• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

NewComb

every person I put in that had flight hours had high ASTB scores so not really any impact, unfortunately I saw more with significant flight hours not make it through the program than I did those with no flight hours, the ones that came home after being dropped said what the issue that had with was adjusting to how the USN did certain things.

I could and see a person with flight experience and a lower ASTB getting picked over a person with the same score with no flight experience, at least you are then picking someone who knows what it is like to pilot an aircraft, it is a better bet.

The thing is to wow them with scores.

For reference

GoldLeaf

For reference
I've seen and understand that however, they got into the program. Yes scores are the primary indicator and ultimately when you get there you have to have a clean slate mentality like you've never flown. Otherwise, if you have an ego, you wash out. Hence SNA- STUDENT

JoeBob1788

One time a NFO told me a joke about NFOs. Said they are called "The hilt of the spear"
My dad was a 30 year Tomcat RIO… he told me NFO stands for “No Future Outside” ?

I applied for both. I have 9 years AD and I’m 33… not a lot of time left, and my pa had a heck of time so I’ll take what I can get. If I don’t get either, I’ll keep enjoying my time in EOD.

BDavis11

Contributor
I was going to take my checkride had to cancel twice due to weather and college ?

I was the only person who applied as both SNA NFO on the august. Believe my recruiter was confused when the results came out
I would have made number two, but I got pushed due to my command sitting on my app.

BDavis11

Contributor
My dad was a 30 year Tomcat RIO… he told me NFO stands for “No Future Outside” ?

I applied for both. I have 9 years AD and I’m 33… not a lot of time left, and my pa had a heck of time so I’ll take what I can get. If I don’t get either, I’ll keep enjoying my time in EOD.
Yea I’ll try the amdo route next

exNavyOffRec

I was going to take my checkride had to cancel twice due to weather and college ?

I was the only person who applied as both SNA NFO on the august. Believe my recruiter was confused when the results came out
When they fill SNA spots and still need to fill SNFO spots they will look at any that put SNFO so your recruiter shouldn't have been too surprised if he understood the process.

That is why we say if you only want SNA then only put SNA.

exNavyOffRec

ahhahahah I would be too, however my recruiter did say if you put NFO at all with a good packet for SNA (High PFAR and FOFAR, Hours, Rating, etc.) they will likely grab you up for NFO because they have to diversify it. Also, talked with my GF father (retired Naval Pilot) said they do that at the end of primary sometimes also. Example: just because you're top 10 in your class the can't send all 10 to jets. Otherwise long term jets will be super good and all the other platforms with be average or below, I'm assuming same concept with selections.
They won't switch a person that is already in the pipeline unless it is requested (long shot) or a medical issue prevents a person from being an SNA.

BDavis11

Contributor

Also figured if I get nfo, I can still work towards my pilots license while in and go commercial after. All on the navy’s dollar Ofcourse

FloridaDad

That was my mindset when I was applying, my job situation was less than stellar so I was willing to take NFO just to be in a plane and get in ASAP. Now I have a great job so I’m not in any rush, but I have to worry about getting picked up for NFO and hurting my chances for SNA if I decline…
I get you totally bro! Because of my family and my age all logic says I should put both SNA and SNFO to maximize my chances. I don't want to miss out entirely and put my family in a tough spot just because I wanted to fly the plane myself so badly haha. But at the same time, I don't want to end up as an NFO when I could have been a pilot and fulfilled a life long dream! I'd be happy with both... but I'd be SIGNIFICANTLY more excited to become a pilot. I'd be blessed to have a career as an NFO, but I'd spend that career wishing every single day that I was the one flying the aircraft. Gotta get those scores high enough to warrant the risk of only putting one option I suppose.
I didn’t spend $3k on getting fancy new eyeballs to sit in the back dammit
You and me both! LASIK wasn't cheap man and I could've just saved the money and gone for NFO but dang it I want to fly so freaking badly!