• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force OTS --- wow.. hardcore

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
"They should get beat because we got beat", huh? Who cares what the hell they do at OTS? If the end product is what they want, then what difference does it make? I bet there are some SEALs that would think PLC/OCC'ers had it easy too. Theres always going to be people that have it worse than you and those that have it easier. What did you expect from the Air Force for crying out loud?

I do agree with your premise, but what the hell is it that they want? A bunch of grabasstic weiners? How do they develop combat leadership in that environment? They must have a helluva NCO corps over on the blue side. I wonder if Wharton sends classes there the way they send them to Quantico. Lucky them.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I do agree with your premise, but what the hell is it that they want? A bunch of grabasstic weiners? How do they develop combat leadership in that environment? They must have a helluva NCO corps over on the blue side. I wonder if Wharton sends classes there the way they send them to Quantico. Lucky them.

Combat leadership? Have you ever seen more aggressive combat pilots than F-15 or A-10 drivers? How about AFSOC PJ's?

You have a lot more in common with these guys/gals than differences my friend.

We are all cut from the same mold - which is good! Yes Marine Corps traditions are distinct and the USMC has a fine warrior culture. But you could swap places with theses guys and you would all pretty much be the same in the end as far as warfighting and leadership. They just learn in differently!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

It has been said again and again in this thread but here it is again.

-90% of the Air Force wont see combat so they really dont need a fix bayonets type combat leadership and the ones that need it get it elsewhere

This school trains them to do what the Air Force expects them to do nothing more nothing less. Do a det at an Air Force base and you will see that there are many things that they have figured out quite well.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I know it's a highly functional service. And I've worked with some PJs. They're great at what they do. I'm not trying to prove that we have longer schlongs than AF bubbas or anything. I was just a bit shocked that this stuff was coming from an entry level indoc course where you're supposed to be knocked on your ass and you live like a spartan for a few months. I'm interested in their evolution from this to the final product now.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I know it's a highly functional service. And I've worked with some PJs. They're great at what they do. I'm not trying to prove that we have longer schlongs than AF bubbas or anything. I was just a bit shocked that this stuff was coming from an entry level indoc course where you're supposed to be knocked on your ass and you live like a spartan for a few months. I'm interested in their evolution from this to the final product now.

You still dont get it. Let go of the brainwashing for a second. They never live like Spartans-THEY DONT HAVE TO IN ORDER TO ACCOMPLISH THEIR MISSION. They launch satelites, sit in missile silos and a few fly combat missions in a similar way as the USMC/USN does.
This may come as a shock but they are looking to recruit the guy in the Physics club to make SDI work, not the linebacker who will take down Fallujah. The physics club guy doesnt need to be knocked on his ass to fix/design SDI-in fact it is probably counterproductive.

The intent and procedures for Marine training and that of the Air Force are apples and oranges accept it, this is rapidly deteriorating.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You still dont get it. Let go of the brainwashing for a second. They never live like Spartans-THEY DONT HAVE TO IN ORDER TO ACCOMPLISH THEIR MISSION. They launch satelites, sit in missile silos and a few fly combat missions in a similar way as the USMC/USN does.
This may come as a shock but they are looking to recruit the guy in the Physics club to make SDI work, not the linebacker who will take down Fallujah. The physics club guy doesnt need to be knocked on his ass to fix/design SDI-in fact it is probably counterproductive.

The intent and procedures for Marine training and that of the Air Force are apples and oranges accept it, this is rapidly deteriorating.

I DO get it though. I didn't say they SHOULD go through the same type of indoctrination; just that I was, in a way, at first surprised that they didn't. I was wrong a few lines up, but now I think we're just talking past each other.

Just an interesting side note...I'm the vice president of the Physics club.

plc67

pilot
. It's a matter of perspective. My stepfather and his Old Corps buddies were absolutely appalled when they read "Making The Corps." One stated emphatically that he was glad he was in the Corps "before they became the God Damned Girl Scouts."
When I bragged about my 1967 Jr. PLC experiences I was told that I wasn't even in the ballpark with The Old Breed, not to mention I was going to be a pilot which isn't even a real Marine.
Then not too long ago on this board, I can barely write this, I read that Quantico is now comparable to Navy OCS. That damn near put me into therapy; in fact I'm going to sign off and go have a drink.

pal215

None
My favorite part is towards the nede where they're sitting there pointing their handguns at each other. Probably the first and only time they'll ever hold one.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
- but they are no less a warrior than any Marine or Navy type.

So how the hell do they get that way considering the type of culture they have and the relative lack of martial rigor in their training?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So how the hell do they get that way considering the type of culture they have and the relative lack of martial rigor in their training?

Concur, I was defending the fact that the training produces what they want but I think warrior is a strong term for over 75% of the Air Force.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Concur, I was defending the fact that the training produces what they want but I think warrior is a strong term for over 75% of the Air Force.

It's a strong term for over 75% of the military as a whole. The Marine Corps does a credible job of instilling that mentality, at least, in a significant portion of its members, at least at the point they leave initial training. The others have subsets within them of particular communities with that ethos, but don't do it as a whole.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This is like the old AOCS versus new OCS threads. Anyone that went to AOCS wonders about today's training. But the bottomline is that it works. Navy flyers are as good as they ever were.

Status
Not open for further replies.