• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

13NOV23 SWO Board

taint

My recruiter said not to expect results too quickly. He said "definitely before Christmas." Hopefully that means ASAP after the 6th... but he said for what ever reason the last board of the year is delayed on results.
From what I've seen on this site usually within 2 weeks, with a few that wait up to a month so, yeah should be before Christmas hopefully before Thanksgiving!!!

Welcome to the group!!!

Pepper The Cat

My recruiter said not to expect results too quickly. He said "definitely before Christmas." Hopefully that means ASAP after the 6th... but he said for what ever reason the last board of the year is delayed on results.
Makes sense.. Holidays coming up so maybe that is why they shifted the board to Nov 6th. Hopeful for a result before thanksgiving!

Pepper The Cat

My board was about the same time last year, and I heard back December 4th and left for OCS January 6th.
I am thinking of putting leave in from 13 Dec till 4th of Jan.. do you know by chance if upon acceptance that they ask you when you would like to go to OCS. Or should I keep my recruiter informed?

Thanks for the estimate!

taint

Idk how the leave thing would work, I'm guessing if you picked asap they'll give you the soonest date they can first. I think your recruiter will be the one telling you your options.

But yeah it's a little unclear until selection lol

TheManInTheBox99

I am thinking of putting leave in from 13 Dec till 4th of Jan.. do you know by chance if upon acceptance that they ask you when you would like to go to OCS. Or should I keep my recruiter informed?

Thanks for the estimate!
Idk how the leave thing would work, I'm guessing if you picked asap they'll give you the soonest date they can first. I think your recruiter will be the one telling you your options.

But yeah it's a little unclear until selection lol
BLUF: Your OCS date is negotiable with your OR, take time to get your life and body in order if you need to.

To address both of these, your application should have had a section for your earliest available date for OCS. They won’t always honor that, but you can use that as leverage when working with your OR. I put on my application that my earliest available date was March of 2023 (I wanted to go during the summer so I wouldn’t have to PT outside in the winter) but got orders for the 08JAN23 class. I know of people who were able to move their OCS dates both sooner and later, but they were fleet applicants.

All of that being said, going in the winter wasn’t as horrible as I thought since some days it was so cold that outdoor PT and procedures were secured, plus working out in the cold made it easier for me to work out since the weather was already cooling my body vs sweating a butt ton in the summer. I know people from warmer climates struggled to PT in the cold because their lungs weren’t used to taking in such cold air, but I was pretty used to it from running outside back home in the winter. I also look back and think, “fuck if I went in March I’d only just now be graduating or starting BDOC/OOD P1” so I’m glad I started earlier and got OCS out of the way. I was just mentally and physically ready to go when I got my orders for January, so moving up from my anticipated ship date of March wasn’t a terribly big deal. But if you get a ship date that isn’t ideal for you for whatever reason, by all means work with your OR to negotiate a date that works for you.

exNavyOffRec

BLUF: Your OCS date is negotiable with your OR, take time to get your life and body in order if you need to.

To address both of these, your application should have had a section for your earliest available date for OCS. They won’t always honor that, but you can use that as leverage when working with your OR. I put on my application that my earliest available date was March of 2023 (I wanted to go during the summer so I wouldn’t have to PT outside in the winter) but got orders for the 08JAN23 class. I know of people who were able to move their OCS dates both sooner and later, but they were fleet applicants.

All of that being said, going in the winter wasn’t as horrible as I thought since some days it was so cold that outdoor PT and procedures were secured, plus working out in the cold made it easier for me to work out since the weather was already cooling my body vs sweating a butt ton in the summer. I know people from warmer climates struggled to PT in the cold because their lungs weren’t used to taking in such cold air, but I was pretty used to it from running outside back home in the winter. I also look back and think, “fuck if I went in March I’d only just now be graduating or starting BDOC/OOD P1” so I’m glad I started earlier and got OCS out of the way. I was just mentally and physically ready to go when I got my orders for January, so moving up from my anticipated ship date of March wasn’t a terribly big deal. But if you get a ship date that isn’t ideal for you for whatever reason, by all means work with your OR to negotiate a date that works for you.
When a person is submitting an application they need to make sure the "date available" you put is when you can go, that is for you to fill out NOT your recruiter, too many people don't pay attention to that date and the need to.

The OR does not set OCS dates it is NRC and NRC does not have to negotiate as it is at the discretion of the Director, and depending who is in that role will depend how flexible they will or will not be. The current one has been flexible, the others have not to the point where when a person requested a different date the response was "go on the date assigned or decline".

Pepper The Cat

When a person is submitting an application they need to make sure the "date available" you put is when you can go, that is for you to fill out NOT your recruiter, too many people don't pay attention to that date and the need to.

The OR does not set OCS dates it is NRC and NRC does not have to negotiate as it is at the discretion of the Director, and depending who is in that role will depend how flexible they will or will not be. The current one has been flexible, the others have not to the point where when a person requested a different date the response was "go on the date assigned or decline".
Thank you for this response. I stated “immediately” but I was curious if it is negotiable based on moving my family, checking out of my unit, and taking leave for the holiday break.