ice sculpture made for Tailhook in their infamous suite at Tailhook with the horn sprouting liquid refreshment). The Navy had to come up with a two syllable name that didn't include Hornet to avoid confusion at the boat for its "Ball call" hence emergence of Rhino. Shocker is the first time I've heard of a name preceding fleet introduction, but it arose after the Prowler community was surveyed last year and objected to Growler. The Super Hornet folks liken their aircraft to being big and gray and powerful like a Rhino so it isn't because they think its ugly at all as you observe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:HJ32
I wonder? Could it be...? :D