• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I was SDO the day an AF CV-22 came in and did a couple of "touch and goes" at Navy, which is a pretty loose term since it seemed to come nearly to a full stop each time. First time I'd ever seen one--the Marines were really excited, even though it was an AF plane.

On the issue of going slow during landing...does anyone know why that is? I've watched a couple dozen landings now and they seem to get really slow on final...just curious ...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
On the issue of going slow during landing...does anyone know why that is? I've watched a couple dozen landings now and they seem to get really slow on final...just curious ...

I'm guessing that for one thing you're watching landings at base, which are admin. The other thing is that VMMT-204 is over half of the Ospreys on New River, and you're probably watching a 100-level student land.

Short final in an Osprey is as fast as a CH-46 or 53. One reason it might appear slower is that the deceleration in a V-22 is constant, whereas a lot of helos come in at a similar speed, but pull in a big flare at the bottom.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I'm guessing that for one thing you're watching landings at base, which are admin. The other thing is that VMMT-204 is over half of the Ospreys on New River, and you're probably watching a 100-level student land.

Short final in an Osprey is as fast as a CH-46 or 53. One reason it might appear slower is that the deceleration in a V-22 is constant, whereas a lot of helos come in at a similar speed, but pull in a big flare at the bottom.

Thanks, I was just wondering because I have been hearing a lot of the 53 bubbas complain about getting stuck behind them and having problems slowing down enough to maintain a safe distance without making departing the normal approach numbers...could very well be VMMT-204 though...

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks, I was just wondering because I have been hearing a lot of the 53 bubbas complain about getting stuck behind them and having problems slowing down enough to maintain a safe distance without making departing the normal approach numbers...could very well be VMMT-204 though...

Oh, the irony of a helo getting stuck behind an Osprey...I'll have to take that back. We usually make fun of everyone else!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's a plane?

I think most people in Naval Aviation refer to an aircraft as a "plane" - as in "Let's meet at the plane to preflight in about 20 minutes". Whether it be fixed wing, helo, or "powered lift"

Our point nose brethren love the word "jet" as in "Senior Chief have you fixed my jet yet ?" or "Master Jet Base" (which sounds a little Air Force-ish to me)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think most people in Naval Aviation refer to an aircraft as a "plane" - as in "Let's meet at the plane to preflight in about 20 minutes". Whether it be fixed wing, helo, or "powered lift"

Our point nose brethren love the word "jet" as in "Senior Chief have you fixed my jet yet ?" or "Master Jet Base" (which sounds a little Air Force-ish to me)
I remember hearing a lot of "jet" and "strap on" from the jet guys in the dirty shirt on the TR.

I strap on my jet in 30 minutes.

Let's go strap on our jets.

For some reason, it always gave me amusing mental images.....:eek:

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I remember hearing a lot of "jet" and "strap on" from the jet guys in the dirty shirt on the TR.

I strap on my jet in 30 minutes.

Let's go strap on our jets.

For some reason, it always gave me amusing mental images.....:eek:

Is there a cooler phallic symbol in the world than a jet? :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ospreys deployed!

AFSOC is hot on the heels of the Marines in deployment of the Osprey to Iraq and plans to deploy their CV-22 variant by January 2009. In preparation to do so, they are sending a pilot and maintainer along with the Marines when they deploy in September.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I have a question:

Is the USAF chipping in for all this R&D? The Marine Corps has sunk a LOT of funding into the Osprey, is the Air Force paying their fair share? Or are they just saying, "Oh cool, I'll take what they are having."

This is something I have always wondered about and never asked.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I'm pretty sure all services were interested in the Osprey from the get-go, just not so much as the Corps.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ, do you know why they took the 22 out of the CSAR-X competition?

It costs beaucoup bucks for a company to submit a proposal in response to a RFP as well as taking literally hundreds of folks off important work to put together the multi-volume materials required by the government. Bell-Boeing would love to build more V-22s, BUT they made the decison not to submit and it was likely because they felt service was looking for something else and the time and expense would be a long shot at best.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The CSAR-X KPPs (key performance parameters--the criteria by which a design is evaluated) were written in such a manner as to emphasize the attributes of a conventional helo (e.g. lift capacity and high altitude hover) and minimize value of the V-22's range and speed. Plus, their max price was a couple mil under the V-22 flyaway cost. I've heard some attribute this to some particular USAF officers in key procurement roles in the program who are in the anti-V22-crowd. Maybe they have legitimate tactical reasons to bias the criteria that way. To me, speed and range would appear to be big assets for SAR.

I think the USAF CSAR community will be upset when their SOF brothers in CV-22s, or even worse Marines in V-22s, grab a long range SAR or TRAP mission from right under their noses.