• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 August, September, October, etc. OCS Boards

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
Does anyone know how many NFOs they're going to be taking in Aug? Obviously I'd assume nobody knows the exact number, but I'd assume spots must be harder to come by than 5 years ago b/c the P-8 and Growler have fewer NFOs than do P-3s and Prowlers.

Hey cmcalvert, not sure if this will help answer your question. But I'm a flight instructor at NAS Whidbey Island where the rag for the prowlers and growlers and and a lot of P-3s are based. One of my new students is an NFO who just recently got commissioned and got out of flight school and he was sent to the Prowler rag! So they are still churning out flight officers for them. And from what I have seen of the EA-6B to the F/A-18G, it will take a long time to phase out the P-3s and bring in the P-8s so they will likely still be making NFOs for them. I don't know if there is even an estimated date for them to come into service. So my guess is they will still need a decent amount. Again, this is just a guess based off what I have seen and what my students have told me. Hope that helps, and good luck! Let me know if there is anything I can ask them to help you out.

As far as the whole MEPS thing, I know my OR got it from his NRD ( a bit interesting because NRD is in LA with my OR and myself in Honolulu) I have know Idea if it came down from CNRC or not. I was just giving the heads up so anyone else could ping there OR if they felt concerned or wanted to do MEPS. He didn't make it seem like it was do or die for the app but just matter-of-factly sent me the paperwork and asked me when I could make an appointment. So I agree with brenbuck if your OR says your packet is cool it probably is.

GreenLantern330

As far as the whole MEPS thing, I know my OR got it from his NRD ( a bit interesting because NRD is in LA with my OR and myself in Honolulu) I have no Idea if it came down from CNRC or not. I was just giving the heads up so anyone else could ping there OR if they felt concerned or wanted to do MEPS. He didn't make it seem like it was do or die for the app but just matter-of-factly sent me the paperwork and asked me when I could make an appointment. So I agree with brenbuck if your OR says your packet is cool it probably is.

FIFY. Also, I think it just depends on the NRD. Not all NRDs are requiring MEPs to be done prior to pro-rec. Some already have before all this backlog with cancelled boards and what not. I don't really think it's been set as a standard yet. Like it's been said before, imagine the amount of money that would be spent conducting physicals on every single person applying, when most of them won't even be selected. Some NRDs probably just want to make sure you're medically qualified before they send your application off, you get selected, go to OCS, and then find out during that physical during indoc week that you're not. So, just because one NRD has suddenly changed their application process to include a pre pro-rec physical, does not necessarily mean it's the same for every other applicant.

GreenLantern330

Has anyone's OR been making you guys do the PRT to include in your package? I thought it was suspended, but apparently a buddy of mine who got selected a few months ago told me he still had to do one before selection.

Lucy

My OR and OP have said the PRT is now optional. Can add if stellar but otherwise not gonna have much impact. Other ORs might require it as part of their process though.

My OR said that as well. That for OCS it is no longer required until you get to OCS. At least that has been the case with the last few of his applicants that are now at OCS.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Hey cmcalvert, not sure if this will help answer your question. But I'm a flight instructor at NAS Whidbey Island where the rag for the prowlers and growlers and and a lot of P-3s are based. One of my new students is an NFO who just recently got commissioned and got out of flight school and he was sent to the Prowler rag! So they are still churning out flight officers for them. And from what I have seen of the EA-6B to the F/A-18G, it will take a long time to phase out the P-3s and bring in the P-8s so they will likely still be making NFOs for them. I don't know if there is even an estimated date for them to come into service. So my guess is they will still need a decent amount. Again, this is just a guess based off what I have seen and what my students have told me. Hope that helps, and good luck! Let me know if there is anything I can ask them to help you out.

Thanks. That's good to know. I've not heard or read anywhere that the demand for NFOs will be declining in the coming years, but I just can't imagine it wouldn't decline given the new aircraft the Navy is / will be flying.

Finally finished with my packet. Made it through MEPs with no real problems. I guess it is just the waiting game now. Here is rolling the dice for Aug board.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

The P-8 is still a little ways off. The first squadron will be standing up the P-8 when they get back from deployment, but the P-3 will be with us for some time still. You would have to talk to a VAQ guy to get better information, but Prowlers are getting harder to come by... they still take them but the EA-18G is coming online rather quickly now.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The only reason I'm thinking of leaving pilot out of my top 3 is because getting a spot in Supply is better than no spot at all.

Any advice or info would be appreciated!

Seriously?! Is this for real? Do you want to be a pilot or don't you? If you do put it down. If not, then don't apply. But you're not going to game the system. And why would you put SWO in there at all if you want aviation, except as a back up?

I have a history degree, I didn't apply to be a Naval Historian. You're degree doesn't mean jack shit unless you have a technical degree and even then you have to carry a decent GPA. If you want to sell yourself short fine, but in the end if you wanted to be a pilot and didnt ask for it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Lucy

Packet just needs signed. Added a LOR from a Lt. SWO and great endorsement from a post command O-5 SWO.

Hope everyone is doing well and good luck with finishing up packets.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Wouldn't worry about it...the higher up he referenced could just be his local NRD command. It does not necessarily mean the CNRC told all NRDs to make everyone go to MEPS. As long as your recruiter says you are all set, don't sweat it.

I have been told by recruiters in three different NRD's that MEPS is now required prior to applying (JAX, Atlanta, Miami). Was told by my own recruiter in the JAX NRD that they got a memo about 2 weeks ago stating it was now a requirement. For me, this is huge problem because I had PRK done in April and will have to wait a long time to even be able to go through MEPS and then finally apply. I do not even know what to do at this point, because otherwise, my package would be ready in time for August boards.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
This might help. I read through the new/updated recruiting manual. It was updated May 20th. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/Directives/1131_2E%20CHAPTER%204.pdf Section 040303 (search MEPS) states that it is recommened to the Officer Processor to start MEPS early/concurrently with the package, however, MEPS only needs to be approved within 30 days of ProRec, not before application-Section 040304.

:)

Thanks a lot for this! I will go over it with my OR as soon as I get back into town in 3 weeks. I doubt I would be able to clear MEPS at 30 days either though if I got an August board proreq (say 2-3 weeks after boards), but it said extensions to 90 days can be granted, and I would only need somewhere between 30-50 days after a proreq to have my 6 months completed after PRK (late October) and then able to go through MEPS. I am definitely going to try as hard as I can to get a package in for August since the way things have been lately, there is no telling when future boards may convene.

Lucy

Good luck, but be careful. NRDs might have made the MEPS prior a rule, so don't get yourself into trouble with your OR. They still outrank you. :)