• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

chefmike1126

I just wish they were more professional about the whole thing - not a good example of effective leadership.
Honestly this is one of the programs (OCS) that puts out results the fastest... When you are an enlisted sailor you wait almost a year for E7 promotion results. So its not as bad as some of you may think. Things like this are no fast all bases must be covered and as far as being transparent welcome to the military/gov.

jlwade

Honestly this is one of the programs (OCS) that puts out results the fastest... When you are an enlisted sailor you wait almost a year for E7 promotion results. So its not as bad as some of you may think. Things like this are no fast all bases must be covered and as far as being transparent welcome to the military/gov.

As a veteran of active duty of nearly 15 years, and having served in both the Navy and Army, I empathize with your post, Chefmike....That said, what we're talking about here is the difference between "what is" and what should/could be. This is not a new process. They are also aware that the timeline impacts an individual's ability to fine-tune packages for upcoming boards, should it be necessary. In this case, the delay will certainly have a negative impact on the available response time available for applicants. At the very least, word should have been put out that, yes, a delay has occurred, and here is our guidance.

We are all (apparently) working towards the same ends: doing our part to add quality people to the next generation of Navy leadership. Simplly pointing towards the status quo is not effective leadership; it's just plain laziness and a lack of empathy.

zoeth

Over 9000
I just wish they were more professional about the whole thing - not a good example of effective leadership.
SWO has certainly changed their method over the past couple years. The new 'hollistic' concept outlined in the N3 - Operations notice #39 has definetly thrown some people a curve-ball. I mean last board there was a 4.0 GPA/70 OAR candidate and a 3.7 GPA with a Masters in Neueoscience that got an "N" but "Y" from Intel. I spoke with a local SWO Lieutenant at the ROTC program at my school and he mentioned how they are hot and heavy on Prior service Navy guys, AD Navy and that the motivational statement with 'SWO-Centric' statements is heavily considered.
*edit: He also mentioned how those two collisions shook the SWO community quite a bit

Vincent

They are also aware that the timeline impacts an individual's ability to fine-tune packages for upcoming boards, should it be necessary

Unfortunately, it's more than that. I am missing my first two looks (choosing orders for my next duty station) because I have a pending OCS package results from this board and the June 12th IWC board. My Detailers will not allow me to select or be selected for orders. My family is awaiting the results so we can decide financial decisions as well for investments and job opportunities.

Also unfortunately - they have 45 days to post it so we are coming close on the last week.

Vincent

I spoke with a local SWO Lieutenant at the ROTC program at my school and he mentioned how they are hot and heavy on Prior service Navy guys, AD Navy and that the motivational statement with 'SWO-Centric' statements is heavily considered.

iu

jlwade

SWO has certainly changed their method over the past couple years. The new 'hollistic' concept outlined in the N3 - Operations notice #39 has definetly thrown some people a curve-ball. I mean last board there was a 4.0 GPA/70 OAR candidate and a 3.7 GPA with a Masters in Neueoscience that got an "N" but "Y" from Intel. I spoke with a local SWO Lieutenant at the ROTC program at my school and he mentioned how they are hot and heavy on Prior service Navy guys, AD Navy and that the motivational statement with 'SWO-Centric' statements is heavily considered.
*edit: He also mentioned how those two collisions shook the SWO community quite a bit

Thanks for your thoughts Zoeth and Vincent. This is a nice example of: "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Let applicants know what is currently "hot" so they can tailor their packages accordingly, or pivot to what is more suitable.

zoeth

Over 9000
Thanks for your thoughts Zoeth and Vincent. This is the whole: "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Let applicants know what is currently "hot" so they can tailor their packages accordingly, or pivot to what is more suitable.

I feel like each community puts priority on different parts of your package. Like Intel wants that sky-high GPA, Crypto wants that STEM degree, NFO/SNA want that high ASTB score. Who the hell really knows what SWO wants right now. :eek:

jlwade

Unfortunately, it's more than that. I am missing my first two looks (choosing orders for my next duty station) because I have a pending OCS package results from this board and the June 12th IWC board. My Detailers will not allow me to select or be selected for orders. My family is awaiting the results so we can decide financial decisions as well for investments and job opportunities.

Also unfortunately - they have 45 days to post it so we are coming close on the last week.

Yes, Vincent, more challenges due to non-communication. The Navy wants good leaders, but (at times - like this apparently) isn't modeling said leadership. This delay has negativley impacted your career choice. I guess we could always say: "Well, it's a good time for you to show some resilience, applicant." Not cool.

jlwade

I feel like each community puts priority on different parts of your package. Like Intel wants that sky-high GPA, Crypto wants that STEM degree, NFO/SNA want that high ASTB score. Who the hell really knows what SWO wants right now. :eek:

It makes sense that each community benefits from some shared, and some different skill sets and/or applicant qualities. The point is to CLEARLY communicate these in a way that does not allow for artificial packages, while also empowering applicants to choose an appropriate career path. And like you said, SWO right now ....not sure.

jlwade

BTW: My wonderful step-daughter is also awaiting word from SWO - which is what brought me to this board. I sincerely wish the very best for all of you. May you move forward never relinquishing your values. Questioning leadership doesn't automatically translate into betrayal or courage. It depends on what motivated the question.

Become great leaders - we need more of you out there!

Playawon

Maybe the SWO board was notified of his pro rec Y from Intel. And decided to just look at other packages. I feel like Rufio has mentioned this phenomenon before.

zoeth

Over 9000
Maybe the SWO board was notified of his pro rec Y from Intel. And decided to just look at other packages. I feel like Rufio has mentioned this phenomenon before.
Wow that would be interesting. In the case of the girl with the 3.7 masters in nueroscience I know she put SWO #1, but maybe for the other guy this was the case. I wonder if that could account for some of the odd cases over the past ~year