• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All you want to know about being a "chop" (Ask your STuPId Supply questions here)

ocstwentyone

ENS, SC, USN
degree has nothing to do with it. performance in your first tour is probably the biggest factor in determining which follow on tour you can get. i know for a fact that instructors at NSCS and certain internship opportunities require excellent performance at your first sea tour. that being said, you can probably go about anywhere you want to go. it's all about timing and planning ahead. talk to the detailer as soon as your window opens and let him know what you want and how you want it. it works out for most people, cause everyone wants something different. btw the rotation is 'typically' sea-shore-sea and then you would likely not go to sea again except possibly as the suppo on a big deck or maybe A suppo. when you make O-4 is when you start getting into the heavy hitting upper management.

ocstwentyone

ENS, SC, USN
HAL Pilot said:
WARchop?????? Now that's funny.....

Let me guess, they're all wearing flight jackets.....

First off, it is sad that you are so wrapped up in yourself that you think that everyone wants to be you. I didn't become a Supply Officer because I wanted to be a pilot.

That said, Supply Officers serve in or for EVERY WARFIGHTING capacity in the Navy:

- AT SEA: driving warships and simultaneously supplying the ship and the crew with the parts, food, and fuel that they need to function.. not to mention ships stores,vending, and numerous other quality of life enhancements.
- IN THE AIR: squadrons, S-6 on carriers, fuel, and aviation contracting.
- OPERATIONAL LOGISTICS: serving with Seabee battalions, Seal teams, and the newly created RIVRONS; cargo handling and prepositioning forces that support the marines, army, navy, and air force.
- ON LAND: we run FISC and DFAS, a 3 star suppo is the head of the DLA, a 3 star suppo is the head of OPNAV N4.

TELL THESE GUYS THAT THEY ARE NOT 'WARCHOPS':
- Currently 71 active duty Supply Officers serving in 'boots on the ground' billets in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ex Rigger

pilot
ocstwentyone said:
First off, it is sad that you are so wrapped up in yourself that you think that everyone wants to be you. I didn't become a Supply Officer because I wanted to be a pilot.

That said, Supply Officers serve in or for EVERY WARFIGHTING capacity in the Navy:

- AT SEA: driving warships and simultaneously supplying the ship and the crew with the parts, food, and fuel that they need to function.. not to mention ships stores,vending, and numerous other quality of life enhancements.
- OPERATIONAL LOGISTICS: serving with Seabee battalions, Seal teams, and the newly created RIVRONS; cargo handling and prepositioning forces that support the marines, army, navy, and air force.
- ON LAND: we run FISC and DFAS, a 3 star suppo is the head of the DLA, a 3 star suppo is the head of OPNAV N4.

- Currently 71 active duty Supply Officers serving in 'boots on the ground' billets in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Don't go getting your suppo panties in a bunch........

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ocstwentyone said:

Give your lecture to someone who cares. I was around the Navy and Supply Officers for a lot longer than you. I know what Supply officers do, both in aviation and on ships. I was there when the Supply officers decided they weren't getting enough respect so they made themselves Naval Aviation Supply Corp wings and Surface Warfare Supply Corps insignia.

Not matter what your young Ensign mind might think, Supply Officers are support, not warfighters. That's why they are Staff Officer and not Line Officers.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
With all due respect to you and to your superior in-service experience HAL, I have to say that though I accept the fact that my designator is a support-oriented field, I also realize that I am in a military force, and as such spend as much time as possible preparing myself for the eventuality/possibility that I will be faced with a combat situation sometime in my career. It's sort of like the idea from Starship Troopers, when Sergeant Zim is teaching the recruits how to use throwing knives..."[If you're found in a situation where you have no better weapon/no specific training] what do you do? Give up and let the other guy kill you, or throw whatever you've got at him and make him buy a part of it, too?"

I think it's foolish and irresponsible for anyone joining the military, even as a doctor/lawyer/dentist/whatever support community it may be, to assume that just because it's not in their job description that they will never fight in a war. What happens when someone on the other side comes and points a rifle at me? Say "Sorry, I'm a Staff Officer, not a Line Officer. Don't shoot, because I'm not a warfighter"?

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a tangent there, but as long as the person joining the service does so for the right reasons, responsibly, and with realistic expectations and notions, I believe that person (or persons) deserves respect. By the same token, I have to say that ocstwentyone took the ribbing a bit more personally than you probably intended.

Off my soapbox now.:D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Metro,

I agree anyone in the military can find themselves in a combat situation. However, as a general rule of thumb, Supply Corps officers do not receive training on how to fight. They do not go to TAO school, they do not go to a FRS, they do not go to SWOS, etc. They learn how to supply the fleet - a support job.

I knew many good Suppos who did their job brilliantly. A good Suppo can keep a squadron or ship ready to fight where a bad one can make it combat ineffective. But if we got into a tactical discussion around the wardroom table, they were completely loss.

When the Surface Warfare Supply Corp insignia came out, I was on the TR and OOD everything (sea & anchor, conning alongside, GQ, had all the OODs under instruction on my watch, etc.). There was an amazing number of Suppos who suddenly wanted to come to the bridge to get their PQS for the insignia signed off. When the Gator told them that if they entered the watch rotation they stayed there even after the PQS was done, all but one bailed. Later on when we were short officers to stand both bridge and combat watches, the Suppo fought tooth and nail (and succeeded) to keep his guys out of the mix. "We're not line officers and it's not part of our job" he said. Who had time to watch the evening movies in the wardroom? The staff officers (not just Supply guys).

