• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-pool to Clean-up Oil

870express

Hey, I'm sorry if that came off wrong, I wasn't trying to offend anyone or whine. It was a misplaced joke, I know. Actually me and my room mate both got assigned to this detail and have spent the whole weekend just really curious about what was going to be going on. And yes, I do find it exciting to be a part of something bigger than myself. I'm really looking forward to getting into class in the morning and actually finding out what we will be up to, since this will most likely be a long term project. On a more useful note, does anyone know if we are going to have to get the new NWU's/do many of you already have them?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
38%20Bicyling%20Backwards.jpg

870express said:
Hey, I'm sorry if that came off wrong, I wasn't trying to offend anyone or whine. It was a misplaced joke, I know.
Bull shit - you meant it. Until you changed it after seeing the response to your "joke", your profile said something like "first day and already getting screwed". You're a douche bag and no amount of backpedaling will change that.

stickygdm

pilot
Ladies and Gentlemen, young officers--prospective naval aviators, in Pensacola, right now your Country is asking you to help. Put your hard working hands and minds to work and contribute. "Ask not what your Country can do for you..." We have very few moments in our careers where we may make a difference This might seem insignificant to you but this moment is significant to your Country. Right now your Country is the Gulf Coast.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Does anybody else here plan on helping with a cleanup not associated with the pools? I would really like to get involved, but I need the flexibility to still train. I get the feeling like trying to work in with the pools (Marine or Navy) would be the wrong avenue to take if flexibility is a requirement.

Edit: Oh yeah, and way to lead from the front there express. You would fit in great with the 18 year olds down at the barracks. Oh wait, they work for a living.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey I would be pissed too. I gather many did not join the Navy to clean up BP and Transocean's problems caused by a lack of forsight. I really hope that all Federal Agencies are billing BP for the Taxpayer assets that are being provided, I hate to think that my tax dollars are going to fund a free labor and equipment pool for BP and Transocean among others.

BP has a $163.3 Billion dollar market cap. Earnings per share last quarter came in at $1.40 per share. Transocean who owns the rig has a market cap of 23.3 Billion. Earnings per share last quarter came in at $2.21 per share.

Afterall, BP could hire contractors by the truckload at about $15-$30 an hour and send them down to clean up beaches Tomorrow (we do have roughly a 17% U6 unemployment rate afterall), of course, that would be expensive. And why would a Company incur the labor expense when the US Taxpayer can??

I agree. However, I recently read an article that talks about how the government has some type of insurance policy of sorts to handle this stuff and as a result BP would only have to pay the first 75 million bucks towards the cost of the clean up. Apparently there is something like 20 Billion dollars in an account somewhere that was funded by (wait for it) a "small" tax on oil production and importation.

So bottom line is that legally all BP has to pay is a small fraction of the cost of their mistake. It's almost a no lose scenario for them.

I'm going to attempt to dig up that article and post a link now.

Edit: Okay so it's more like 1.6 Billion in the bank for oil spills, but BP is still only legally responsible for 75 million.

Link http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/us/02liability.html

Casual

Jammin'
None
... BP would only have to pay the first 75 million bucks towards the cost of the clean up.
Link http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/us/02liability.html

If you read the article, it says that the trust fund is for compensating people affected by the oil spill, not for cleaning up the oil spill. BP is still responsible for paying for the clean up.

FTA:

Under the law that established the reserve, called the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, the operators of the offshore rig face no more than $75 million in liability for the damages that might be claimed by individuals, companies or the government, although they are responsible for the cost of containing and cleaning up the spill.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you read the article, it says that the trust fund is for compensating people affected by the oil spill, not for cleaning up the oil spill. BP is still responsible for paying for the clean up.

FTA:

Under the law that established the reserve, called the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, the operators of the offshore rig face no more than $75 million in liability for the damages that might be claimed by individuals, companies or the government, although they are responsible for the cost of containing and cleaning up the spill.

Okay, so maybe I skimmed the article...:ashamed_1 (-1 for being a retard)

BP still gets off easy.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
let the shafting begin....see you all at 0715...

