• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All you want to know about being a "chop" (Ask your STuPId Supply questions here)

Brodie143

To clarify Things and piggyback ENS Panye's Lat/Transfer/Redesignation answer:

Lateral transfer is the process of going from Staff Corp or Restricted Line (As I was) to Unrestricted Line. The reverse is also true.
Redesignation is the change in designator. I was a 1525 and now I am a 1395. Same for ENS Payne 3105 to 1375.

Both occur on the same board you have to go through. The main place to find information is go to bupers web site and go to the instructions section. Look in MILPERSMAN (Military Personnel Manual) and look for 1212-010 as it is the main instruction to apply to the board. If you are already an unrestricted line officer, you need to look at 1542-010. I know you need to get your warfare pin before you can apply to aviation training if you are unrestricted line.

unfUSN

Originally posted by chartdk
ENS Payne,

If you're still out there on this board, I was wondering if it would be cool if I lobbed a few supply questions at you. I've been selected for the fall and have pretty much gleaned all I can off the web. Yet, I'm still full of questions.

Colin

Colin-

Please feel free to email me on the boat. We are at sea right now and you are more likely to get infop that way then by posting here.

paynea@blue-ridge.navy.mil

ENS Payne

I will not be softened by the wishful thinking of pacifists
who chose reassurance over reality.
- Unknown

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Brodie and/or Payne,

do you think I could get a copy of your lat transfer package? I'm looking to transfer as well, and would appreciate the frame of reference. Thanks!

-Spencer

marti

supply life

I was wondering if there where any supply officers out there that would be willing to give a brief discription of what life is like both in port (duty rotation, daily jobs, work schedule, etc.)and at sea (daily jobs, time out, etc.).

If anyone can answer I would like to know what life is like for supply officers that volunteer for sub or MCM duties. How hard is it to get these opportunities, and what is the sea time like on subs? Do you spend more time out at sea than surface navy? What are the benifits to your carreer for taking this duty? In fact, any insight to sub life would be great.

Last but not least what are the sea shore rotations like for supply? I saw a carrer chart that showed 36sea/24shore/30sea/18PG/36shore is this pretty accurate?

Wolfpack

ENS Payne,

I tried to shoot you an email but it was returned. I think some other guys may have emailed you some questions about Supply life, job description etc. Can you post your replies here or copy me on the email? That way, you wouldn't have to retype the same info.

Thanks a lot.

frogggystyle

Too bad they don't send first tour Chops to the boat (ie subs), that is a GREAT first tour for a Suppo, you do it all, but too many first tour Chops were failing and making mistakes that even got the COs in trouble...

Our first tour as a Chop *CAN* be on a sub. My class has 6 sub billets waiting to be filled. They usually take the guys who have really high grades in the class for subs or MCMs, which is also a Department Head tour.

You have to have some leadership ability besides high graedes. Just because you do well on tests does not mean you have what it takes to be the Supply Department Head on a sub. That is why 40% of your ranking used for your orders comes from the OLQ (Officer Like Quality) board and 60% of that score comes from your academic average. They need the whole package for those Independant billets, not just some guy who can take tests well.

ditdot1975

SK1(SS)
Great, as long as they have good people supporting them. As a Chop, all you have to have to succeed is good people working for you and an open mind for their suggestions, as most of the LPO's have been doing that job for quite some time.

marti

Frogggystyle

I was wondering if you would be willing to share your opinion on suppy now that you have been in school for a little while. Have you learned anything about supply that you didn't already know, or anything you wish you did know before getting into that community. I have kept up with your unfortunate circumstances on this site and realize that supply wasn't your ideal job and like you I have had a problem that will keep me from getting gold wings too. I am trying to make the best of it and move on and am applying for supply. The funny thing is that a year ago I would never have applied for supply, but I came around and see it as a pretty good opportunity. Anyway, life goes on. I would just appreciate some of your observations of supply and supply school if you don't mind giving them.

frogggystyle

The people take care of each other. No other community (so I am told) has the social weaving like the Supply Corps does. We really depend on each other(so I am told) to get things done.

I guess those are some good things. As for the job itself... Well, all I can say is that Supply was a means to an end for me. It was the only way I was going to be able to stay active duty Navy and keep my commission so I can retire in 8 years. I wanted Intel before I even went to OCS because I know that is where I would best fit in with my particular talents. Unfortunately, Suplpy was about the only thign available for me, so I took what I could get. I don't regret it, nor am I about to look a gifthorse in the mouth. I just know my talents are better used in another field that I could not get in to.

I haven't been to the fleet yet to do the job, so I guess only time will tell how I like it. As of now, I see the things we have to learn and I wonder why the hell I am in this field. At this moment, I don't feel as though this is where I belong. I'll stick it out until I can finish a Masters in Health Care Admin and then get a redesignation to Medical Service Corps. That'll be my only shot at keeping my commission and going somewhere in the Navy that I am familiar with. (I was a Corpsman for 10 years.)

The money Supply Corps officers can make on the outside is nice, though. I always hear about the headhunters that companies send out to try and persuade Chops to come to work for them. I've yet to hear of any offer for less than 6 figures. Supply is a good way to go if you are business-minded and like accounting. For me, I like to work with my mind a bit more. This is number crunching, something of which I am not fond of.

lunar

life in supply

this one has been done before, but can anyone tell me how lifestyle in supply contrasts to that of pilot? my recruiter is telling me i have a shot at both with a "great" astb and a 3.8 gpa in environmental sci (which is NOT technical according to the navy - BAH!). for one, i'm concerned about where i (and potential family) may be stationed. areas of interest to me are san diego, florida, japan and singapore. where exactly do f18/14s operate out of? people tell me supply billets go everywhere, and most get their pick. how realistic is it really that i could get into, say, singapore on a whim? also, how does time away from home compare with that of an pilot?

i almost feel guilty here, seeing how some people want to be pilots so badly can't make it, and my attitude is more along the lines of "it'd be nice." but honestly, flying is something that i take more akin as my hobby than professional work. and i know i definitely don't want to fly commercial afterward. i suppose basically what i'm getting at is that while i want to serve, i don't want to feel as though i am restricting my career options... and i get the impression that supply will open far more doors once i am out of the navy than a pilot would. if i go in as supply, is it still possible to move into pilot down the line?

finally if there're any oceanography officers on the board, could they give me an overview of their naval life? thanks

GSKiker

SNA On my Way to P'cola
Geez, where to start.

First of all, if you can not go into the aviation community with a better attitude, or with more of a, "wholly sh-t, I am going to be a pilot" attitude, then dont go. It seems you may be more suited for supply with the attitude that you presently have, I am not saying its a bad one, just wrong for the aviation community in general. Now onto duty stations, who told you that you can get stationed in Singapore. The last i knew, we only stop in there every once in a while, you may want to check on that.

You can get stationed anywhere as a supply officer, they are everywhere, especially on ships. Pilots are dependant on what they fly. If you want jets, I definately suggest an attitude change, but there is no garuntee on anything. it is based on the needs of the Navy. If twenty people are up for selection and the Navy needs 20 crop dusters, then that is what they all will be. Although being top of your class may give you a little more of a choice.

The lifestyle for each of the communities is different, and they do vary greatly. The best thing to do is to talk to someone from the communities that you are interested in.
Ok, I am tired of typing someone else pick up from where I left off.

Later

GSKiker

SNA On my Way to P'cola
Also.....jusy because you score great on the ASTB does not mean anything. Pilot slots are hard to come by......there are more things to consider when being selected than just ASTB and GPA.