• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

WEGL12

VT-28
My first recruiter was helpful but not particularly motivated to get me in. Once I did well on the OAR he became much more interested in my cause. I've heard around the internets that ORs will be cagey until you take the ASTB and they know what they're dealing with. If you score well it is quite possible that your OR might be more willing to let you apply sooner than later.

I agree that once I take the ASTB and if I do well on it, the recruiter will be more willing to help me. However, one thing my recruiter told me is that an ASTB score of 50 and 5s or 6s is all I need to be competitive. At first, I thought he just meant those were the minimums. When I asked what was competitive for SNA and NFO he just said score 5s or higher and you will be fine. I found this a little surprising because looking around this site most people have 60+ along with 7s, 8s and 9s. I am hoping that I score over 60 but I am starting to get a little nervous because so much rides on this one test.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I agree that once I take the ASTB and if I do well on it, the recruiter will be more willing to help me. However, one thing my recruiter told me is that an ASTB score of 50 and 5s or 6s is all I need to be competitive. At first, I thought he just meant those were the minimums. When I asked what was competitive for SNA and NFO he just said score 5s or higher and you will be fine. I found this a little surprising because looking around this site most people have 60+ along with 7s, 8s and 9s. I am hoping that I score over 60 but I am starting to get a little nervous because so much rides on this one test.

Your recruiter is being pretty accurate with the scores and what is pretty competitive. 50+ and 5's is plenty competitive but don't worry what others score. Just control what you are going to score and Good Luck!

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Did you apply with only your community college transcript?

Well I have a high GPA (3.72) and my major is aerospace engineering. I agree that attending a community college is just a minor detail. The only reason I did not go straight to a 4 year school is because it is a lot cheaper to stay instate the first two years. Plus I am able to work 40 - 45 hours a week because the school I go to offers everything at night. I believe I will have a better idea if I am competitive once I take the ASTB.

I was in the same situation and trust me they will look at it and see you are working and going to school. I applied just after my first semester so that COULD of made a difference. But even if you don't get accepted you can apply again after you get a semester under your belt and you lose nothing. If you have a 3.7 your not an idiot (most likely) so the test shouldn't be a problem if you do a bit of practice (freshen up on your skills).

WEGL12

VT-28
I was in the same situation and trust me they will look at it and see you are working and going to school. I applied just after my first semester so that COULD of made a difference. But even if you don't get accepted you can apply again after you get a semester under your belt and you lose nothing. If you have a 3.7 your not an idiot (most likely) so the test shouldn't be a problem if you do a bit of practice (freshen up on your skills).
That is pretty much my plan; I have nothing to lose when I apply this May. The worst case is I am a non-select and I wait until the end of my first semester and apply again. I have 2.5 years before I graduate so I have plenty of time. I am determined to get selected and I will continue to apply until I am selected.

jl08

pilot
That is pretty much my plan; I have nothing to lose when I apply this May. The worst case is I am a non-select and I wait until the end of my first semester and apply again. I have 2.5 years before I graduate so I have plenty of time. I am determined to get selected and I will continue to apply until I am selected.

I definitely agree with applying in May. While you may not have taken any classes at a four year university, the classes that you have taken are much more difficult than those taken by most people at their university. I was in a similar situation last year but I had to work some kinks out in my package and by the time it was ready I had already finished my first semester at A&M. The worst they can do is tell you no. Good luck!! Oh, and brace yourself because Aerospace Engineering doesn't get any easier :)

leigh321

Hey guys, this is my first post so bear with me. I've started the application process for the supply community and although I respect and am cordial with my recruiter I still don't feel fully informed. Thus I have a couple of random questions:

What letters of recommendation are needed for the package? My recruiter made it seem like simply 3 professors, but are you supposed to get letters from current/prior officers? My father is highly ranked and has been working for the VA for a long time, so I could easily get a lot of high ranking officials.

I am currently a sophomore with a non-tech degree (finance), do I have to wait until the end of my sophomore year to submit my package? Or simply wait until then to swear in?

