• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ryan1234

got a 7/8/8 ~60 ... and was professionally rejected (non-select) from the Navy.... 'course that may have something to do with the whole dead-hooker-in-the-trunk incident.

In all honestly, the ASTB was pretty easy compared to the AFOQT...

I didn't study for the ASTB... but....if I was going to.....
For the aviation side of things - my personal recommendation is to get the Gleim Private Pilot Knowledge Test Guide.... that has all of the questions and answers in a quick study fashion. Most every pilot uses it to memorize answers for the knowledge test... it's really easy to use.

If you have an elective left in college, and you know you're going to take the ASTB in a semester, perhaps try to take a college algebra type of course... it'll get your brain back to mental math/quick math type stuff.

Stalin

How much harder is it to get above 73 OAR? I don't know if I should retest or not because I might be able to get 7 points more potentially, or is 73 good enough?

ryan1234

How much harder is it to get above 73 OAR? I don't know if I should retest or not because I might be able to get 7 points more potentially, or is 73 good enough?

Dude..... 73 is pretty baller, I'd stick with that - it's in the top (very small percent)

Are you just trying to rub it in? :icon_wink

ryan1234

No I'm just freaking out lol. I really want this pilot slot. Worst part is waiting ughhh

While you're waiting - I humbly suggest applying to various other military pilot type opportunities... i.e. Air National Guard, AFR, etc. It takes the edge off the wait - (and like in my case) if you do get rejected from the Navy, you may get picked up else where.

Don't freak out...

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot

dude...you're good on the astb side of things. now make sure that the rest of your package is up to par. but a 73, wow, thats sick

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

I got straight 9s and still didn't pull a 73. You're good.

Stalin

While you're waiting - I humbly suggest applying to various other military pilot type opportunities... i.e. Air National Guard, AFR, etc. It takes the edge off the wait - (and like in my case) if you do get rejected from the Navy, you may get picked up else where.

Don't freak out...
Did you end up somewhere else? I looked into the AFR and ANG but I don't have my degree yet

E

ebolamonkey

I bet you took form 3 for the 73. You could try like me and take form 4 in hopes of making a higher score and then get owned by a lower score. The magic 8 ball scoring won't favor you the second time around.

Lucy

If I remember the graph correctly breaking 70 puts you in the top 1-2% of takers, and considering the average score is lower than a 50, and NA averages are at 60, I would think taking it again would be a poor idea. Work on other areas to improve if non-select. LOR's and extracurrics matter alot too. And a 73 with a poor motovation statement would not look good, and might even counter the score, so make sure your statement is just as good as your score.

Good Luck,
Lucy

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
No I'm just freaking out lol. I really want this pilot slot. Worst part is waiting ughhh

Just look around on this site...You can probably count on one hand the amount of applicants who broke 70 with 9's across the board on the ASTB. And there's gotta be hundreds of ASTB scores posted! Now work on improving your "whole person concept" and there will be no need to "freak out."

Mustang64p

pilot
Agreed, also take into consideration that while scores on this site are generally pretty good. Airwarriors counts as such a small percentage of overall applicants.

E

ebolamonkey

NVM, retake it and get a 80!

Stalin

What I didn't realize was the OAR was a bell curve. I didn't know I was top 1-2%, I thought that since I got a 73 on a scale of 20-80, it was like getting a 53 on a scale of 0-60, and 53/60=88%. So no, lol, I won't retake the test, sorry to look like a dick (I wasn't boasting :()

ryan1234

Did you end up somewhere else?

Yes, with the ANG

It's a little more of a personal process - you can apply and interview at some units without having your degree yet (but you'd have to be pretty close to finishing.. last year or semester) - unit depending.

The upsides are that you know what airframe you'll fly before you go to UPT. You won't move around. When they interview you, you'll also be interviewing them - if you don't like them, you don't have to join the unit. You apply to units with a location/airframe you like. The interview process is a lot about personality.

The downsides are BRAC - which means that there's a possibility your F-16 unit might lose their birds and gain predators or heavies... or your unit might just close completely. The positions are generally traditional guard - meaning part time - some units have a large amount of full time spots though.