• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8APRIL2024 SWO Board

Y-sky

SWO select
Yes you can lateral convert, but you’d need your SWO pin at minimum and the community manager has to let you go.
The quals would 100% help but it’s still not guaranteed.

This is what I was told.
Thanks, that aligns with what my recruiter was saying. Just after talking to the AD I got worried I'm missing something and shooting myself in the foot

exNavyOffRec

Guys, when my recruiter suggested SWO as second option (first being Intel, which i wasnt picked up for) he said I could do a lateral move to Intel after 2 years given I get all required qualifications. Then I talked to a current active duty applicant who is looking to commission into the IWC community, and he told me that such move is possible if I specify so on my package and apply for the actual swo-intel spots, not general swo. Is anyone familiar with this?
SWO-Intel isn't a thing for OCS applicants, it is on the books buy they have had no quota for a long time, I don't even know if NROTC or USNA are even getting any of those. It doesn't matter if you put down you want to go into Intel later it matters how your performance is as a SWO and how you stack up against those who also want to lateral. It has been said many times over the years that you should pick a designator to go into that you would be happy to be in for a career as there are no guarantees.

Y-sky

SWO select
Don’t apply for something you aren’t willing to do is the general consensus. Don’t bank on transferring.
SWO-Intel isn't a thing for OCS applicants, it is on the books buy they have had no quota for a long time, I don't even know if NROTC or USNA are even getting any of those. It doesn't matter if you put down you want to go into Intel later it matters how your performance is as a SWO and how you stack up against those who also want to lateral. It has been said many times over the years that you should pick a designator to go into that you would be happy to be in for a career as there are no guarantees.
I hear you both, it's a generally good rule for life to do what you love. However, a path to our goal is most often not a straightforward one. Sometimes it's smarter to go through a door that opened up rather than wait in front of the one that remains closed. For me personally was simply important to know that I have a transfer option, though not guaranteed, and not having been deceived. I might even end up liking SWO, who knows.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I hear you both, it's a generally good rule for life to do what you love. However, a path to our goal is most often not a straightforward one. Sometimes it's smarter to go through a door that opened up rather than wait in front of the one that remains closed. For me personally was simply important to know that I have a transfer option, though not guaranteed, and not having been deceived. I might even end up liking SWO, who knows.

From my perspective, I would not consider going SWO if you have any sort of doubt or 100% in to the program.

It’s a bit of a disservice to the Navy and your command showing up and being “I’m here but I really don’t want to be here”.

Y-sky

SWO select
From my perspective, I would not consider going SWO if you have any sort of doubt or 100% in to the program.

It’s a bit of a disservice to the Navy and your command showing up and being “I’m here but I really don’t want to be here”.
One can find people you describe in every line of work and walk of life.

When I do something, sir, I give it my all. While Intel fits right into the education I received and I'm best tailored to it among the designators, becoming a Navy Officer is the ultimate goal. I believe the Navy will only benefit from commissioning someone as dedicated, adaptable and passionate as me.