• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

53s vs 60s

WarEagleEnsign

Helo Stud
I haven’t been on here in a while, so I hope this isn’t a topic that was recently covered in detail (I did try a quick search – didn’t find anything off hand). Anyways, I wing this July, and have been seriously thinking about 53s Norfolk. I have heard some bad things about them (i.e. no flight time, always broken, etc.) and wanted to know how much of that stuff is true. I’ve always thought 53s were bad ass, but if those guys never get to fly, or it’s a career ender, it might not be worth it. That being said, I would love to hear anything ya’ll have to say about HS, HSL, HSC, etc. Is it new platform (Sierra or Romeo) or bust, or is HS still a good deal? Is HSL as bad as it is rumored to be in the training squadrons?
Anything you can offer will be helpful. I haven’t made up my mind by a long shot, and want to hear what guys in the fleet/FRS think.

Thanks

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I just started in the East Coast HSL FRS and like it so far. No one here has been a douche, and Mayport really isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. I'm sure its no San Diego, but I digress. My onwing was an HSL guy and he, among others, convinced me to go HSL. Every HSL bubba I flew with in 18 had nothing but good things to say about the community. Obviously I don't have the experience and opinion many of the other guys on here do, but thats my 2 cents.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I have been out of the fleet a couple years, but I have buddies here on shore duty who are 53 pilots. As you may have noticed I fly 60's, HS specifically.
Most of the BS stuff you hear: helos broken, it's no fun, there is no future is just that, BS. Pick a mission that sounds interesting to you and go from there. I was interested in the overland stuff when I was in the HT's so I went HS. After the fact learning ASW turned out to be pretty interesting and fun as well. Now days you can potentially get into the overland stuff with a certain 53 squadron (I think), HS or HSC.
If mine hunting sounds interesting go 53's. My buddies love their community just as much as I love mine. Do keep in mind that the Navy is moving towards an all 60 fleet, BUT it sounds like (through unofficial channels) that the Navy might sign on with the Marines for the 53K, which would keep 53s in the fleet for long past your career.
Also, when I say pick a mission, I also mean learn about the "whole" mission. All helo communities do much more than their "wartime" mission (mine hunting, ASW, CSAR, etc.), and you spend a lot of time doing that other stuff. I can't speak for HM/HC, but in HS we spend about half our time training for overwater missions (ASW etc.) and the other half training for overland missions (CSAR, SOF sppt, etc.). When we are on cruise we spend A LOT of time in plane guard (and closely related missions SSC, FSO, etc.), but also a good amount of time overland doing cool stuff.
Feel free to ask questions on AW, we are all happy to help you learn about the various communities so that you can make an informed choice that you will be happy with.

S.O.B.

pilot
Agree with HH-60H. The MH53Es will be around for a long time. All MHs are being modified for NVDs and glass cockpit is not far down the road. The big complaints you will here about HM are lack of flight time and towing. I’m not sure what guys are getting now but I left the squadron with 1100 hours and only like nine something in model (I should point out that those are 3710 hours not HC hours) as for towing I had around 80, I spent almost twice as much time FCFing as I did towing. HM-15 has the Bahrain DET (best deal in the Navy). I’ve flown most of the 60’s and their fun but you just can’t compare them to 53s. Whatever you do stay away from sierras (just my opinion). Something else to look at is advancement. Traditionally HM has beat all communities in this respect (almost always 100% for department head).

S.O.B.

pilot
mike172 said:
Why stay away from the Sierras?

Again this is all personnel preference but Sierras wouldn’t be my choice because of their limited range and airframe cracks. I’m not sure how the fleet does but when I went through 3 they would go weeks with only one and sometimes zero up aircraft. Pretty sad for an aircraft that's only a few years old. If this thing was a hundi we’d be getting our money back.

KBayDog

S.O.B. said:
If this thing was a hundi we’d be getting our money back.

Are you proposing, say, 10-year/10,000-hour nose-to-tail warranties on all new Naval aircraft?

