• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Extra Curricular Activities for BDCP

Hey everyone. I'm about to take my ASTB and I'm gonna apply for BDCP for fall 2010. I've noticed some post suggesting that it would help to have some extra curricular activites. I was wondering if there is any that you guys can suggest. I'm currently attending college and have 15 hours of classes a week, a 40 hour a week work schedule, and my commute time for school and work is 11 hours and 12 minutes per week because some of my classes are broken up on different campuses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Topper

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The extra-curricular activities are to show a few things:

One is leadership among peers, so whatever you do; try to be in a leadership role.

Another is to show commitment to something. It's different than the folks who 'pad' their resume with lots of activities; the Navy is looking for commitment.

Finally, these activities will show that someone is well-rounded and able to operate in a social environment. Folks need to able to function as team mates at whatever command they end up at.

Sports is always a good activity, it shows physical development and competition.

Eagle Scout is considered a huge plus, but it takes a while to earn one, so that's probably out.

Try to have something more than ‘volunteered at old-folks home for two weekends’. Leading a group that does volunteering on a regular basis is great, but like I said, it needs to be consistent activity.

Coaching little league or youth soccer is usually looked on as a positive.

Technical activities (computer clubs for example) will show adaptability to technology.

Language training is always a plus.

Based on what you said, I would recommend joining some sports teams or something similar. Depending on where you are, there are probably ‘singles only’ sports leagues for flag football, basketball, softball, etc. I would look there since you don’t have much time to show much commitment.

If you’re working to pay for school, make sure you play that up. It shows that your committed towards education.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone. I'm about to take my ASTB and I'm gonna apply for BDCP for fall 2010. I've noticed some post suggesting that it would help to have some extra curricular activites. I was wondering if there is any that you guys can suggest. I'm currently attending college and have 15 hours of classes a week, a 40 hour a week work schedule, and my commute time for school and work is 11 hours and 12 minutes per week because some of my classes are broken up on different campuses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Topper

Ummm, I'd say you're busy enough. I got in with zero extra curricular activities. But I had a technical major and a great GPA. So if I were you...I'd concentrate on studying and getting good grades rather than anything else. If you're already pulling down a 3.8 or better - then go look for something to occupy your time.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ummm, I'd say you're busy enough. I got in with zero extra curricular activities. But I had a technical major and a great GPA. So if I were you...I'd concentrate on studying and getting good grades rather than anything else. If you're already pulling down a 3.8 or better - then go look for something to occupy your time.
Yeah, if you're working 40 hours a week to put yourself through school while taking a full load, selection folks will take note of that. Participate in the extra curriculars if there's something you're truly interested in. Don't just do it because you think it'll look good on your app. It's disingenuous and selection folks will smell it a mile away.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Thanks helolumpy, 60flyer, and Steve Wilkins for the great information. I really appreciate it. I hope to still find some activity to join in with to help. My GPA is a little lower than I'd like (2.86 cumulative). I had trouble with school and work my first couple of semesters but I hammered it down and took 5 classes this fall (2009) and got a 3.8 GPA with 4 A's and 1 B for the 5 classes. Will the board take that into account that even though my first couple of semesters left something to be desired, that I turned it around this semester taking more classes and still working full time? All your information is super duper helpful and I'm really looking forward to swearing in.

Thanks
Topper

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks helolumpy, 60flyer, and Steve Wilkins for the great information. I really appreciate it. I hope to still find some activity to join in with to help. My GPA is a little lower than I'd like (2.86 cumulative). I had trouble with school and work my first couple of semesters but I hammered it down and took 5 classes this fall (2009) and got a 3.8 GPA with 4 A's and 1 B for the 5 classes. Will the board take that into account that even though my first couple of semesters left something to be desired, that I turned it around this semester taking more classes and still working full time? All your information is super duper helpful and I'm really looking forward to swearing in.

Thanks
Topper

Just keep tracking. The board takes all of it into consideration. One positive is that you started poorly and are on the up. It could have been a totally different ball-game had you started with a ~3.8 and now you're on the downswing to a 2.8.

I finished college with a whopping 2.52 gpa (up from barely a 1.5). I have 8 F's on my transcript but finished strong with 6 semesters of straight-A's. I rocked the ASTB which may have been a saving grace as well. Like you, I had to work through college. I was also an athlete and did some things in the community on the side.

Now I'm in Primary flying the T-34C. Talk about all of this in your motivational statement and highlight how you overcame your adversity. Hopefully, the Navy will eat it up. You might want to get a letter of recommendation (like I did) from your academic counselor..who will be able to write a glowing recommendation on your progress, b/c surely he or she has witnessed your academic turnaround.

Good luck and keep up the good work. Make a string of good semesters so the board views it as a positive trend instead of just one good flash in the pan semester.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All your information is super duper helpful and I'm really looking forward to swearing in.

