• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

It's hard to say which score is good or bad. With the new system it can go either way. But just to put into perspective I scored Trip 6s with OAR of 54. And I just caught ear that I was selected for PLC Juniors this Summer.
BUT... I am an Aerospace Major, graduate in May of 2016 with several hundred flight hours and it will say "Professional Pilot" on my degree. I have heard mixed things from both my OSO and those running it down south at Florida. You can put your hours in your "activities" section of your application. And I have heard that it both can help in being selected, and training as you well already know the stuff at the beginning of your Flight Training. And that may or may not set you apart from competition.
But I would say that your scores, based off what I have seen, are "above average". But keep in mind, they look at so much more than your ASTB scores.

I'm still a candidate so remember that this information is biased as to what I have heard from those above me.

Amory

Hey guys, I'm brand new around here. I took my ASTB about 2 weeks ago and, much to my surprise, managed to get a 76/9/9/9. I'm currently a junior in NROTC studying mechanical engineering, but I'm worried that since the Navy seems to consider raw GPA, I'll get hit for having a ~3.1. I attend a competitive and highly ranked university, which I feel explains why I'm not rocking a 4.0 or anything, but I'm afraid the Navy might not really care. I'm also a little worried about getting grabbed for Nuke, since apparently our program is obligated to send the Nuke gods at least one offering per year, and my class has literally 3 Navy Option midshipmen. Anyways thanks in advance for any advice, and I hope to hang around here some more in the future.

Last edited:
I just took the ASTB yesterday and received surprisingly low scores. I studied for a good few months and felt that the material I focused on was not necessarily what was covered on the test. I'm scheduling a re-take as soon as I can (90 days) but just wanted to know if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your study tips or study guides. My weakest sections are Mechanical Comp and Math. I appreciate any help you can provide!!
I've posted a thread of study material from my OSO in which I studied and got acceptable scores. Feel free to check it out: http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-tips-guidelines-20142701.41465/

sjmviera

Well I am having mixed feelings about my score. 48 6/7/7...i see where guys have posted that it is enough to get looked at for SNA. I see where some guys posted its not good at all. So I'm debating whether to wait and retest or to just go forwardd with my application and say screw it. Got a 2.8 cumulative GPA but have a 3.8 in Aviation Management. Also have a private pilots certificate and around 1600 of UAV pilot time (for what its worth)in the middle east where i was a contractor for Navair. Thats really where I am banking on experience and LOR's. Hopefully that can make up for the par scoring...

Cvinson

Good Morning All,

I would like to thank everyone who posted his or her scores and methods of studying. I took the new ASTB (took old version last year) yesterday and felt discouraged because that was one tough test. My version had a lot of exponent problems (negative exponents, exponent fractions, etc.). To study for the UAV, practice approaching from different degrees and ask yourself where is North, South, East, and West before you take ASTB. Just stay calm and don't get flustered at the joystick and throttle section. Best of luck!

I am going for the Pilot program for OCS. My scores are:
OAR- 46 (Not thrilled about)
AQR- 6
PFAR- 7
FOFAR- 6

Also, I have a 3.0 in my Master's Degree for Aeronautical Science.

sjmviera

I am a very confident gamer, as well as a flight simulator nut. However that Stick and throttle section drove me to insanity. MAKE SURE YOU CALIBRATE IT CORRECTLY!!!! I did not... so its movements were jacked

jlyon18

Hey guys,

So I took the ASTB today and received the following:

OAR: 52
AQR: 7
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 7

From what I've seen on here, my OAR isn't very good, but my other scores seem to be pretty competitive. My GPA is 3.5, I've been enrolled in Naval Science courses for over a year and have completed 4 (Intro to Navy Sci, Sea Power and Maritime Affairs, and Naval Weapons System Engineering) and received A's in all of those courses. My dad is a retired O-6 pilot and I have LORs from two O-3's that taught my classes, and an O-8.

I can retake the exam in three months, and I really feel like I can do a lot better on the OAR. My recruiter said that she recommends that I use those scores and the LT who teaches my class and administers the test said that my scores are great, but I'm still a little torn.

Any advice?

Last edited:

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
Hey guys,

From what I've seen on here, my OAR isn't very good, but my other scores seem to be pretty competitive. My GPA is 3.5, I've been enrolled in Naval Science courses for over a year and have completed 4 (Intro to Navy Sci, Sea Power and Maritime Affairs, and Naval Weapons System Engineering) and received A's in all of those courses. My dad is a retired O-6 pilot and I have LORs from two O-3's that taught my classes, and an O-8.

I can retake the exam in three months, and I really feel like I can do a lot better on the OAR. My recruiter said that she recommends that I use those scores and the LT who teaches my class and administers the test said that my scores are great, but I'm still a little torn.

Any advice?

