• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9/11 Thoughts

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I remember being in my 10th grade english class and watching it on the TV and being very angry that I was not old enough to join the military. Then I ran out to the pay-phones and called my step-brother who was on his way to work at the WTC and fortunately did not get hurt.

MasterBates

I remember when I first saw it, I was at OCS. At first I thought it was just an OCS mind-fvck game.

Then I saw it on over at PSD when I was on my way to get my ENS ID. This was before the 2nd plane hit, I saw the 2nd tower get hit live.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I was getting ready for school in my room, when my mom told me a plane just hit the WTC - I thought she was just making a sick joke but I came into the front room and watched - I still can't describe how I felt when I saw the second plane hit live.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I was in a high school English class. Crazy old Mr. Fletcher (an ex-CIA spook who never fully integrated back into normal life after the wall fell) ran in and said, "Have you heard? It's terrible! Some terrorists have hijacked a plane from Boston and crashed it into the World Trade Center."

Plugged in the TV, I MacGyvered an antenna for it with a coat hanger, and we saw he 2nd plane hit live.

The rest of the day, I went from class to class where all we could do was watch the info stream on Fox. Every room had some weird jury-rigged antenna on the TV. Paperclip chains, yardsticks, chalk rails, even a 6ft folding ladder.

It's funny, the stuff you remember.

I remember being in school when the rumor went around. The teachers tried to keep everything under wraps until a few kids were called out one by one. A few of them got the really bad news.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
If anyone visits New York, I highly reccomend going to St. Paul's Chapel, right next to Ground Zero. Truly amazing place. Every time I go, I have a mixed bag of feelings of saddness, inability to comprehend what happened, patriotism and pride in being an American, anger, and resolve.

p88711-New_York-St_Pauls_Church_interior.jpg

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I was a senior and there was a field trip from my school to New York that day. They were supposed to be on the observation deck of one of the World Trade Towers at 9 AM. Fortunately, they got caught in traffic and never made it on the island. They were sitting in a restaurant when they saw the towers fall.

I remember just walking from class to class that day and just watching the TV all day. One of my teachers even tried to continue teaching. That ended as soon as one of the students was able to turn the TV on.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I remember sitting in Calc II at USNA when the first hit. Word spread quite fast and most of us watched the 2nd plane hit. Classes for the day were shortly cancelled and everyone was cramming into each wardroom to watch the news.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I just got done watching MSNBC replaying the live broadcast of that day...I was good until they showed the firefighters walking in there after the first WTC building fell...man I am not gonna get any sleep tonight..I wish more Americans were like them...what an emotionally draining experience...

VIZKRIEG

KILL
I was a junior in High School, in Fairfax County, VA. They turned off all of the TVs in most classes and wouldn't tell us what was happening, so a group of us just left, and drove up as close as we could get to the Pentagon. One of the most sobering experiences of my life.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I was in Trig my sophomore year in high school. They came over the intercom and told the teachers to turn the TVs on. When the newscasters were speculating on what type of 'accident' had occured at the first tower, my teacher (total bitch) goes "we have a lot to do today" and turns off the TV. 10 minutes later or so, they came over the intercom again and said something about "this terrible tragedy" and my whole class was like WTF?!

I do remember at lunch that day, a bunch of the guys, including myself, were sitting around thinking about volunteering if they reinstated the draft. What a crazy day. God bless all those who died, and all of you who serve.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
It was nice to see McCain and Obama "put aside politics" for the day and meet at Ground Zero but I still wonder if anything is truly non-political. Isn't that a political claim in and of itself?
Sure it's political, but in my opinion, in this case, it's ok. It's a nice bipartisan gesture.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It was my first semester in college. I had a 0800 class and that day it was a short 20 question quiz and thats it. Thats the only class I had to i took the quiz and got on the bus back home. This was a bus route where the drivers changed shifts at one of the stops downtown before moving on. The new driver got on the bus flipping out about what just happened. I had no clue and thought the guy was crazy. Made it home and watched the rest of the events unfold.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I was in the ready room on the Enterprise getting prepared for a later flight. Somebody called down to the ready room and told us to turn on the TV. We were off the coast of Oman and on our way home after 5 months at sea, the last two of which were in the gulf. Within an hour we were turned around and pointing towards pakistan. Within a month we were bombing afghanistan.