Also I'm kind of confused about how the process works; so I send in my package (astb scores, basic info, physical test, medical test, motivational statement, LORs) and then wait to get pro rec'ed?

I then meet with a board who determines whether or not I am selected? Sorry, but if somebody could please clear things up for me it would be greatly appreciated.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Hey guys, this is my first post so bear with me. I've started the application process for the supply community and although I respect and am cordial with my recruiter I still don't feel fully informed. Thus I have a couple of random questions:

What letters of recommendation are needed for the package? My recruiter made it seem like simply 3 professors, but are you supposed to get letters from current/prior officers? My father is highly ranked and has been working for the VA for a long time, so I could easily get a lot of high ranking officials.

I am currently a sophomore with a non-tech degree (finance), do I have to wait until the end of my sophomore year to submit my package? Or simply wait until then to swear in?

Also I'm kind of confused about how the process works; so I send in my package (astb scores, basic info, physical test, medical test, motivational statement, LORs) and then wait to get pro rec'ed?

I then meet with a board who determines whether or not I am selected? Sorry, but if somebody could please clear things up for me it would be greatly appreciated.

1. The letters from a current/past employer or character LOR's. You need at least 3 and for what is expected on them use the search function on this site to find that out as this has been asked many times already. You don't need any of them from current/prior officers. Would it help? Sure, if they know you well enough or wouldn't mind talking about you and feeling comfortable about writing one.

2. Go here and read this http://www.navy.com/benefits/education/earnmoney/ it says you can apply up to 3 years before you graduate. Being a non-tech is irrelevant in your case.

3. Yup, but the boards don't care about your physical test (PRT) or medical test (MEPS). Your recruiter may have you do them for your package goes out and that is fine. However, those don't play a factor until FS (final select). Use the search function for a better understanding of FS.

4. You don't physically sit infront of a board. The package mentioned in 3 is sent away and a board will review it. They give the "PRO REC" which means professionally recommended. So they are the one that will determine if you are selected of not (Pro Rec or Not Pro Rec).

Good Luck!

m26

Contributor
2. Go here and read this http://www.navy.com/benefits/education/earnmoney/ it says you can apply up to 3 years before you graduate. Being a non-tech is irrelevant in your case.

This is incorrect.

Unless something has changed in the past few months, you can enroll for up to 36 months with a technical degree, and up to 24 months with a nontechnical degree. What that link says, I believe, is that with BDCP it is possible to get paid for up to 36 months. It just neglects to mention that for the full 36 you'll need a technical degree.

leigh321

Another random question- Do you receive a military id as soon as you swear in, or not until before/after OCS? Also, are BDCP participants eligible to use the Space-A (free travel on government aircraft based on availability) program?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't get too excited about Space-A. I know they like to sell it as a "fly free anywhere" thing, but it's almost impossible to use unless you're a retiree with no fixed schedule and don't particularly care where you wind up.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
You can get your ID card after you swear in but you have to get registered in the DEERS system first. You will also qualify for all active duty benefits such as space-A but as Uncle Fester said above, dont get too excited.

leigh321

Really? Space-A is honestly that difficult to do? Even over the summer months when I have no plans and wouldn't be too picky about the destination?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Haven't really looked into it but I'd wager uncle fester knows what he is talking about. No harm in checking it out if you really want to. I never traveled much but im sure I will see plenty when im on deployment. I save my summers right now for beer, beaches, and babes. Then again you do live in GA

SantaC

Good afternoon, all. I had a question for anyone who may be able to help me out. I'm wanting to get into the BDCP, hopefully as SNFO, but I have horrible vision. My recruiter told me I could get PRK surgery, but then I'd have to wait a year before entering the program. I was confused about this, so I messaged a tech at NAMI. He told me that the wait period was 3 months for a waiver, and that he thought it would apply for BDCP as well. So now I'm completely confused and have no idea what to think. Any helpful advice?