• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I search "patch" this thread shows up at the top, and when I click on your link it says I do not have permission to view that page. Looking to buy a bunch, anyone have contact info for a vendor with a decent price? (Wings and Things gets spendy when you're ordering more than a couple.)
Try visiting the link again, you should have access to that private forum now.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
So has every started getting black T-shirts for under their bags?

Is the JOPA going to protest by not wearing black?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
We wear red. I'll wear red to the end. I hope other communities fight it, but I fear the writing is on the wall for us...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So has every started getting black T-shirts for under their bags?

Is the JOPA going to protest by not wearing black?

I've worn black for the last 6+ years and two squadrons, so it's really not that big a deal. The squadron I'm associated with now wears blue but I still wear black (why buy shirts for a month) and no one has said a thing.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I could not care less about the black t-shirts. I mean, from purely a practical standpoint I wish they had chosen navy blue, so I could use the same undershirts with my Digicammies and flightsuits, but that's no biggie.

Lots of folks around here are getting all torqued over it, saying squadron identity and history will be harmed.. If your identity is defined by a t-shirt, it's probably not worth much anyway.

Also, I think most colored t-shirts look shitty with a flightsuit. Top offenders: white, yellow, and orange shirts.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
We wear red. I'll wear red to the end. I hope other communities fight it, but I fear the writing is on the wall for us...
The "end" for you will be when Tick enforces the new rules. But hey...you wear red bow ties and cummerbunds to your dinning out and those aren't authorized either:)

MasterBates

I could not care less about the black t-shirts. I mean, from purely a practical standpoint I wish they had chosen navy blue, so I could use the same undershirts with my Digicammies and flightsuits, but that's no biggie.

Lots of folks around here are getting all torqued over it, saying squadron identity and history will be harmed.. If your identity is defined by a t-shirt, it's probably not worth much anyway.

Also, I think most colored t-shirts look shitty with a flightsuit. Top offenders: white, yellow, and orange shirts.

Just wait until we all either wear the USN equivalents of "Air Combat/Training/Mobility Command" patches, and you can't tell who the hell is in which squadron.

It's not that far of a stretch now.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

Its just one more step in the wrong direction, same with shithots. Like MB said, whats next squadron patches? Brown Shoes? Before long we'll all end up wearing the exact same uniform as the SWOs. Hell, we've already done away with the original uniform of Naval Aviation. Callsign reviews, PC Focsle Follies, policies against swearing, etc, etc, etc.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Its just one more step in the wrong direction, same with shithots. Like MB said, whats next squadron patches? Brown Shoes? Before long we'll all end up wearing the exact same uniform as the SWOs. Hell, we've already done away with the original uniform of Naval Aviation. Callsign reviews, PC Focsle Follies, policies against swearing, etc, etc, etc.

There were plenty of WWII aviators who flew wearing a tie and no squadron patch and faired just fine. In the 80s there were no brown shoes and no leather jackets, yet somehow Naval Aviation still managed to launch and recover aircraft to stave off the Red Menance.

Our uniforms have been constantly evolving. Back in the mid 40s, King pushed an all grey uniform on the fleet. It went away pretty quick, but it was still there. In the 80s you didn't wear rank on your flight suit. Of course, you also couldn't wear it through the gate or anywhere but the squadron.

Will black tshirts last? Who knows. Of course, if you wear subdued patches, it doesn't really matter.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Just wait until we all either wear the USN equivalents of "Air Combat/Training/Mobility Command" patches, and you can't tell who the hell is in which squadron.

It's not that far of a stretch now.

Yeah, that's gonna suck. At least this time around our Commodore said "October 1, we'll be doing the t-shirt thing. I'm gonna wait until they assign me some patch police to enforce the positional patches bit."