• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yes, I just meant that I have never had a reason to wear the leather jacket until now.

Not to sea lawyer it, but it only said Nomex wasn't authorized off base. Ergo, leather or some of those Gucci fleet issued items like fleece or Goretex are.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A Gore-Tex fits under your torso harness, and I'll take all the help I can get if I have to punch over the Cascades in winter time. :)

I've seen some of both among tacair, but I have yet to see the PR shop that orders any. My words are rooted in jealousy, not hating :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are the regs different in DC? It was a few years back but I've seen Navy in bags on the metro a couple of times on thier way to work. One Hornet driver still rocking a Tomcat Triangle. Everyone in the Air Force is in a bag, rated or not.

It was unofficially condoned by many commands in DC including the Joint Staff (the folks in 'joint' commands were able to get away with it a lot easier) until a SWO Director of Navy Staff put a stop to it in 2008 or so. There are still a few that may wear their bags but it is rare. I wonder if that changes with this new rule though, a lot of folks wear aquaflage to work in DC (not sure about the Pentagon), they may put out more restrictive regs for DC as they have in the past.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
"(D) OUTER WEAR: BROWN LEATHER JACKET. GREEN NOMEX JACKETS ARE
ONLY AUHTORIZED ON BASE AND AFLOAT"

Why is the leather jacket even mentioned? Just as a statement? The brown leather jacket IS outer wear?
Lucky me, I get to create a PPt. for the wing on the changes!(Voluntold)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"(D) OUTER WEAR: BROWN LEATHER JACKET. GREEN NOMEX JACKETS ARE
ONLY AUHTORIZED ON BASE AND AFLOAT"

Why is the leather jacket even mentioned? Just as a statement? The brown leather jacket IS outer wear?
Lucky me, I get to create a PPt. for the wing on the changes!(Voluntold)
You have to know how to read these messages. Under the sub paragraph "manner of wear," it's telling you what is authorized as "outerwear" (brown leather jacket). It then specifies the more restrictive situations when Nomex is and is not authorized. Make sense?

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Yes sir, thank you.
Also, FWIW, its nice that tan is authorized again, but we don't get issued them anymore. I received 4 sage green, as did most all of us youngins (on the Navy side).

Renegade One

None
... did anyone else appreciate the irony of AWG's hasty departure to "save money" and then the [nearly] immediate reinstatement of SDK, only to have it relegated to the optional pile. Why couldn't we just have AWG carry on as optional?!?!?!
Man, I'm with you. I was hoping that during the CONA year, they might have allowed AWGs "with ribbons" (as in the VERY old days...) as a sort of beta-test. But, they didn't, and I frankly think AWGs have been relegated to the dust bin of Naval Aviation history. Hard to imagine that any future CNO would have it on his list of "things to do" to bring back an aviation-only uniform, no matter how classy it was.
OBTW...because I don't think I ever said it before...MasterBates tried to do it the right way...penned a very well-researched and clearly articulated point paper/request "From the Fleet" on the whole AWGs thing. Got it routed, and supported, up to a pretty high step on the chain of command. Nice work, MB! Sorry it didn't pan out as you intended, but you fought a damned good fight. I, for one, wish you were still in uniform. If only so that "the system" could continue to kick you in the balls. :D
I'm putting my money on the "MB for SECNAV" line...

blackbart22

pilot
Bought my first set of Greens with a "dead horse" in '60, but never saw any worn with ribbons, just wings. We did have a dentist on the Number Ten boat that wore them. He had to have the sleeve insignia made at the Diamond patch co in Yoko though.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
....the only jacket approved for off-base wear......

A funny story from the old days regarding wearing flight jackets off-base: Wearing the jackets was verboten; so much so that at one time in the late 70's at Cecil Field, a separate jacket spotting gate guard was stationed at the front gate whose sole purpose was to catch perpetrators in the act of trying to sneak through wearing their jackets on cold mornings. Driving down 103rd Street in the morning, approaching the gate, it was common to see cars weaving back and forth as pilots were removing their jackets as they drove. One morning there appeared alongside the road, about a quarter mile from the front gate, a professionally painted and constructed sign about the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood that read, "CAUTION: FLIGHT JACKET REMOVAL AREA". Sadly, it lasted less than a day....and no one ever found out who was responsible for erecting it. But it was classic.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Sounds to me like we need to get our hands on some tan nomex jackets...
I stumbled into one at a squadron sponsored aviator Christmas. It seems an SKC had been stockpiling and the Wing was on the hunt for PreX of any kind. Funny how everyone magically was able to find enough flightsuits, etc. Of course, my rare find was a small pile of Summer Weight Tan Nomex.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I think I may be able to get my hands on one. I have some time though...at least fifty days before I can start sticking it to the man?