The scores you have look pretty good, to be honest. What designator(s) are you hoping to pursue? I can tell you what most people on this website will probably say though, and that's to go ahead and apply with the scores you have. Worst that can happen is they say no, in which case you can always try to boost those scores and try again. Also, make sure to find an appropriate thread to make this kind of post; there are plenty of places already on this forum for discussing scores, competitiveness, etc. ;)

Unsavorysauce

Just finished testing. 67/9/9/8
Studied for about one weekend but I would say I have a very good background in Math and Physics due to me graduating in May 2014 with an electrical engineering degree (3.1) from Georgia Tech. Math: know your averages and every about them, know your time to do stuff problems(if 3 people can paint a house in 12 hours.....), and do not rush. I actually ran out of time on the Math which I was not expecting and I know I missed a few. Mechanical: mostly theoretical type questions from what I remember. My main sources: Military Flight Aptitude Tests for Dummies and the ASTB-E Study Guide by Accepted Inc. and this website. I felt like I did awful on the performance based part of the tests also.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Any advice?

Two bits of advice.

1. You need not make a new thread, when there is already one in existence.

2. We know nothing about you other than your dad was a pilot and you've taken NROTC classes. Are you a College Programmer, a Midshipman, or a civilian looking to go Navy or Marine Corps?

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys,

Any advice?

Advice, don't retake, your scores are fine.

T.Elbert1

Hey all, I am looking for some strong cram advice. I'll try to cover everything so you all can get a full comprehension of me and where I am.

Firstly, I am a college graduate of a film degree (Bach. with a 3.13 GPA); which I understand isn't the ideal situation. However, I have dreamed of being a pilot for the navy since I was a child. I was born into a Air Force family, however we lived at the shared base out of Charleston for some time, in which I learned I wanted to fly and be in the Navy. I feel like I want to serve our country and I have an obligation for civil service of some sort. In which I wish to do my civil service in something I am passionate about and in the environment I want to be in. To that end I contacted a recruiter last week in an attempt to start the process. Since then I have been informed that I needed to be ready sooner than later. I have a current Pilot O5 supporting me, as well as having a Representative of the House giving me a letter of recommendation. I have taken leadership development classes in the past, and out of college worked as a Team Leader in a sales consultant firm (which is more like a glorified way of saying I taught other people how to be successful at door to door sales after being successful in door to door sales myself).

So, the reason I am posting. I have taken the time to browse through these forums as much as possible and pick up on the study guides on the forums where I can; as well as order the two books suggested from Accepted Inc. (Both of which will be here Thursday). This is a dream, and I am passionate and focused on achieving it. I basically only need to know if there are any new advice or suggestions that have not been posted recently. Please understand that I don't wish to be insulting by asking a more generalized question, I only thought I had more time than two weeks to study so I was taking my process a bit slower.

Lastly, if there is any suggestions for help on getting decent PFAR and FOFAR scores please let me know. I seem to have problems finding hints or suggestions to this end. The only thing I really got was isolating a headset in one ear and having a radio on around you and trying to just focus on that ear.

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions and tips. If there are any questions please feel free to ask and I will answer as soon as I possibly can. I tend to leave the web page up while I study. (Also I have taken the next week and a half off of work to study. So throw everything you got at me)

exNavyOffRec

Hey all, I am looking for some strong cram advice. I'll try to cover everything so you all can get a full comprehension of me and where I am.

Firstly, I am a college graduate of a film degree (Bach. with a 3.13 GPA); which I understand isn't the ideal situation. However, I have dreamed of being a pilot for the navy since I was a child. I was born into a Air Force family, however we lived at the shared base out of Charleston for some time, in which I learned I wanted to fly and be in the Navy. I feel like I want to serve our country and I have an obligation for civil service of some sort. In which I wish to do my civil service in something I am passionate about and in the environment I want to be in. To that end I contacted a recruiter last week in an attempt to start the process. Since then I have been informed that I needed to be ready sooner than later. I have a current Pilot O5 supporting me, as well as having a Representative of the House giving me a letter of recommendation. I have taken leadership development classes in the past, and out of college worked as a Team Leader in a sales consultant firm (which is more like a glorified way of saying I taught other people how to be successful at door to door sales after being successful in door to door sales myself).

So, the reason I am posting. I have taken the time to browse through these forums as much as possible and pick up on the study guides on the forums where I can; as well as order the two books suggested from Accepted Inc. (Both of which will be here Thursday). This is a dream, and I am passionate and focused on achieving it. I basically only need to know if there are any new advice or suggestions that have not been posted recently. Please understand that I don't wish to be insulting by asking a more generalized question, I only thought I had more time than two weeks to study so I was taking my process a bit slower.

Lastly, if there is any suggestions for help on getting decent PFAR and FOFAR scores please let me know. I seem to have problems finding hints or suggestions to this end. The only thing I really got was isolating a headset in one ear and having a radio on around you and trying to just focus on that ear.

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions and tips. If there are any questions please feel free to ask and I will answer as soon as I possibly can. I tend to leave the web page up while I study. (Also I have taken the next week and a half off of work to study. So throw everything you got at me)

If your profile is correct you are past the max age limit for aviation, you could still apply for SWO and Supply, and a few others, but SWO and Supply would give you a better chance.

T.Elbert1

If your profile is correct you are past the max age limit for aviation, you could still apply for SWO and Supply, and a few others, but SWO and Supply would give you a better chance.
You are correct about that NavyOffRec and I am only 2 months off from that mark so I have been told that I will have a waiver to accord to that issue.