So yes the original post last November was made some what tongue-in-check. But I always did find it interesting that every Suppo I ever met in the aviation world had both a summer and winter weight nomex flight jacket while the fliers usually could have only one or the other......

Young Ensign is proud of his community - that's good. Bit he also has a lot to learn. Lecturing those with a lot more experience in the Navy about how important he is will just get him in trouble if he tries it some where other than the internet. It's probably time a more experienced Suppo tell him that getting crap from Line officers - especially aviators - is a fact of life for Staff officers. Slinging crap back is acceptable, lecturing about his importance (especially from his vast experience in the real world) is going to quickly land him in the dog house both professionally and socially.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
HAL Pilot said:
Later on when we were short officers to stand both bridge and combat watches, the Suppo fought tooth and nail (and succeeded) to keep his guys out of the mix. "We're not line officers and it's not part of our job" he said.

Man, that's ****ed up. :icon_rage I can't believe (well, I CAN believe it, in a literal sense) that someone who volunteered to join America's fighting forces would pull some **** like that. Hope to God my senior SuppO isn't like that.

Mark my words: I will never be this type of officer, regardless of my community/job description. That's just disgraceful. Previous posts now qualified and validated HAL, my apologies if I came off a bit harsh myself.

ocstwentyone

ENS, SC, USN
Haha. I didn't take any of this personally and I wasn't lecturing anyone. Just reminding people that although we are not warfighters we are essential to the warfighting process. If I was a business manager at FEDEX then 'WarChop' would be laughable, but serving in the military and given the positions we fill above, I just get why it's so funny.

HAL Pilot said:
I agree anyone in the military can find themselves in a combat situation. However, as a general rule of thumb, Supply Corps officers do not receive training on how to fight. They do not go to TAO school, they do not go to a FRS, they do not go to SWOS, etc. They learn how to supply the fleet - a support job.

True. I didn't want to be a 'warfighter', that's why I'm a suppo, not URL.

HAL Pilot said:
I knew many good Suppos who did their job brilliantly. A good Suppo can keep a squadron or ship ready to fight where a bad one can make it combat ineffective. But if we got into a tactical discussion around the wardroom table, they were completely loss.

This in all ways across all communites.

HAL Pilot said:
When the Surface Warfare Supply Corp insignia came out, I was on the TR and OOD everything (sea & anchor, conning alongside, GQ, had all the OODs under instruction on my watch, etc.). There was an amazing number of Suppos who suddenly wanted to come to the bridge to get their PQS for the insignia signed off. When the Gator told them that if they entered the watch rotation they stayed there even after the PQS was done, all but one bailed. Later on when we were short officers to stand both bridge and combat watches, the Suppo fought tooth and nail (and succeeded) to keep his guys out of the mix. "We're not line officers and it's not part of our job" he said. Who had time to watch the evening movies in the wardroom? The staff officers (not just Supply guys).

That's horrible. I agree that Suppos should stand watch when needed, but standing watch for a normally staffed SWO crew just cause they don't want to do their job is not cool. Unless, they are going to come down and take over as FSO one night so that I can get a break.

HAL Pilot said:
So yes the original post last November was made some what tongue-in-check. But I always did find it interesting that every Suppo I ever met in the aviation world had both a summer and winter weight nomex flight jacket while the fliers usually could have only one or the other......

Perk of the job. We don't get the aviation pay or the insane SWO bonuses, so the best we can do is have nice stuff.

HAL Pilot said:
Young Ensign is proud of his community - that's good. Bit he also has a lot to learn. Lecturing those with a lot more experience in the Navy about how important he is will just get him in trouble if he tries it some where other than the internet. It's probably time a more experienced Suppo tell him that getting crap from Line officers - especially aviators - is a fact of life for Staff officers.

I already get the crap. It's all good fun. Just like my post above.

HAL Pilot said:
Slinging crap back is acceptable, lecturing about his importance (especially from his vast experience in the real world) is going to quickly land him in the dog house both professionally and socially.

Yes. Indeed.

new_recruit

What's the typical shift a supply officer works?

Do most Supply officers work 9-5 shift, or are your work hours more varied? Do any of you here ever have to work weekends? Also, do the hours you work during the week vary if you are on a ship instead of on a base. Thanks!

schwarti

Contributor
If you're interested in the Supply Corps, check out warchop.org. It's a professional forum for SC officers, and they've got some good info over there. (You'll get some here, too, but this forum isn't aimed at chops.)

lthackston

Generally, I'm onboard ship (a CG) from 6am to about 4pm. Sometimes I'm there later, rarely do I leave earlier. Being a Supply Officer at sea isn't too bad. Being a Supply Officer attached to a ship in port is a LOT of work.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Generally, I'm onboard ship (a CG) from 6am to about 4pm. Sometimes I'm there later, rarely do I leave earlier. Being a Supply Officer at sea isn't too bad. Being a Supply Officer attached to a ship in port is a LOT of work.

Not sure of you particular experience, but when underway, you also have to factor in manning the Tower for the helo, which was usually during the time when normal people like to sleep. My first cruise, the Disbo did a lot of Tower ops w/ the SuppO helping out when needed. On my second cruise, the SuppO was almost never up there unless the DisbO had a bridge watch. But to be honest, that was best for all.

lthackston

Oh, I did HCO too while underway. But I don't really count that as going towards making my job more or less difficult. Besides, it got me back involved again with Naval Aviation so I didn't really consider it being work because I enjoyed myself.