• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I neither quoted anyone nor did I made any arguments whatsoever, just came across this page and presented it for discussion. I am not qualified enough and don't know enough to make an argument one way or another.

You're absolutely right. You did not quote anyone or make any arguments. My bad. Still don't think I would have posted a Facebook page like that on Airwarriors in order to determine that validity of its' comments.

getswole0763

Howdy yall i am posting on a new account because i forgot the password to my old one from a couple years ago.

ANYWAYS, i am wondering if anybody can answer why i saw a single Osprey flying about 10 miles north of MCAS Miramar yesterday at around 3:30 pm. I nearly shat a brick haha. I don't recall any V-22's being stationed at Miramar/Pendleton unless i'm highly unaware? hmmmm

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Howdy yall i am posting on a new account because i forgot the password to my old one from a couple years ago.

ANYWAYS, i am wondering if anybody can answer why i saw a single Osprey flying about 10 miles north of MCAS Miramar yesterday at around 3:30 pm. I nearly shat a brick haha. I don't recall any V-22's being stationed at Miramar/Pendleton unless i'm highly unaware? hmmmm

Well start getting used to it as 161 is almost complete with their transition and there's about 7 or so more after that. Google V-22 press releases in the SD area and reread this thread, that should bring you up to speed.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
In a couple months there will be 2 official VMM squadrons at Miramar. There is already VMM-161 as mentioned above. Next in line is my squadron (HMM-166) that will be doing the transition after getting home from this current deployment.

getswole0763

Well start getting used to it as 161 is almost complete with their transition and there's about 7 or so more after that. Google V-22 press releases in the SD area and reread this thread, that should bring you up to speed.

In a couple months there will be 2 official VMM squadrons at Miramar. There is already VMM-161 as mentioned above. Next in line is my squadron (HMM-166) that will be doing the transition after getting home from this current deployment.

Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the answers. I'll definitely check out those press releases.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
@phrogdriver - What is the percentage of up aircraft in your squadron and how does that compare to non-Osprey squadrons? I understand the number will be lower because it's a new airframe, just curious if things are getting better. And do the aircraft typically go down because of avionics/electrical problems? With an aircraft that is heavily dependent on it's computers (fly-by-wire) I would assume you'd see more problems in these areas.

Pags

N/A
pilot
@phrogdriver - What is the percentage of up aircraft in your squadron and how does that compare to non-Osprey squadrons? I understand the number will be lower because it's a new airframe, just curious if things are getting better. And do the aircraft typically go down because of avionics/electrical problems? With an aircraft that is heavily dependent on it's computers (fly-by-wire) I would assume you'd see more problems in these areas.

can't speak directly to the osprey, but for a lot of tron heavy a/c like the 60S, the fix is usually just to R/R the black box.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
can't speak directly to the osprey, but for a lot of tron heavy a/c like the 60S, the fix is usually just to R/R the black box.

Tron heavy? -60S? Ha! What do you have, a couple of TV screens and a joystick w/ a laser beam? I bet most it was all made this millinium, too!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Tron heavy? -60S? Ha! What do you have, a couple of TV screens and a joystick w/ a laser beam? I bet most it was all made this millinium, too!

Well, more so than the Phrog which is what I assumed he was using as his comparison point.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

I'm not going to quote exact numbers here. It's no secret that aircraft availablility is an issue. The Osprey's readiness is still not where the other aircraft are. Not dramatically lower, but enough to be an issue. I'd say parts availability is still an problem. There have been times when a part either goes in a bird in the factory or on the flightline. As a SWAG based on nothing more than reading ADBs, I'd say avi gripes are most common by far, if for no other reason than there's a lot of electronics and pilots are quick to bitch if a doo-dad doesn't work. Those don't usually take that long to fix. However, when you see a long-term down aircraft, it's often a flightline or flight control gripe waiting for a part.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it ain't over the unclass line, where do the Osprey squadrons draw the lines between FMC, PMC and NMC?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't see anything in the article about the possibility of deploying a reserve squadron full of 45+ year old aircraft for an annual exercise because the Osprey set fire to LZs in Haiti. Just sayin'...

I had been holding my tongue earlier, but, well, here it goes... You're right. When the Ospreys came into the main airport LZ, everyone had to wait for them to depart or arrive, just like the -53s. Sure, they could go fast and carry stuff, but I never saw one in any LZ I went to. They had the same problem as the -53s, they just created too much of a mess when they landed. Many of the LZs were either unprepared or very small w/ things around it that could be damaged, and as such, neither platform went in there.

Can't speak for the Ospreys, like I said, I didn't see them very often other than the one that broke down at PaP, but the -53s still provided a fantastic service. They were always running supplies over the mountains to Jacamel and moved lots of people, both healthy and otherwise. The Ospreys could have done the same kind of good stuff (and perhaps they did), but they certainly weren't the linchpin in the operation.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It could have been used to better effect---think ferrying stuff around the whole Carribean/Gulf. As it was, though, I think it was a bit, uh, publicity oriented. I haven't talked to the guys out there, so I don't really know.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It could have been used to better effect---think ferrying stuff around the whole Carribean/Gulf. As it was, though, I think it was a bit, uh, publicity oriented. I haven't talked to the guys out there, so I don't really know.

I totally agree. Other than the division of Ospreys I posted a picture of at GITMO, I never really heard them running back and forth, unlike the -53s (who probably made at least 4 trips a day) and the C-2s.