• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Stalin

Yeah, you hit the reason why I'm not doing ANG, yet. I can't afford to NOT contract with ROTC while I wait to get a slot I might not be able to get (that's why I'm trying BDCP--ROTC is still a fall back.) BRAC is scary, though getting into BDCP doesn't guarantee me fixed wing. And I need a better guarantee at this stage of my life than "maybe you can get full time." I'd rather go in part time later with an airline pilot job :D

Edit: I guess I could have looked under your name, "Guard F-16 Selectee" kinda tells its own story lol

Hello everyone.

I just recently took the ASTB and got 5/6/6 50. I'm pretty bummed about them, but my brother told me they were above average scores, if only by a little bit. The reason I'm bummed about them is because my GPA for my undergrad wasn't really too spectacular (2.8 out of 4.0), so I figure I need to basically wow the committee board with my test scores for them to even consider me. I'm only really interested in being an aviator for the military, so I am applying for Pilot and NFO. Based on some of the scores people have submitted here on the forums, I'm thinking I probably will not get selected.

I'm putting my application package together now, but I plan on taking the test again in August before the September board meets. I was just wondering what anyone else thinks about it -- do you think I have a shot of getting in with my current scores?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Stalin

leviathanms,

as a fellow competitor, good luck. I am putting my application together now. I would retake the ASTB if you think you can study and get a higher score. If you gave it your all and you don't think more studying will help, I would just settle with your score now.

GreenLantern330

Hello everyone.

I just recently took the ASTB and got 5/6/6 50. I'm pretty bummed about them, but my brother told me they were above average scores, if only by a little bit. The reason I'm bummed about them is because my GPA for my undergrad wasn't really too spectacular (2.8 out of 4.0), so I figure I need to basically wow the committee board with my test scores for them to even consider me. I'm only really interested in being an aviator for the military, so I am applying for Pilot and NFO. Based on some of the scores people have submitted here on the forums, I'm thinking I probably will not get selected.

I'm putting my application package together now, but I plan on taking the test again in August before the September board meets. I was just wondering what anyone else thinks about it -- do you think I have a shot of getting in with my current scores?

I would have to agree with Stalin. To add to that, don't forget they use "the whole person concept." So make sure you have a lot of community service, local or school sports/group/organization involvement, and make sure you have a killer motivational statement and great LORs. I've seen people with less stellar stats get selected so don't lose hope. And if you don't get selected, keep applying.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hello everyone.

I got in with those scores. :D Was also BDCP.

jtmedli

pilot
Hello everyone.

Even if you're not thrilled with the scores, keep putting the package together. Your ASTB score is only one part out of about 100 and it can be updated relatively easily. You can retake the test prior to submitting the 'finished' package and update the score as you go. Study hard and crush that thing.

I agree, jtmedli. I was planning to continue putting my package together. The problem I have with submitting my package for the September board is, and this is something my recruiter told me, is that I submit a package, and for whatever reason they don't select me, then they put a big red stamp on the front page that says "non-select". So from then on, for future boards, the first thing they will see is that big red stamp and they will naturally be looking for the reasons why I wasn't selected. I don't really know how accurate that is, but it makes sense.

So if it weren't for that aspect, I would submit the package and just keep studying to take the test again in the instance that if I didn't get selected, I would still be ready to go to take the test again.

Also, @ jtmedli, I got your message, and thanks. For some reason, I couldn't reply to it because I haven't posted 10 times on the forum, so here I am.

So that's pretty much what I'm trying to decide: whether to submit my package and risk getting non-selected and having a big red flag on my file, or wait to retake the test and hopefully score higher, then resubmit. Any thoughts?

ryan1234

That big red stamp doesn't say non-select...it says 'determination' ...

Do what you want...but don't think because you didn't get selected the first go, you're going to have a black mark from here on. Many, many people on this board got picked up on their next attempts.

jjysh31

I am taking the ASTB tomorrow morning. The links and posts on this site helped a lot. Hopefully it all comes together tomorrow

DiamondEM3

Can't this info....

I took the ASTB, Form 5, in May. I'm taking it again here pretty soon. I have been studying like crazy and digging through the internet and can't seem to find some info, in all the gouge and study guides, about questions that were on the first test I took:

ADF, NOR Heading ship degree course
Nuclear Bomber in the 1950s
Side Winder Missile Designation
Best airplane for ground attack...

So any info or help would be great...Seems like the gouge and study guides on here are starting to get away from whats on the tests these days, basic info is the same, but they're throwing in some new stuff.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
I took the ASTB, Form 5, in May. I'm taking it again here pretty soon. I have been studying like crazy and digging through the internet and can't seem to find some info, in all the gouge and study guides, about questions that were on the first test I took:

ADF, NOR Heading ship degree course
Nuclear Bomber in the 1950s
Side Winder Missile Designation
Best airplane for ground attack...

So any info or help would be great...Seems like the gouge and study guides on here are starting to get away from whats on the tests these days, basic info is the same, but they're throwing in some new stuff.

I just took the test this week and saw two of the four questions you are asking about. The Sidewinder missle designation is the AIM-9 which was an option in the m/c. The best airplane for ground attacks out of the four choices was the A-10 Warthog. Hope that helps!

Diamond, I took form 5 as well. I remember coming across the 1950s bomber question and being like "?????", so I can't help you there. But I can verify the previous poster with the AIM-9 designation for the sidewinder, and the A-10 for ground attacks.

The warthog is such a cool plane.....gotta love that 50 cal gatlin gun.....