• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

james23

I did not have the same problem; however, I am also sending my package by the end of Spring. Also, I am taking my ASTB very shortly too. The SAT math and reading is really closely similar to the ASTB portion so you can technically be studying two things at once.

gmorrow2

My OR hasn't said anything about taking the SATs either and I don't see that anywhere on the CNRC website about BDCP: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt3/generalofficer.htm#1

If you are already in a 4 year college then I don't see why SATs would matter, I mean obviously you're able to do the work....

On another note as James said the SAT and ASTB are almost identical as far as what you need to study so if it is being required then you at least can do them both at the same time (after studying).

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
My OR made my submit my SAT scores, but they weren't even official. I just gave him a printed page off of the college board website with my old scores on there. I wouldn't be surprised if they let it slide that you never took the SAT, it really doesn't matter much now anyway. On the other hand, the SAT is a lot different than the ASTB. The SATs verbal and writing sections are a little harder with long reading comprehension sections, and the ASTB doesn't even have a writing component. The math is close, but I'd say the SAT required a bit more knowledge than the ASTB math.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
Yes. The Navy becomes your full-time, year-round employer as soon as you sign on the dotted line (although checks don't start to show up for a while after that).

TCL001

I just sent in my application for Pilot and was wondering what the other pilots got on their ASTB. That's the only thing i think is worrying me. Also, does the board look at the OAR if you are applying for Pilot, or at the AQR and PFAR? Thanks a lot.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
I heard for SNA they look mostly at AQR and PFAR, then for NFO they weigh AQR and FOFAR more heavily. I'm sure all three count though. If you do well on one, I'm guessing you'll do well on the other as most people score pretty closely. But check out the thread link above to see for yourself.

nickman730

The competition is steep and I am crossing my fingers. If not selected I plan to apply again in the summer.

18/M BDCP - pilot - March board
8/8/9 63
SAT 1390
3.49 Bio-medical engineering Soph. U. of Memphis
LOR - Judge/friend
DIV IA athletic director/friend
Superintendent of Education/neighbor and coach
Current Navy Instructor Pilot/0-5

I am fit and a working musician. The interview went well and I am involved around campus in various clubs.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
The competition is steep and I am crossing my fingers. If not selected I plan to apply again in the summer.

18/M BDCP - pilot - March board
8/8/9 63
SAT 1390
3.49 Bio-medical engineering Soph. U. of Memphis
LOR - Judge/friend
DIV IA athletic director/friend
Superintendent of Education/neighbor and coach
Current Navy Instructor Pilot/0-5

I am fit and a working musician. The interview went well and I am involved around campus in various clubs.

Man, you have a pretty good chance I'd say. You're competitive to say the least. I got selected for pilot back in October with a 8/8/7 63 and a 3.0 in Aerospace Engineering. I think what really bumped me up was being an Eagle Scout and staying involved with sports and clubs at college. Plus a good motivational statement and one kick-ass LOR from a Navy 0-6 who's known me my whole life. You're only 18 though. Are you a sophomore right now? Most kids are 19 turning 20 by this time in their sophomore year.

nickman730

I know I'm young. I took a few courses in high school and hit it hard last summer and this fall. At the end of spring sem I will have 50 hrs and plan on a full load this summer also, then I'm gonna throttle back a bit. It appears timing is a big part of being selected, so that being said I am prepared for the worst but planning on the best. I have very little flight experience, but if selected I plan to get my PPL. When I went to Meridian and spent the day with student pilots and instructors I learned that it will help if I am comfortable flying and talking on the radio at the same time. Seems simple enough but through what I heard this may help in basic flight. They said not to get too much flying time because they will teach me the NAVY way and some bad habits are hard to unlearn. My OR thinks I am in the running but you never know, my age will be a minus. I'm just glad that I know what I want to do this early because I have time to make it happen on way or the other.

WEGL12

VT-28
I’m currently putting together my application for BDCP and hopefully will have it submitted by May or June. I have scheduled to take the ASTB on March 29. My recruiter told me that I may not be as competitive as most because I have only taken classes at a community college. I have a high GPA and feel that I will score decent on the ASTB. My recruiter actually suggested waiting until December 2010 to apply, when I have a full semester completed from a four year university. But after informing my recruiter of the classes I have taken (Calc I, II, III, Calculus Physics I, Deferential Equations, and chemistry) he believes I have a slim chance. He is going to submit my application after I complete the current semester and take the ASTB. My question, does only attending a community college really have a negative impact on the application? Thanks for any help.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
From what i have hear, which doesn't mean jack, it does slightly. I think the theory behind it is that a university is more of a commitment than a CC and usually shows someone is not just taking a few easy classes at a CC and deciding they want some government money. If you go to a CC you know how some people will literally be taking CC classes their whole lives.

That being said, GPA, Major, ASTB. Those are what really matter and anything else is small details.

I went to a CC, I got accepted.

m26

Contributor
My first recruiter was helpful but not particularly motivated to get me in. Once I did well on the OAR he became much more interested in my cause. I've heard around the internets that ORs will be cagey until you take the ASTB and they know what they're dealing with. If you score well it is quite possible that your OR might be more willing to let you apply sooner than later.

WEGL12

VT-28
From what i have hear, which doesn't mean jack, it does slightly. I think the theory behind it is that a university is more of a commitment than a CC and usually shows someone is not just taking a few easy classes at a CC and deciding they want some government money. If you go to a CC you know how some people will literally be taking CC classes their whole lives.

That being said, GPA, Major, ASTB. Those are what really matter and anything else is small details.

I went to a CC, I got accepted.

Did you apply with only your community college transcript?

Well I have a high GPA (3.72) and my major is aerospace engineering. I agree that attending a community college is just a minor detail. The only reason I did not go straight to a 4 year school is because it is a lot cheaper to stay instate the first two years. Plus I am able to work 40 - 45 hours a week because the school I go to offers everything at night. I believe I will have a better idea if I am competitive once I take the ASTB.