• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

MasterBates

Somebody needs to make me SECNAV. Who is in contention for President or at least Senator with influence before I am too old to get my own private COD?

Renegade One

None
Thanks for the insight sir. I think we are all on the same page. We are all very happy with the bottom line of the new rules, just a little confused as to why our traditions had to be removed in the process. In the F-18 community it isn't (wasn't) arbitrary which sleeve your patches are on. Not that any of it really matters, but then again it doesn't really matter what color our t-shirts are either.
Scored as a "Shack". Check switches safe...cleared to RTB.

Renegade One

None
A funny story from the old days regarding wearing flight jackets off-base: Wearing the jackets was verboten; so much so that at one time in the late 70's ...
Miramar was worse. Someone before me in this thread has made mention of the "uniquely challenging days" at "Fightertown USA" under the command of a certain COMFITAEWWINGPAC who's "JOPA Callsign" was "Field Day". 'Nuff said...
One of my most enduring memories of that time is coming to work through the North Gate off of Miramar Road...in a drenching rain...and seeing the CO of another squadron co-located in our same hangar...soaked to the skin in his khaki windbreaker (allowable outerwear...and those sucked major, by the way...) helping the Marine on the gate check that no criminals were coming through in flight jackets or flight suits. Rule was...if your JO was the last guy caught...you had the duty until you caught someone else's JO. I hope to hell there was some meeting of the Skippers where they all agreed to a "watch bill" wherein every squadron would rotate a sacrificial lamb JO through the gate just to share the pain. Don't know that was the case...but would have been HAPPY to have taken one for the team if it was...
Ah...the things we do for Naval Aviation. Don't even get me going on "Bird Watch" Duty...same COMFIT...same timeframe...same madness. We chuckle about it now...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Miramar was worse. Someone before me in this thread has made mention of the "uniquely challenging days" at "Fightertown USA" under the command of a certain COMFITAEWWINGPAC who's "JOPA Callsign" was "Field Day". 'Nuff said...
One of my most enduring memories of that time is coming to work through the North Gate off of Miramar Road...in a drenching rain...and seeing the CO of another squadron co-located in our same hangar...soaked to the skin in his khaki windbreaker (allowable outerwear...and those sucked major, by the way...) helping the Marine on the gate check that no criminals were coming through in flight jackets or flight suits. Rule was...if your JO was the last guy caught...you had the duty until you caught someone else's JO. I hope to hell there was some meeting of the Skippers where they all agreed to a "watch bill" wherein every squadron would rotate a sacrificial lamb JO through the gate just to share the pain. Don't know that was the case...but would have been HAPPY to have taken one for the team if it was...
Ah...the things we do for Naval Aviation. Don't even get me going on "Bird Watch" Duty...same COMFIT...same timeframe...same madness. We chuckle about it now...

Ahh the good old days, when all was right with the world. :D You guys still want to go back to the way it was? ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There might have been some BS rules, but the punishments weren't much and they definitely were not the career-enders they are today.
I don't think anyone's career is going down the tubes for wearing the wrong jacket - even today. ;)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Rule was...if your JO was the last guy caught...you had the duty until you caught someone else's JO.

I was at Shaw AFB in S. Carolina and a similar rule was applicable to the "Days Since Last DUI" counter at the main gate.
If you got caught for a DUI, you were responsible to go out the main gate every morning at 0630 and change the number. You had that duty until someone else got bagged, and then they had the responsibility to change the number to "1" the next morning.
It was actually a pretty effective tool since it was visible to the rest of the junior folks of the hazards of drinking and driving.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I was at Shaw AFB in S. Carolina and a similar rule was applicable to the "Days Since Last DUI" counter at the main gate.
If you got caught for a DUI, you were responsible to go out the main gate every morning at 0630 and change the number. You had that duty until someone else got bagged, and then they had the responsibility to change the number to "1" the next morning.
It was actually a pretty effective tool since it was visible to the rest of the junior folks of the hazards of drinking and driving.

Did they wait for somebody to be convicted or was an arrest enough?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I never asked that question. The way it was explained was the person who has to change the number was the last person "who had a DUI".

magnetfreezer

Generally they will punish without regard to the status of civilian courts. Know a number of troops doing the park at gate DUI lot/walk of shame or catch a ride since they're still serving their 1 year on base driving suspension even w/charges dropped.