• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
My understanding is that water temp has to be greater than 70 degrees for the dryfire shirt to be the only layer. So, around Norfolk that's a small percentage of the year.

So water temp less than 70 means wearing wetsuits when flying over water? Sounds kinda rough. In San Diego (back in the 80's) it was 60 degrees.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it starts getting colder than 50 water temp then you're talking drysuit time.
Welcome to doing SSC hops out of NASWI. Nothing like the drysuit in June.

MasterBates

Sounds like BALTOPS. Drysuits in July. When the air temp is 89.

(or in my case, my 7mm SCUBA wetsuit, because they never were able to get me a drysuit that fit.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tell that to the AW's that are required fly in a neoprene wetsuit.
I've got plenty of hours in both wet suits and dry suits. Regs aside, it is a balance of risk. Warm day warm water, no need for additional for fashion.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW – – back in the day we couldn't wear zoom bags off base. Of course nearly everyone pulled their bag down to their waist going through the gate as they went home. Everyone knew it, most all did it. No problems. (Except when Wing Adm. 'Field Day Fellows' had the conn.)

Guys didn't however wear their sweaty old bags in public places, except on very rare occasions. If you were caught and had a good excuse, no real problem. If you didn't, you were "in hack." I once stretched it.... picked up a commercial PSA flight from Oakland to San Diego in a bag with my G-suit and torso harness put in the overhead. It was wrong and I could be in trouble for that. But I had a reasonable excuse. Heavies were on board and didn't say anything to me. They knew the circumstance and cut me slack.

Back in the day, logic often trumped regs. Screw up the regs. but have reasonable logic on your side was good. Screw up without logic, suffer the consequences. We were a team. We all looked out for each other and disciplined our own when needed without major drama. Oh yeah.... we had a lot of fun too, while being the best warriors at what we were trained to do!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Back in the day, logic often trumped regs. Screw up the regs. but have reasonable logic on your side was good. Screw up without logic, suffer the consequences. We were a team. We all looked out for each other and disciplined our own when needed without major drama.

this... this is what we find lacking all too often today.

MasterBates

Yes. Logic and common sense overriding trivial regs when it makes sense.

Oh, how I wish that was more common. Because it makes sense.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Honestly, the only reason to wear a flight suit off base is if you're on a cross-country or out-and-in. Why is this a big deal. If you really need to stop on the way home, have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt at the office.

Yes, I've jammed in and out of ATMs and occasionally a gas station before I ran dry, but if you're in one place long enough to get hassled, you've already exceeded the "brief and essential" stop rule, which, by the way doesn't exist in Marine land. I lived in Jacksonville, North Carolina, for 13 years without getting hassled once. If someone is getting hassled for wearing a bag, I have no sympathy. It's your own fault and you're doing it wrong.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you really need to stop on the way home, have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt at the office.

Concur 100% with this crowd. It's not that hard to stuff a pair of shorts and some flip-flops in my backpack and go take care of business after work. Or I can go take care of business during lunch. I've done it hundreds of times and never been hassled once.

Reading what Cat said you see that he said that wearing the bag out in town was a rarity. Exceptions to the rule were made for logical, outside of the box cases. I don't think these included I needed to stop and buy a week's worth of groceries*

*If you need to buy groceries or gas, why not just stop on base? Bags are OK in the commissary.

gotta_fly

pilot
Honestly, the only reason to wear a flight suit off base is if you're on a cross-country or out-and-in. Why is this a big deal. If you really need to stop on the way home, have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt at the office.

Yes, I've jammed in and out of ATMs and occasionally a gas station before I ran dry, but if you're in one place long enough to get hassled, you've already exceeded the "brief and essential" stop rule, which, by the way doesn't exist in Marine land. I lived in Jacksonville, North Carolina, for 13 years without getting hassled once. If someone is getting hassled for wearing a bag, I have no sympathy. It's your own fault and you're doing it wrong.

What if you're the member of an alert aircrew picking up food/ supplies for the crew while operating out of a civilian airfield? I break the 'brief' part of the rule all the time, but it's always essential.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You didn't plan ahead and bring civvies. I doubt the civilian airfield ops were a last-second change.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I think bags are a great recruiting tool. Living in OK...when I was a little kid I was always in awe of seeing a pilot in their flight suit. I wanted to be just like them one day.

Guess I'm in the minority.