(You could also try for Employee Pricing, 0% APR for the first 72 months and a $500 military discount...)

/end threadjack

S.O.B.

pilot
KBayDog said:
Are you proposing, say, 10-year/10,000-hour nose-to-tail warranties on all new Naval aircraft?

(You could also try for Employee Pricing, 0% APR for the first 72 months and a $500 military discount...)

/end threadjack

Sounds good but I was insinuating that the Sierra would be covered by the lemon law in most states.

MasterBates

Honestly, I think a good chunk of the problem is that the HACs who flew 46's (Most O-4s, and probably still a good numer of LTs) try to fly it like one.

You WILL crack the main beams with repeated sideflares. They only have a 5-7K hour life in a bird that is flown normally to begin with. Bird is NOT meant to fly that way.

We should have kept the Phrog, IMHO.

S.O.B.

pilot
MasterBates said:
Honestly, I think a good chunk of the problem is that the HACs who flew 46's (Most O-4s, and probably still a good numer of LTs) try to fly it like one.

You WILL crack the main beams with repeated sideflares. They only have a 5-7K hour life in a bird that is flown normally to begin with. Bird is NOT meant to fly that way.

We should have kept the Phrog, IMHO.

We should have replaced the phrog with Merlins.

MasterBates said:
You WILL crack the main beams with repeated sideflares...Bird is NOT meant to fly that way.

Met a couple Sierra bubbas on cruise last summer (LT jg's); all they talked about was how bad ass it was to "flare the ****" out of those things. Guess it comes with a price.

I assume they have since put a stop to it, right?

-jai5w4

Pags

N/A
pilot
the cracks are mainly from putting a different, heavier head on an airframe that was stressed for the blackhawk rotorhead. it changes the vibes and loads on the airframe, but these issues are being addressed as they come up and fixes are being implemented. it's nothing dangerous, nor is it nothing new, i've heard that the hotels had similar problems when they came out. sikorsky's analyses can only predict so much.

the fuel problem has been addressed with the ERFS in the back, or, once the stub wings show up, we can throw some drops on them, as long as someone buys them or we manage to comshaw a few from the army. and it's perfectly safe to sideflare them at or below 45kts.

in a few years (10ish or so) the 60 squadrons will all be flying either 60S or 60R (big fat cow). HS-8 is going to be the first HS sqadron to make the transition to HSC.

all this being said, HSC is a great community from what I've seen so far...i'm sure ChunksJR can give you a more experienced voice from the other end of a sea tour.

All my buddies who are 53 guys love it, and all of god's chosen: the 60 pilots, love it too. you're gonna end up drinking the kool-aid no matter where you go. but, just look at the missions and the people from each community. most IPs in the HTs will gladly take the time to share a glass of kool-aid with you.

MasterBates

Pags said:
All my buddies who are 53 guys love it, and all of god's chosen: the 60 pilots, love it too. you're gonna end up drinking the kool-aid no matter where you go. but, just look at the missions and the people from each community. most IPs in the HTs will gladly take the time to share a glass of kool-aid with you.

Maybe I drank the Jet or Huey Kool Aid by accident?:icon_smil

Hard to convince a former 206/Huey Guy that 60s are cool. 300 pound date in a size 8 dress best describes the Bravo. The Romeo packed on a few more pounds.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Also, the 53 sim(s?) is/are going down in August for 9 months... enjoy your time in New River.

Pags

N/A
pilot
MasterBates said:
Maybe I drank the Jet or Huey Kool Aid by accident?:icon_smil

Hard to convince a former 206/Huey Guy that 60s are cool. 300 pound date in a size 8 dress best describes the Bravo. The Romeo packed on a few more pounds.
Maybe it's just the wrong 60 :)

Yeah, the 60B is the girl you thought you might be able to convince to lose a few pounds while dating, but then you got married and she grew into the lovely, "curvy" girl that is the 60R.