• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
"(3) THE GRADUATE LEVEL AIRCREW TRAINING PATCH SHALL BE WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ONLY."

The way I read that, it's not that other patches can't be worn, it's that they can only be worn on the right shoulder. One of the O-4s in my last command was saying that a lot of guys who had been through Top Gun would wear their patches on the left shoulder in place of an American flag. I think it all comes down to where they put the "only" in the above sentence. If you put it at the beginning, it reads "Only graduate level patches can be worn." The current version says that graduate level patches can only be worn on the right shoulder, not anywhere else. It's either very poorly written if trying to govern what patches can be worn or just trying to regulate where patches can be worn and people are misreading it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, that's gonna suck. At least this time around our Commodore said "October 1, we'll be doing the t-shirt thing. I'm gonna wait until they assign me some patch police to enforce the positional patches bit."
Positional patches? As far as I recall the message just said that graduate level training patches must be worn on the right shoulder. It doesn't say you can't wear something else there, like a Det/CAC patch, it just says if you have a WTI patch, then you need to put it on the right shoulder. I think a lot of jet guys wear the WTI patch in lieu of the flag on the left shoulder and keep a T/M/S patch on the right in squadron colors.

Pags

N/A
pilot
"(3) THE GRADUATE LEVEL AIRCREW TRAINING PATCH SHALL BE WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ONLY."

The way I read that, it's not that other patches can't be worn, it's that they can only be worn on the right shoulder. One of the O-4s in my last command was saying that a lot of guys who had been through Top Gun would wear their patches on the left shoulder in place of an American flag. I think it all comes down to where they put the "only" in the above sentence. If you put it at the beginning, it reads "Only graduate level patches can be worn." The current version says that graduate level patches can only be worn on the right shoulder, not anywhere else. It's either very poorly written if trying to govern what patches can be worn or just trying to regulate where patches can be worn and people are misreading it.
I think it's also written for a very small population and it just leaves the rest of Naval Aviation saying "huh?"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Positional patches? As far as I recall the message just said that graduate level training patches must be worn on the right shoulder. It doesn't say you can't wear something else there, like a Det/CAC patch, it just says if you have a WTI patch, then you need to put it on the right shoulder. I think a lot of jet guys wear the WTI patch in lieu of the flag on the left shoulder and keep a T/M/S patch on the right in squadron colors.
WTI patches are already worn on the right side in the TACAIR community, so I'm also puzzled at the "new" regulation.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTI patches are already worn on the right side in the TACAIR community, so I'm also puzzled at the "new" regulation.

Brett

I think it is because what NavAir42 said above:

.... a lot of guys who had been through Top Gun would wear their patches on the left shoulder in place of an American flag. I think it all comes down to where they put the "only" in the above sentence.....

I have seen quite a few Top Gun grads wear their patch on their left shoulder in lieu of the American flag, they were the only ones I saw do that pretty consistently. I going to guess some ADM saw it, tried to correct it and when told there was no reg against it one soon followed. Hey, it's better than wearing the American flag backwards like the Army on their ACUs.

And this:

......people are misreading it.

Seriously, don't get your fucking panties in a bunch over this.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
. Hey, it's better than wearing the American flag backwards like the Army on their ACUs.

The flag still flies in the correct direction . . . just on the different shoulder. I'm still trying to get used to wearing the flag on my left shoulder. :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's a stupid rule. We've got lots of those. Myeh. Maybe, since this failed to get us flight suits off base, JOPA malcontent ne'er do wells will continue to do what they want, much to the chagrin of the teeth gnashing/hand wringing crowd.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
and let's not forget why these rules are here... because someone (presumably a large group of somebodies) kept complaining that they couldn't wear their bags out in town like the AF. Is it too late to say be careful for what you ask for? And who are the people who were asking for this? Please raise your hand so the rest of us can point, mock, and hate.

phrogpilot73

I don't see the big deal. EVERY USMC unit wears green t-shirts under their flight suit. We're limited to only two TOTAL patches outside our name patch. Yet, we still manage to survive, and still have a culture among our airwing units... (Blue Knight, Purple Fox, etc...)

MasterBates

It's not a big deal in itself, but it's more of a symptom.

First no more AWGs, now this, then what?

As a side note, what the hell is up with the Uniform Board consisting of civilians and retried Master Chiefs?

NO officer representation at all?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Brett

Just to clarify, in TACAIR, the patch wearers still in their production jobs wear the patch on their right sholder. Once done with production, the patch should go to the left.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to clarify, in TACAIR, the patch wearers still in their production jobs wear the patch on their right sholder. Once done with production, the patch should go to the left.
Not anymore, apparently. Our community always wears it on the left, production or otherwise.

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about we all just go with the 'ignore the stupid rule and it goes away' procedure? What are they going to do, give me demerits?

When they let us wear the bag for lunch off base, then I'll worry about this patch standardization bullshit. Until then, I'm not real concerned about the uniform board's flight suit rules.

Incidentally, I have round Velcro on both shoulders of my bags. I usually have my amcc patch on one and a E-2 patch on the other. Per this reg, as long as the amcc patch is on the right, it's kosher. I just can't for the life of me fathom why anyone thought this needed to be regulated.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The flag still flies in the correct direction . . . just on the different shoulder. I'm still trying to get used to wearing the flag on my left shoulder. :)

In the distant past ('91 Gulf War maybe?) there were a lot of guys on CNN, etc. wearing the wrong shoulder/dyslexic/retreating flag patches.

What cracks me up is seeing an occasional state flag made for a left shoulder but worn on a right shoulder. "Are you wearing a retreating _______ flag?" :)