If you think that is shafting, you are in for a long 8-10 years. Just resign now and save everyone the headaches of having to deal with you and your attitude.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey ... give the poor fool 870express (is that as in Remington 870 Express ??) a break ... as he lives on S. Navy Blvd. The heart of Mainside -- outside the gate.

I used to inhabit 509-B ... S. Navy Blvd ... :eek:

punx_clever

The "training" this morning was filled with the kind of bitching from 870...

"Why are we doing this?"
"Why isn't BP doing this?"

From the group of pool ensigns. In front of a bunch of a-school seamen / PO3's. I don't have a problem with joking around and making the best of the situation, but sitting there bitching (especially in front of the junior enlisted) was ridiculous.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Hey I would be pissed too. I gather many did not join the Navy to clean up BP and Transocean's problems caused by a lack of forsight. I really hope that all Federal Agencies are billing BP for the Taxpayer assets that are being provided, I hate to think that my tax dollars are going to fund a free labor and equipment pool for BP and Transocean among others.

I didn't join the Marines to pick up 50-year old brass out of ice, hand out food to Haitians, or pluck people out of attics in Katrina, but, well, when there's a job to be done (and a noble and legal one), you go f**king do it. You can either sit here and bitch about who's responsible or clean it up now and send them a bill later.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor

BP has a $163.3 Billion dollar market cap. Earnings per share last quarter came in at $1.40 per share. Transocean who owns the rig has a market cap of 23.3 Billion. Earnings per share last quarter came in at $2.21 per share.

Afterall, BP could hire contractors by the truckload at about $15-$30 an hour and send them down to clean up beaches Tomorrow (we do have roughly a 17% U6 unemployment rate afterall), of course, that would be expensive. And why would a Company incur the labor expense when the US Taxpayer can??

Being from New Orleans I agree that BP should do its part in the cleanup, but the gov't is equally to blame for a different reason. Restrictive drilling laws off our coasts have made deep water drilling both attractive and lucrative. Restrictive laws have pushed the companies to the deep water vs. the more shallow, safer and, easier to drill in waters. Deep Water drilling is more dangerous and more suceptable to mishaps becasue of the increased risk associated with it. Shit went wrong and a rig blew up, but I would much rather have BP, gov't tax dollars, and some A-Poole Ensigns work together to help save the coast instead of relying on one and watching the destruction of the coast in the process.

As for Transocean they will get off fairly easy! If you're looking for a beat down stock to buy this one might be the one. The contract between BP and RIG states that Transocean is responsible for the rig while BP is responsible for environmental cleanup. The rig was insured for most of if not all of the loss. So I would expect any help transocean gives an added bonus as they are technically not responsible for the actual spill. Lawsuits will be a drop in the bucket compared to the cleanup costs for BP.

A-Poole your not doing anything. Don't even try to lie and say you are studying! Get out there and cleanup the beach. If for nothing else so you can have a beach as well as fresh seafood to eat.

None of us are entitled to be a part of Naval Aviation it is a great priveledge and by no means a right. Be the best you possibly can both as an officer and a citizen.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None

"Why are we doing this?"

From the group of pool ensigns. In front of a bunch of a-school seamen / PO3's. I don't have a problem with joking around and making the best of the situation, but sitting there bitching (especially in front of the junior enlisted) was ridiculous.

Troof. I'm all for bitching and whining among your peers, but never in front of junior folks.

I'm in the oil business, so my loyalties lie with the oil company. But, they do need to clean this shit up. I'm absolutely amazed that BP would sign a contract with Transocean that put them on the hook for 100% of cleanup costs. Bad move on their part. It's TransOcean's rig with TransOcean's people doing TransOcean's processes. BP is simply contracting them to dig a hold for them. How BP would make themselves liable for the cleanup when TransOcean is the one that (allegedly) gooned it up is beyond me. I say "allegedly" because drilling for oil is risky business. Bad things can go down. Sometimes a well blowout can be so bad that there isn't enough equipment or processes to stop it. Nature can be a mean bitch when you decide to mess with her.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

"Why are we doing this?"

Tell anyone who is wondering why they are assisting to read the Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Sea Power; the Navy's official strategy. One of the core tennents is Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Response.
Last time I checked, a big oil spill is a disaster; therefore according to the CNO we are involved.

That being said, a bitching sailor is a happy sailor!