• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

53s vs 60s

S.O.B.

pilot
1rotorhead said:
Guess it comes down to preference. BMW vs. Suburban

I don’t think the comparison works. Most BMWs will outrun a suburban but a 60 even an empty sierra won’t out run a 53.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1rotorhead said:
You should think about lifestyle as well. Living on a smallboy is far different than living on a carrier or gator.

And of course which is "better" depends on your preference.

Also, the only place HSL does inserts is in Bruce Willis movies.

Or Ford Island, at night on goggles. App: "Do you have clearance to enter the TFR?" Me: "That's affirmative." App: "Uh, roger, cleared to enter, then."

S.O.B.

pilot
1rotorhead said:
You should think about lifestyle as well. Living on a smallboy is far different than living on a carrier or gator. Also, the only place HSL does inserts is in Bruce Willis movies.

Flat in Bahrain VS USS Ship?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
MasterBates said:
Pags,

What me and gator have been talking about, is that these airframes are more similar than they are different. Not trying to piss in your wheaties, but if I am remembering right you are a H2P/FRP. Me and Gator are both HACs and FCPs with a good chank of experience.

Remember, we do VERTREP and SpecOps insertions as well. Look at the airframes side by side. The main beams are the same. Transmissions Same. Heads same save for the biflars.

Tailwheel AND bifilars for Block 1 60S and Block 2 60S NOT THE SAME. 29' footprint means that our tail wheel is located 16 ft further aft than yours...

The blackhawk frame of the 60S worked for the Blackhawk. It does NOT work for the additional weight on the head for folding hardware without additional shims...unfortunally hindsight is 20/20...When I talked to the engineers on the assembly line about this...THIS IS WHAT THEY SAID WAS CAUSING THE CRACKS. Don't tell me that the reason is VERTREP. We do it well and we do it right. PERIOD.

ANYONE, such as yourself there Master, who was an FCF/HAC god KNOWS how just a little bit of weight off center in the cabin throws the vibes of this aircraft RIGHT OFF. Now, put the tailgear 16' further back on your airframe and tell me that there aren't going to be some problems with vibrations.

Secondly, the tail rotor authority between the legacy SEAHAWK and 60S is damn near doubled on the latter. Sikorsky based this off the ability of a lighter airframe to tolerate higher side loads...something that the Blackhawk has demonstrated since it was introduced in the 70s.

Try talking to people who know what they are talking about (not HAZREPS...as I know that you'll find that there is NO proof of sideloads increasing stress on the points WHERE THE CRACKS ARE OCCURING) such as the people on the assembly like at Sikorsky, before listening to a bunch of bitter Dept. Heads whine about how they should have gone HC.

My .02.

Plus, Pags and Scorch are both smarter than me. Don't confuse their rational thinking with my rants and raves.

~D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Pags said:
...But am not trying to say that you guys are wrong.

I'll be happy to Pags.

You guys are wrong.

Y? Because 1) I have 700 hrs in the 60S, 2) about 150 FCFing them 3) 100 figuring out that to get your vibes in on the 140KIAS run, you have to hold your breath and 4) have been to the Sikorsky plant (which includes the 2hr engineering conversation previously mentioned.

edit: sounded condesending and doesn't sound like a lot of experience. I, however, don't read HAZREPS and make assumptions about other airframes. What was this thread about anyway...sorry...blinded by rage.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Wow, somebody struck a nerve there.

I'm sorry...I've just been told by one too many HS O4s while on the deck of the Carrier that "you can't fly the aircraft that way. It's against NATOPS." or "You're begging to lose tail-rotor effectiveness flying like that" or (and this one is kinda true) "you shouldn't fly in the CAUTION/AVOID regions so much" when they 1) don't fly the S and 2) don't know what my NATOPS says. If they REALLY cared, I'd tell them. But I know, that deep down inside, in places we don't talk about...they just wish it was them flying...not me.

~D

S.O.B.

pilot
ChunksJR said:
I'll be happy to Pags.

I, however, don't read HAZREPS and make assumptions about other airframes. What was this thread about anyway...sorry...blinded by rage.

53 VS 60 :)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
S.O.B. said:

Oh yeah...

So both are helos which means they're fun.

There is a little creedence to the BMW v. Suburban comment above, as the 53 lumbers a lot like a large aircraft should/does...so it can't have as tight of a pattern as the 60, but again, when we got called to help in Pakistan from Bahrain, the H-53s cross countried straight there...in like 3-4 legs. We had to be carted there via C-17. Depending on the Chair Force always sucks.

~D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
Oh yeah...

So both are helos which means they're fun.

There is a little creedence to the BMW v. Suburban comment above, as the 53 lumbers a lot like a large aircraft should/does...so it can't have as tight of a pattern as the 60, but again, when we got called to help in Pakistan from Bahrain, the H-53s cross countried straight there...in like 3-4 legs. We had to be carted there via C-17. Depending on the Chair Force always sucks.

~D

Crossed Iranian airspace?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
S.O.B. said:
Just a little from what I've heard.

Negative...path in black, below...at least...officially. Be careful what you "hear" and then later print. That's how rumors get started...

Attachments

• oman_map.gif
    oman_map.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 112

S.O.B.

pilot
ChunksJR said:
Negative...path in black, below...at least...officially. Be careful what you "hear" and then later print. That's how rumors get started...

I can't belive I got lectured by the kid who posted a pick of himself smoking a pipe on line.