• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
And I am pretty sure the answer for the 50's bomber question was the B-29. The only one I saw that made sense...

JhwK08

Diamond, I took form 5 as well. I remember coming across the 1950s bomber question and being like "?????", so I can't help you there. But I can verify the previous poster with the AIM-9 designation for the sidewinder, and the A-10 for ground attacks.

The warthog is such a cool plane.....gotta love that 50 cal gatlin gun.....

It's very reassuring that this is how flight school aptitude is measured.

hddriven411

I just took the ASTB test today and am not so pleased with my score (5/5/5/50). I took Form 4 and from some of the posts I have read so far on this site it seems to give others a little bit of grief too. Is there really a big difference in the tests? Also, I studied a couple different gouges and took several practice tests; what else is there for me to do?! I have a month to study up...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

ryan1234

The warthog is such a cool plane.....gotta love that 50 cal gatlin gun.....

A minor point of clarification - it's a 30mm not a .50cal

@hddriven411:

One of my friends suggested "Mental Math for Pilot" - as a way of speeding up their ability to take typical time/distance/units/blah/blah problems and quickly solve/spot errors, etc

That or ...if you're still going to school... ask if you can sit in on a College Algebra class... sounds funny... but hearing all of that stuff again could really sharpen the skills to quickly solve problems.

Also the Gleim Private Pilot Knowledge Test Guide has some stuff very similar (if not exactly the same) on the test (from what I remember) ... because they are drawn from the FAA test bank.

That and if you're into podcasts.... I can't remember if it helped on the AFOQT or ASTB... anyways... about the reading stuff....

look up LSAT Logic for everyday life - they have some good examples of logical arguments and how to get useful, logical information out of a lot of information.

rgunders

Hey guys I am taking the ASTB coming up in the next few weeks and I am just about ready to rock and roll! However, I am working out of the ARCO books and in the mechanical comprehension section there seems to be a pretty fair share of electronic component questions (current, circuit types, symbols, etc...) Any suggestions on gouge for this material?? It is not covered in any of the study guides I have and it seems to be just assumed knowledge but it might as well be mandarin to me! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I'm having problems with this as well. I found one site (it was a bunch of powerpoint slides) that kind of explained it, but it never told you what the variables stood for. It had I's, R's, and V's (I figure V is voltage) in the formulas, and it also never explained the symbols for the diagrams. If I even knew what to call the diagrams, I might be able to google it, but there seems to be no starting point at all.

philipa

Hey guys I am taking the ASTB coming up in the next few weeks and I am just about ready to rock and roll! However, I am working out of the ARCO books and in the mechanical comprehension section there seems to be a pretty fair share of electronic component questions (current, circuit types, symbols, etc...) Any suggestions on gouge for this material?? It is not covered in any of the study guides I have and it seems to be just assumed knowledge but it might as well be mandarin to me! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am also studying for the ASTB, which I will take this coming Monday. For the electric circuit information, I used Youtube.com; there are a lot of videos on there with detailed explanations. If you have any other questions about it or you can't find the videos, just PM me.

philipa

I took the ASTB (OAR only) on the 17th of June and made a 52 (which I am satisfied with because of the short length of time I had to study for it.) For the most part, it was easier than a lot of the practice tests I took. The reading was a little more in depth and sometimes a little harder than the practice questions I looked at and the mechanical is what I believe brought my score down because some of the stuff I had never seen before. I finished all tests with some time left. Math was easier than I expected. I suggest studying all the stuff on this web site (and http://www.navygouge.com/) plus the Barons study guide. Everything that was on the test can be found using these resources.

One thing I was confused about before the test was what exactly was on the reading section (because some study materials I looked at had synonyms/antonyms/sentence correction) and if anyone else feels the same way, its only paragraph comprehension.

The test is still fresh on my mind so if anyone has any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them.

I'm not able to PM because I'm a new user, but if you would email me at parcarol@mail.usf.edu, I would really appreciate talking to you about the test. Your feedback would be really helpful.