Thanks
Topper
Never ever ever ever ever use the words, "super duper" in a sentence again or you will be banished from the internets.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
\
Good luck and keep up the good work. Make a string of good semesters so the board views it as a positive trend instead of just one good flash in the pan semester.

Thanks for the advice. I really plan on getting more involved with my work to keep those grades atleast as good as they are now. That's awesome on your turn around and congrats on being in Primary. I've only made 2 F's in college but alot of C's and the Spring of '09 I only had 3 classes (one of which was one of the F's). I'm making up for it with the 5 classes per semester and I'm sure my advisor would write me a glowing recommendation and I have alot of other people for letters of recommendation including my instructors from NJROTC (a Commander and a Cheif Petty Officer), but I only have one more semester and one summer class before I graduate with my Associates Degree and I'm counting on the BDCP to help me with my expenses for going to Middle Tennessee State University. I hope that two semesters of good grades will work for them.

Thanks
Topper

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks for the advice. I really plan on getting more involved with my work to keep those grades atleast as good as they are now. That's awesome on your turn around and congrats on being in Primary. I've only made 2 F's in college but alot of C's and the Spring of '09 I only had 3 classes (one of which was one of the F's). I'm making up for it with the 5 classes per semester and I'm sure my advisor would write me a glowing recommendation and I have alot of other people for letters of recommendation including my instructors from NJROTC (a Commander and a Cheif Petty Officer), but I only have one more semester and one summer class before I graduate with my Associates Degree and I'm counting on the BDCP to help me with my expenses for going to Middle Tennessee State University. I hope that two semesters of good grades will work for them.

Thanks
Topper

Nice..Doesn't MTSU have a sweet air traffic control program? If you could get into some of those courses as electives it will be good for getting familiar with airspace and aviation nomenclature. I think they might even offer a minor in ATC.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Awsome, they do have that program and I never thought about that. I'm gonna speak with my transfer advisor there and see if I can add a few of those courses as electives.

Thanks
Topper

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the advice. I really plan on getting more involved with my work to keep those grades atleast as good as they are now.

I'd go for better. Look at things this way....the whole reason you're in college is so you don't have to work at some crappy job (probably like the one you have now) for the rest of your life, right? So why in the WORLD would you allow yourself to get lower grades for that job? It's like throwing money away. Do whatever you have to so you can get the grades you need. Everything else money wise, BDCP wise, and career wise will work itself out if you concentrate on the real goal.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Very true. I try not to let work get in the way any more. I work as a tech support agent for HTC (a smart phone and PDA company), but this job is really nothing to me compared to my dream of being an Aviator. I've been studying aviation since I was a kid so if it comes to it I'll drop to part time at work before I let my grades get bad again. I'd hate to loose the job because economy out there now adays, but if I have to it's worth it. My OR even told me that they're getting over run with people who had lost there jobs in the downturn since last year and they suggested that I look into getting my PPL. Not sure if I'll be able to after trying to finance PRK though. The going rate here is $125 per hour and 60 hours required for a license.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Very true. I try not to let work get in the way any more. I work as a tech support agent for HTC (a smart phone and PDA company), but this job is really nothing to me compared to my dream of being an Aviator. I've been studying aviation since I was a kid so if it comes to it I'll drop to part time at work before I let my grades get bad again. I'd hate to loose the job because economy out there now adays, but if I have to it's worth it. My OR even told me that they're getting over run with people who had lost there jobs in the downturn since last year and they suggested that I look into getting my PPL. Not sure if I'll be able to after trying to finance PRK though. The going rate here is $125 per hour and 60 hours required for a license.

Ask your OR to pay for your flight lessons :)... Point is, don't go break yourself to get a PPL just to look good for a selection board. You can find info on this topic on here ad nauseam.

There are other, cheaper, more effective means like getting an interview from an officer in your community (ie. Navy pilot) that would go further than having a PPL. The PPL is great if you want to do it, but since time is a premium in your schedule...it takes a lot of commitment and time on the side to be able to complete the requirements for your license.

Once you get selected and you're making that sweet BDCP cash, then maybe you could think about getting some flight hours under your belt "just because".

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Point is, don't go break yourself to get a PPL just to look good for a selection board. You can find info on this topic on here ad nauseam.

Thank you for the great advice. I'm not sure if I understand about looking for a good selection board. Do I get to find out in advance about the selection board? Or will my OR suggest about trying a different board? Sorry if it seems like pretty dumb questions but this is something that my OR has never discussed with me. Also about interviewing with a Pilot. My instructor in NJROTC was a retired Commander and EA-6B pilot and his wife is a retired Captain from the Navy and she was also a pilot. I plan on using Commander as one of my LOR's.