• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
New Book Being Published: The Dream Machine, The Untold History Of The Notorious V-22 Osprey

516gk6UmxXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Machine...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270843454&sr=8-1

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
AFSOC (I believe) MV-22 down in Afghanistan. Black week for American air power...

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/04/09/nato-osprey-chopper-crashes/?test=latestnews

USAF CV-22. Yes, the rumors are already flying, and as always, lets wait for real news to come out about it. Wait for real news outlets, especially ones that know about aerospace, to release news, not the tinfoil hat, Carlton Meyer crowd.

Afghanistan's a dangerous place for any rotorcraft, and something was bound to happen eventually. My composite HMM squadron had two Class As and three Bs and below over a 2 1/2 month period there back in 01-02.

The SOCOM types, like AFSOC, wreck a lot of gear that doesn't usually make the news. This wasn't exactly something that was going to be overlooked by the media, though.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I hope this does not ground the fleet.

Why would that happen?

Fleets are only grounded for defective parts found in the supply system and such. There's no reason to suspect that's the case here.

Aircraft fly, so eventually some crash. If you want a mishap rate of 0, just keep them all in the hangar.

Lawman

None
I vote flight data recorder/IMDS, whatever they call it in the Osprey.

Agreed. If your watching the last two minutes of the tape and you hear something like "Im inadvertant!" chances are you can make a safe assumption that mechanical failure had nothing to do with it.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I vote that 99% of the time, the cause of a mishap is fairly obvious, especially when there are surviving witnesses. Then 3 months are spent tying everything into a neat bow.

As far as the leak of the information, it could be political, or it could be just an undisciplined individual spouting off at the mouth.