• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to submit my package pretty quick for a reserve intel slot. I started applying and there is a board in March. I have looked through the various threads but still have not narrowed if the Arco is the best study guide or the Barons is the best. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Some say ARCO, some say BARONS. Pick one and study the heck out of it and you will be rewarded. Practice timing yourself on the test. You will make your money from STUDYING and SPEED. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BullGator

I have to submit my package pretty quick for a reserve intel slot. I started applying and there is a board in March. I have looked through the various threads but still have not narrowed if the Arco is the best study guide or the Barons is the best. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
I studied both Barron's and Arco. The Arco books are online for free, and I got the Barron's for about $18.

The Barron's book uses both study material and practice problems before the actual practice exams. There are 2 versions of each type of military exam (ASTB, AFOQT, AFAST) which is very nice. I really enjoyed the study material for each section in this book (Arco's doesn't have this, see below).

The Arco books use only practice problems before the actual practice exams, and offers only one version of each type of military exam. Some swear by the Arco's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book spatial apperception practice though, which may not be as inportant to you since you aren't going for pilot or NFO.

_____
I will say that I thought the Arco's Officer Candidate Tests book was awesome for the math and mechanical sections; the practice problems were great.
_____
Hope that helps, and if you need more info feel free to ask.

jdflyer09

Many people say this about the ASTB (or name some other big test). If this is the path you want to take your life down, make sure that you're hitting everything full speed from now on. Whether its the retake of the ASTB, a PFT, OCS, etc... Theres a long road ahead of you. Looking back on it the ASTB will probably be the easiest part of everything in the end (I'm not even close to the end but it only looks harder). If you feel your recruiter rushed you into taking the test, just let them know you need more time. Get serious about your preparation for this and you'll do fine. Put in the work you need. Good luck

I understand what you're saying and agree. I said I "rushed out the door" because I slipped up. I had it scheduled the week before and they could not log on to APEX to take it. I rescheduled to this Monday and completely forgot. Irresponsible, I know. But it happens. Once the phone rang, I was flying out the door, unprepared, and unable to really look over what I needed. This will not happen next time :icon_smil.
With that said, the advice is solid, and I appreciate it.

Joe

Srp7286

i took the astb about a 2 months ago and im planning to take it in about 2 weeks, form 3. For the life of me i still dont understand word problems.

Does anyone know of any good site of math problems?

and does anyone remember if the test concentrates more on theory than word problems

jdflyer09

From what I heard about applying for a pilot/aircontract-slot, which you can take with a grain of salt, the Marines are very lenient on ASTB scores' importance and focus more on the whole person concept (as the Navy does too); this means your extra curricular activities, clubs, and other forms of being active/leadership. Point being, I would double check on the LORs as they do take about 1+ months to get back, and they can be a important in measuring the whole-person. Though, I do believe that the next Marine OCS class starts in June (then Oct and Januarry) which gives you some time.

I would ask your OSO (or another) about the LORs and 1-point waivers.

When you study for the ASTB, you will have a leg up on your first attempt with knowledge and familiarization, but you still should study very hard (and some what differently from your first time). Also, I forgot to mention that you can get the ARCO books for free online (Arco's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, and Officer Candidates books). Good luck.

I contacted my OSO and asked him about it. I will report back with info on the process in case there are other future Marines out there looking to be prepared.
What I DO know is this: there is no need to rush into the ASTB. I leave for 3nd increment in July, and up until I commission, (maybe even TBS, anyone know?) I can still be considered for an air slot.

Thanks again guys.

BullGator

i took the astb about a 2 months ago and im planning to take it in about 2 weeks, form 3. For the life of me i still dont understand word problems.

Does anyone know of any good site of math problems?

and does anyone remember if the test concentrates more on theory than word problems
I just did/studied the problems in the books and marine gouge. I even did the AF and Army practice problems for "fun." The Arco's Officer Candidate Tests book was great for math and mechanical practice. You should be able to find some different word problems there.

Math or Mechanical word problems? Mechanical is more theory and math is more numbers and manipulating them (e.g. short cuts); both are definitely conceptual.

jdflyer09

Update:

OSO replied about LORs and assured me that once I am selected for PLC (which I am) I can change between Air/Ground/Law once I qualify for the program. Also, nothing new will be needed to be selected for air. I am assuming the LORs used for PLC selection will be used?

Looks like I am good to go once I pass that damn ASTB.

Night!

Srp7286

im good with the mechanical. I'm just wondering if I should even really stress over them, but i forget if the math section was more word problems than theory.

Yea the book questions your talking about aren't bad, but i remember taking the tests feeling like the word problems in the book werent even close to the kind of questions they asked in the book, I'm not looking for exact duplicate questions.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Update:

OSO replied about LORs and assured me that once I am selected for PLC (which I am) I can change between Air/Ground/Law once I qualify for the program. Also, nothing new will be needed to be selected for air. I am assuming the LORs used for PLC selection will be used?

Looks like I am good to go once I pass that damn ASTB.

Night!

you "can" change between contracts but it doesnt necessarily mean it will happen. At this stage in the game, as long as theres slots, and you basically qualify for air, you shoulod be qualified for ground and vice vera. But make sure you go into this picking everything you want. Theres plenty of opportunity to switch things over, but try to go into it as aligned as possible.

honda

Need material to study

Hi everyone I'm an E-5 in the Navy. I'm about to finish school in April 09. I'm thinking about become an officers in the Navy. Can someone out there give me some material to study for the test or someone that already taken the test and don't need the material anymore your help is appreciate.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Hi everyone I'm an E-5 in the Navy. I'm about to finish school in April 09. I'm thinking about become an officers in the Navy. Can someone out there give me some material to study for the test or someone that already taken the test and don't need the material anymore your help is appreciate.

414NBN98T2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This thread is chock-full of the resources you're looking for. Look a little in /\ that direction

Talk to your recruiter. He/she should be able to point you to a couple of study guides.

On second though... from an email:

Study guide is www.petersons.com/airforce/books.asp Go to right side of page and study book labeled Military Flight Officer’s Aptitude Test. Test you will be taking is Navy and Marine Corps Aviation Selection Test Battery in Section 6 of book.

I only seriously studied for about a week before I took it, and ended up doing alright (7/8/7), but I feel I could have done better.

Print out a copy of the exam and answer key, go through it several times, and concentrate on any area you find difficult. For me, it was the mechanical problems - pulleys etc. I believe there may be another study guide as well but you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in...

Good Luck!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I am curious about the ASTB test format. Are you able to select which version you take or do they just give you one randomly? Sounds like version 4 is mostly aviation, which is great for me.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I am curious about the ASTB test format. Are you able to select which version you take or do they just give you one randomly? Sounds like version 4 is mostly aviation, which is great for me.

You don't pick your test. There are three forms (3,4,5) all three are formatted the same..none are more heavily emphasized in any particular area (math, aviation, etc). There are always rumors which one is "easiest" but IMO they are all the same. I took it twice and didn't really tell a difference.