• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

I know I shouldn't have to ask this, but when do I do the pft thing? I didn't realize I had to do anything physically in the application process. Its not a big deal, I just have to start running. Also what is the motivational statement thing? When I read about that stuff before I though it was for BDCP guys, not everyone who applies. I guess I better start paying more attention. Thanks guys, your info is appreciated.

Physical fitness Test, and yes you need to be in great shape, especially if you're going to be a pilot. You'll need to achieve at least a good low on the PFT (http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard/malestandard.html) but you'll be expected to do much better at OCS so make sure you're fitness stats are rock solid. The motivational statement is part of the initial application. You'll need to talk to your officer recruiter (OR) about that. In general, you should use the SEARCH function to avoid getting killed on this site. Good luck.

nugget61

pilot
You're OR will give you a ton of paperwork for your application, and within that you will find a spot for an essay for you to state why you want a commission. Nothing long, just like 250 words or so. There's a thread around here to help people out with em.
You'll have to do the PRT whenever your OR says to - some do it before the app is sent in, some after a pro rec. Just be ready for it asap.

Also, my major was finance and I graduated 3 weeks ago.

So was mine. I got pro-rec'd no problem. Sure, a technical degree such as aerospace engineering is preferable to a degree in finance or basket weaving, but in the end it's more about:

For the professional recommendation (pro rec)
- ASTB
- GPA (ie. how well did you weave baskets or calculate the WACC)
- recommendation letters
- your motivational statement (do you just want to be like those buttslappers in Top Gun or do you really want to be a naval officer?)

For the Final selection
- are you in good shape (good low)
- security clearance (ie. have you been arrested?)
- are you healthy (MEPS)

Feel free to PM me, I just completed this whole process and I'm awaiting my FS letter. Don't sweat the finance degree, it's always a great backup in this economy anyway. You shouldn't have any problem getting a great 6 figure salary on Wall Street:icon_smil

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Ditto to these guys ^

I was a finance major, 3.3 gpa 7/7/8 56, and was picked up for pilot. And FWIW, I never did a PRT until I actually got to OCS. Some of us got by without it for some reason.

I'd say you're sitting pretty good.

dsevo

So was mine. I got pro-rec'd no problem. Sure, a technical degree such as aerospace engineering is preferable to a degree in finance or basket weaving, but in the end it's more about:

For the professional recommendation (pro rec)
- ASTB
- GPA (ie. how well did you weave baskets or calculate the WACC)
- recommendation letters
- your motivational statement (do you just want to be like those buttslappers in Top Gun or do you really want to be a naval officer?)

For the Final selection
- are you in good shape (good low)
- security clearance (ie. have you been arrested?)
- are you healthy (MEPS)

Feel free to PM me, I just completed this whole process and I'm awaiting my FS letter. Don't sweat the finance degree, it's always a great backup in this economy anyway. You shouldn't have any problem getting a great 6 figure salary on Wall Street:icon_smil

Thanks for your help, its good to know that if I have questions I can ask someone who knows the way it works. As for the comparison of finance and basket weaving, there's no way in hell I could ever learn how to weave a basket, lol. And a six figure income won't buy me the toys I want to play with, so here I am.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Also don't forget some big ones that were not mentioned. Extra curriculars are huge as well. The Navy isn't looking for just good test takers. The whole point of having a college degree is seeing if you can finish something that you start and how well you manage your time.

Someone with a 4.0 with no extracurriculars will be passed over by someone with a 3.2 who is involved in a number of clubs, sports, and volunteer work. As it should be, because I would assume being an officer you don't have just one job or area of focus. You have to manage your flying, your ground job, bills, family life and anything else.

Your work history is important too if you are lacking in an area. Were you dependable? Did you bounce around from job to job? It looks more impressive that you held a job or two while keeping up with your studies.

Good scores by the way. Good luck.

dsevo

I have worked at the same full time job since I started college 5 years ago, and I also ran my own business for 2007 while working full time and taking 15 units, so I should be able to prove that I'm pretty efficient with my time.

As for the LOR's, do they frown upon a family memeber writing one? My dad is a retired commander and S3 pilot.

Thanks.

Also don't forget some big ones that were not mentioned. Extra curriculars are huge as well. The Navy isn't looking for just good test takers. The whole point of having a college degree is seeing if you can finish something that you start and how well you manage your time.

Someone with a 4.0 with no extracurriculars will be passed over by someone with a 3.2 who is involved in a number of clubs, sports, and volunteer work. As it should be, because I would assume being an officer you don't have just one job or area of focus. You have to manage your flying, your ground job, bills, family life and anything else.

Your work history is important too if you are lacking in an area. Were you dependable? Did you bounce around from job to job? It looks more impressive that you held a job or two while keeping up with your studies.

Good scores by the way. Good luck.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
As for the LOR's, do they frown upon a family memeber writing one? My dad is a retired commander and S3 pilot.

Thanks.

Nice work history. As far as the LOR, I'm sure it can always help..it may not weigh as heavily as someone who isn't in the family. But include it anyway, especially since he is a retired CDR.

Any sports or anything? Owning your own business shows ambition and possibly leadership if you had employees under you. My dad is an entrepreneur..and it takes guts, brains and a little luck to go out on your own and to succeed on top of it.

Good luck.

dsevo

Nice work history. As far as the LOR, I'm sure it can always help..it may not weigh as heavily as someone who isn't in the family. But include it anyway, especially since he is a retired CDR.

Any sports or anything? Owning your own business shows ambition and possibly leadership if you had employees under you. My dad is an entrepreneur..and it takes guts, brains and a little luck to go out on your own and to succeed on top of it.

Good luck.

No sports because I couldn't find any sanctioned college sports that involved fast cars, lol.

DHudock

ASTB Scoring

I've searched this forum for my question and have not been able to find the answer.

I'm taking a ton of practice ASTB's from the Barron's, Arco, and Peterson's test prep books and I want to know what my OAR would be after I finish the Math (30 questions), Reading (27 questions), and Mech. (30 questions) sections.

I know there is no points taken OFF for wrong anwers, so for my correct answers, is it just plus 1 per questions? So a 20 correct (math) + 24 correct (reading) + 27 correct (mech) = a total of 71???

I don't think that's correct. Someone please enlighten...

BullGator

Just do your best, and keep practicing while timed. That's all you can do.

I don't think anyone on here knows exactly how it is scored. There was a chart on here that was roughly how it was scored, but that was an old chart for the ASTB versions 1 and 2 (before 2004).

nugget61

pilot
That site has great info, so read it (after you take the test, study before).
Short answer: You can't grade it like you did - the test is normalized, so your score depends on how everyone else does, so you can't really score a book test with any accuracy. Just do your best and you should be fine.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Does it change anything if you know how they grade it? Your goal should be to do the best you can on each section... I really suggest you postpone for a week to make sure you are ready for the math section. This should also help calm your nerves, ASTB scores for a SWO slot is not nearly as important as those of Pilot, Intel, or other applicants. Make sure you have a good all around package, go get some interviews with O-4 and above SWOs. What are your GPA and PRT scores? Those are important...