• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

Pags

N/A
pilot
When the powers that be care more about flight suit regs
Chickenshit rules and regs are nothing new to the military. My grandfather had em, so did my dad, and so do I.

Patton used to make his soldiers wear ties IN BATTLE and always wanted to see them clean shaven. Yet he still kicked ass.

In a book on Spruance, during the lead up to Midway, there's an anecdote where Spruance is first meeting Halsey's staff that he's taking over. The FIRST thing Halsey's CoS asked Spruance's aide was "what's the admirals policy on ties?" When the aide said "he doesn't wear a tie," the CoS pulled off his tie and stuffed it into his pocket. And this was on the eve of our greatest Naval Victory ever. And the first thing on the CoS's mind was ties.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
He also made up and wore the uniforms he wanted.

Kind of like our old CNO???

joint-chiefs-chairman-adm-michael-mullen-during-his-appearance-on-the-abc-television-show.jpg

CAMike

None
Contributor
Dress Khakis are great looking on SWO's. Too bad they were mothballed during the 80's-90's. Think of them as AWG's for SWO's.

flynnpsglovesw.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not surprising that they're back and Greens go the way of the dodo. We need a wing wearin' CNO like you read about.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not surprising that they're back and Greens go the way of the dodo. We need a wing wearin' CNO like you read about.
Not to reopen this can of worms, but Greens have been out of fashion and largely ignored by the Aviation community for 15 years. The last time I saw them worn with any regularity was in the early 90s. So, like so many other things, people only want something when they're told they can't have it.

Brett

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They're a nice looking uniform (greens), but when am I going to wear them? I wear my flightsuit everyday and if I have watch or need something else, I wear khakis. Plus, greens can't be worn off base if I understand correctly.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
At my last command we had four guys who wore them with anything that could be called regularity. If the greens hadn't been headed for extinction I would have bought a pair.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not to reopen this can of worms, but Greens have been out of fashion and largely ignored by the Aviation community for 15 years. The last time I saw them worn with any regularity was in the early 90s. So, like so many other things, people only want something when they're told they can't have it.

Brett

Greens > Khakis. Everyday of the week. More comfortable, sharper looking, and unique to aviation. What's the point of the SDKs, if those are the criteria we're going by? It's not like OODs are going to be standing watch in those shiteous things.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Were the old khaki suits (circa 1940s) made of 100% cotton? I could see where that would be a summer uniform. How is 25/75 wool/poly (SDKs) cooler than 100% tropical wool (SDBs)?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Brett

Waiting for MB to roll in hot with his JO death rattle....

I saw the Greens exactly once until they were slated to go away.

Honestly, who volunteers for a suit when a bag is allowed?

Maybe it's not suited for modern life--you don't see guys flying with ties and leather jackets, anymore, either.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
As KMAC said, if the non flight suit uniforms were of higher quality/more comfortable than the polyester crap we get, I'd want to wear them more often. Form fitting poly-wool that doesn't come in many size options isn't my idea of a great garment. The uniform regs don't say anything about your shirt having to be NEX brand or shoes having to be Bates, but you'll catch shit if they aren't.

MasterBates

Depends on climate/command.

I'd rather wear AWG than Smurf-Cam at work in the winter, and since I can't wear a bag all the time. (yeah, one of THOSE squadrons) I prefer my AWGs.

And yes, the current uniform material is CRAP. I have custom AWGs. They are nice. They are comfortable. They actually look good.

My whites/khakis? Bag of smashed assholes even when tailored and pressed right, and never comfortable temperature wise. Either too hot in summer, or not quite enough in winter. It's the material. I have older ones, from Abbots that look good.. But there is no fucking way they will fit anymore. I was 215 at OCS, and I'm about 270 now. (before you assholes roll in with fat kid jokes, I have the same waist size, chest and legs will not fit. Not even close)