• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-pool to Clean-up Oil

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
At least you'll have job satisfaction for once in A pool.

Random sidebar: 6 of us were tasked to go to an Elementary school in Alabama and talk to 6th graders about character, success, staying in school, the military, etc. and then got to hang out and play kickball and eat with them on their last day of school. The teachers are inviting the 6 of us to come back in the fall and do it again. So yeah, today, the satisfaction was there. The kids were awesome and for once it actually felt like you were making some kind of difference and not just like you got chosen to do something at random. Just wanted to share because it was cool for me and if Flt Mgmt wants to give out more opportunities like this, I have no problem with it.

/Sidebar

jtmedli

pilot
Random sidebar: 6 of us were tasked to go to an Elementary school in Alabama and talk to 6th graders about character, success, staying in school, the military, etc. and then got to hang out and play kickball and eat with them on their last day of school. The teachers are inviting the 6 of us to come back in the fall and do it again. So yeah, today, the satisfaction was there. The kids were awesome and for once it actually felt like you were making some kind of difference and not just like you got chosen to do something at random. Just wanted to share because it was cool for me and if Flt Mgmt wants to give out more opportunities like this, I have no problem with it.

/Sidebar

That's pretty awesome...I would have no problem spending time in the A-pool doing stuff like that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Wow, Ensigns are happy when they aren't treated free, annoying labor. Surprise!

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
On my first deployment (back yonder, when still enlisted) I got shoved into a Habitat for Humanity job. I bitched because I didn't want to do it, and I thought I was getting screwed. I actually had a good time, and enjoyed the work. I did many more of them, even when I got stateside. The idea of it is going to suck, but you'll probably feel good about having done it. Do you hunt, fish, or enjoy the beach? Do you like clean beaches? Then sack up and do it. When other folks down the line talk about it, you get the relief of saying "I did my part." Given your paid free time, consider it an investment. Take some pictures with some friends, and savor the fact that you did something useful.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
On my first deployment ... I bitched because I didn't want to do it ... I was getting screwed ... I actually had a good time, and enjoyed the work ... I did many more of them, even when I got stateside ... The idea of it is going to suck, but you'll probably feel good about having done it ... sack up and do it. When other folks down the line talk about it, you get the relief of saying "I did my part."... Take some pictures with some friends, and savor the fact that you did something useful.

Well, I'll be damned.

That was -- nearly word for word -- our initial Liberty briefing prior to the first cruise/first foray across the Scenic Shit River and hitting Olongapo, the girls, and the bars for the first time ...
:)

Mabuhay. :)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Restrictive laws have pushed the companies to the deep water vs. the more shallow, safer and, easier to drill in waters. Deep Water drilling is more dangerous and more suceptable to mishaps becasue of the increased risk associated with it. Shit went wrong and a rig blew up

That's a bit of a stretch. Deepwater Horizon certainly did not blow up because she was a deep water rig.

My admitedly biased, Chevron-sourced understanding is that this is just one instance of a long line of BP negligent f-ups (no, not Transocean) that have screwed things up for everyone else.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
That's a bit of a stretch. Deepwater Horizon certainly did not blow up because she was a deep water rig.

I disagree. Deepwater drilling is not just dangerous because of the depth of the piping; it's dangerous because at those depths, things like ice-trapped methane hydrates become a real concern. Stirring them up is what made early attempts to seal the rupture fail, and likely caused the original blowout. They are not a concern in shallower, warmer, nearshore water.

The blame on BP would be because they chose to drill in a known methane-rich area. Of course, their disaster response has sucked, too.

phrogpilot73

Wow, Ensigns are happy when they aren't treated free, annoying labor. Surprise!
Being in the military isn't always about being happy. This won't be the first time, nor the last time that you are counted on to provide "free, annoying labor." The only difference is that you'll be standing in front of Sailors/Marines who are being told to do the same thing. Are you going to be the douche that bitches about it to them? Or are you going to be a leader?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Being in the military isn't always about being happy. This won't be the first time, nor the last time that you are counted on to provide "free, annoying labor." The only difference is that you'll be standing in front of Sailors/Marines who are being told to do the same thing. Are you going to be the douche that bitches about it to them? Or are you going to be a leader?

Sarcasm was missed? I'm not saying we deserve much of anything down here. We haven't done much. If my number got called for some shitty job, I'll go do it, and I sure as shit won't bitch and whine in front of the Sailors/Marines. There's a wardroom for that business.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I disagree. Deepwater drilling is not just dangerous because of the depth of the piping; it's dangerous because at those depths, things like ice-trapped methane hydrates become a real concern. Stirring them up is what made early attempts to seal the rupture fail, and likely caused the original blowout. They are not a concern in shallower, warmer, nearshore water.

The blame on BP would be because they chose to drill in a known methane-rich area. Of course, their disaster response has sucked, too.

I don't intend to discount the added complexities of deepwater drilling. I am under the impression, however, that this was a preventable accident, regardless of its nature a deepwater project.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I am under the impression, however, that this was a preventable accident....
Preventable?? Then it wouldn't be an 'accident', would it ??? :)

At least one dictionary sez: An
accident is a specific, unidentifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects; an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss, casualty, or mishap.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I can't help but notice how most--if not all--of the people who are giving this guy a hard time are already winged. Yeah, rewind a few years and put yourself back in the pool. Would you be a bit perturbed? You're damn right. It's all too easy for you guys to make judgement from afar when it's not you in the biohazard suit on the beach. Just my $.02. Let the flaming begin!!

Dude, my "Stash Job" in A-Pool was to crank out NMCI accounts for everyone entering NATTC. I would have preferred being on the beach doing something with some purpose. Its not passing judgement from a far as much as it is judgement based on a little experience. Then when A-pool makes the news for shooting birds, stealing the peg leg pete's statue, running golf carts into waffle houses, driving a car through someones house then leaving the scene, and pulling a knife on someone it doesn't give a whole lot of credibility to your case when trying to wiggle out of some meaningful work.