• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few System questions

MasterBates

If you hate this sort of BS, stay the hell away from HSL/HSM.

You have been warned. Do not make me smoke you on RI-17 for this... :D

hscs

pilot
Completely agree -- how about you ask your on wing -- "How does knowing the filter specs help me with a fuel related emergency?"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Completely agree -- how about you ask your on wing -- "How does knowing the filter specs help me with a fuel related emergency?"

Because if you ask the wrong guy that question, you'll get your crank stepped on. I'm not saying it should be that way, but it does happen. Only ILJoe will know whether he can pull that off.

I'm w/ Zab. If "someone" is making you learn those things, head on down to maintenance and ask the guys down there. I'm guessing this is a research project about how much you care, and not something that you're actually getting graded on.

As for you guys poo-pooing the helo guys for this kind of system jackassery...there are some out there that play this game. HSL is known for it, and from what all my VP buds say, they play this too. Just know not all of us are like that, and it's up to "us" to change the culture.

hscs

pilot
How about another idea -- those of you HT IPs, use the stan board to correct IP's who pull sh-- like this.

Circle K

pilot
I'm not close to OFT-11X yet, but it seems like Gator and his "us" are working pretty well in HSL (no word on HSM West). None of the IPs have gone into that kind of systems nazism. Although there are apparently bonus points for being able to spit out the chemical name of the fire extinguishers without stuttering.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How about another idea -- those of you HT IPs, use the stan board to correct IP's who pull sh-- like this.

Let me preface this post by saying I'm not an HT IP, nor do any of us but ILJoe really know the depth of these questions, but here's my take...

Like I said earlier, I have a feeling that the questions are for an onwing research project. One of those "go find the answers to these, and you'll probably learn more useful stuff along the way." I'm guessing that the questions aren't really for a grade, per se. How beneficial this actually is is certainly up for debate.

I had one of my onwings ask me about a fuel system question on the T-34. I didn't know the answer, nor did I care if he knew the answer, but when over at A/C issue, we called for a troubleshooter, and he came in and talked to us about the system. Turns out we stumped him for a few minutes, but in the end, we learned something. I don't ever expect a stud to answer the question correctly if I ask them that again, but if they can talk through the system and take a guess, then it could be beneficial. Obviously there's limits to how in depth you should go.

@Circle K:

That's good to hear. If only everyone could see the light.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you hate this sort of BS, stay the hell away from HSL/HSM.

You have been warned. Do not make me smoke you on RI-17 for this... :D

Are they still calling it an RI-17? That used to be our pre-check and RI-18 was the big daddy.

MasterBates

Not sure, 17 was the "real" check when I was there, and RI 18 was the "administrative" check for your instrument rating.

I did my 17 and 18 in one day (my birthday, no less) on an out and in.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
He does this stuff on every brief. He likes detail i guess. Whatever. When he tells me to find these thigns out, whether they are part of MPTS or not, I dont waste my time fighting it, i play the game like everyone else. Winging is my goal not whining.
Anyways if anyone was interested
Generator out light is connected to the Reverse current relay on the bravo, and its far more complicated on the charlie.

Ext Fuel Filter 10 microns, Light turns on at 1.2PSID, Bypasses at 4.5PSID

Eng fuel filter 7 microns.

The eng fuel pump puts out .3 Gallons per minute at 150PSIG (654 RPM)
and 3.4 GPM at 600 PSIG (3754 RPM)

If anyone wants a detailed discussion of the FCU and Nf govenor I can do that now to.
Later
Joe

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Are they still calling it an RI-17? That used to be our pre-check and RI-18 was the big daddy.

18 is the big one now.

My onwing in HTs had me look up what the planetary and sun gears in the 57's tranny looked like as a research project. Just wanted us to see how much more info was in the MIMs and to pick the maintainers' brains. He didn't care if we retained that knowledge, just wanted us to see what kind of info was out there and how to get it. I thought it was beneficial looking thru the MIMs. That and it prepared me for HSL. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go study for my TOFT-3X.

MasterBates

Joe,

You got the right idea. Play the game, and realize that some of this is to get you to look at some stuff to get an understanding, and just not rote NATOPS memorization.

And some of it is just the standard student harrasment package..

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
18 is the big one now.

My onwing in HTs had me look up what the planetary and sun gears in the 57's tranny looked like as a research project. Just wanted us to see how much more info was in the MIMs and to pick the maintainers' brains. He didn't care if we retained that knowledge, just wanted us to see what kind of info was out there and how to get it. I thought it was beneficial looking thru the MIMs. That and it prepared me for HSL. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go study for my TOFT-3X.

Yeah um, he expected us to have those drawn out too, which we did, not too hard but still a pain.