• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
That's hard to say because it's not really as clear what a perfect/amazing/great/good/ok/eh/bad/really bad score is on the OAR as it is on the SAT. The OAR is out of 80, but it seems like very few people get above 70, which is why people see scores in the 60s as pretty good, and 50s as good, too. But no one really knows, because the Navy doesn't publish the average OAR score of candidates selected by each community. On the other hand, all colleges compile their average admitted SAT score range and publish them in the US News report.

What I'm trying to say is that I got an SAT score (and to a slightly lesser extent, LSAT score) that is objectively almost perfect. It's clear that a 63 on the OAR isn't almost perfect, but what I gather from this site is that I shouldn't worry at all about my OAR score because it's as high as I need it to be for anything I'd apply to. So the answer to your question is either yes, mine were correlated (because they were both high enough that they can't be seen as negative by anyone) or they weren't correlated (because other tests were almost perfect but OAR was not).

Hell, maybe the difference is just that it's been a long time since I took a math class.

Understood, thanks for the advice! I'll keep the OAR scores in mind as I start studying and taking the practice tests.

mblaskovich

Hey everybody,
First post on this extremely helpful site. The amount of support and gouge across here is super helpful and now I'd like to help out anybody with questions regarding the new test format or anything else.
I took the ASTB-E two weeks ago in Daytona and am currently moving forward with that, I scored a 59/7/7/6 and am about to graduate with a degree in Aerospace Engineering (3.44). May not be as competitive ASTB-wise lacking those 8s and 9s but I'm applying for SNA and know what i'm capable of, also from what I've learned a good attitude, outstanding PRT, and solid LORs are sure beneficial. Reply or message me and I'll be sure to help or answer any questions about the ASBT-E.
Cheers

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Hey everybody,
First post on this extremely helpful site. The amount of support and gouge across here is super helpful and now I'd like to help out anybody with questions regarding the new test format or anything else.
I took the ASTB-E two weeks ago in Daytona and am currently moving forward with that, I scored a 59/7/7/6 and am about to graduate with a degree in Aerospace Engineering (3.44). May not be as competitive ASTB-wise lacking those 8s and 9s but I'm applying for SNA and know what i'm capable of, also from what I've learned a good attitude, outstanding PRT, and solid LORs are sure beneficial. Reply or message me and I'll be sure to help or answer any questions about the ASBT-E.
Cheers
You won't do a PRT until OCS.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Hey everybody,
Cheers
An aero-e from Daytona? You must be a fellow Riddle alum. Were you there for that tornado a few days ago? I only know because Rave started blowing up my phone about it.
And between your scores and your GPA, you should be plenty competitive.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took the ASTB-E two weeks ago in Daytona and am currently moving forward with that, I scored a 59/7/7/6 and am about to graduate with a degree in Aerospace Engineering (3.44).
May not be as competitive ASTB-wise lacking those 8s and 9s...
Your numbers are very competitive, your BAE GPA carries a lot of weight, more than making up for your 'perceived' fault of a lack of 8s/9s.:)
...also from what I've learned a good attitude, outstanding PRT, and solid LORs are sure beneficial.
Amen, the positive 'tude is a must... then patience, and humility are a plus. Keep in mind "bad things happen fast, good things not so much"!;)
BzB

mblaskovich

BusyBee604: I appreciate it, thanks!

Mr Spenz: You're right the official PRT is at OCS, I still think you can gauge yourself by doing the run, pushups and curls timed on your own or with someone to maintain that level!

Tycho_Brohe: Clever username hah! I'm actually at Florida Tech in Melbourne, but we had our similar warning system going off too, which route are you trying to go?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Clever username hah! I'm actually at Florida Tech in Melbourne, but we had our similar warning system going off too, which route are you trying to go?
Ohhhh I see. I'm in Primary right now, not sure what I want to select yet, currently between F/A-18's and P-8's.

ljellis

Hey everybody. I took the ASTB and scored 67 9/9/9. I just wanted to thank this site and its members for helping me with endless advice and information. This really is a great community. Just a small note: I've noticed a lot of people saying that their joysticks were inverted. Mine was not. Pushing forward on the stick (i.e. towards the screen, arm extended) caused the crosshairs to move down on the monitor. Pulling back made them go upwards. It felt very intuitive, like flying an actual plane. Anyway I would be glad to answer any questions people have and lend whatever help I can.
Congrats on the trip 9's! Did you use any specific study guides out there to prepare for the OAR portion on this new version of the test?

EMTpilot

Congrats on the trip 9's! Did you use any specific study guides out there to prepare for the OAR portion on this new version of the test?

Thanks! For the OAR I found "Military Flight Aptitude Test for Dummies" to be helpful because of the many problems and decent explanations. Also the Accepted Inc.'s "ASTB-E" book worked very well. Be sure to get the 2nd edition of the Accepted book. Interestingly enough even though I did physics I spent all my time studying math. I'm not naturally very good at doing math problems quickly. It is just a matter of getting a lot of practice. I also found this website to be unbelievably helpful http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm

I received one matrix multiplication question. They are very easy to do so if you don't know I would suggest learning and not being scared off by the notation. Also logs. Nothing about the logs was inherently tricky, it was just a matter of knowing what a Log equation looks like and applying simple algebra to it.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mr. H. Hoya: Our Bulldog...:eek:
Grrrrrrrrrrr........   Go Fresno!.jpg

Is meaner than your Bulldog, lol...:p
qabl7hre3c4hgygnhsrkvfunn.gif
BzB, FSU '78

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I think we're going for a slightly different route than meanness... :p I envy the guys that get to walk him around campus, it seems that he makes a pretty good wingman :cool:

12094731274_b0590632be_o.jpg

bruin13

Long time lurker, but I wanted to thank you all for the great info which has helped guide me from decision making through the application process.
Took the ASTB today. Scored a 65 6/7/6.
I graduated from UCLA with a 3.5 Political Science and Communications Double major, and I'm a little nervous about the non-OAR portion of my score in regards to SNA competitiveness, but mostly excited about the opportunity and looking forward to many months of anxious waiting.

Blake839

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to first say thank you for all the amazing information. I just took the new ASTB a couple of days ago and this site helped a lot.

I was curious if y'all could tell me the chance I have of getting sna or snfo with my package or anything I can do to improve it. I'm a junior engineering major at Texas A&M University in the ROTC program. I scored a 54 7/7/7 on my ASTB and I have a 2.96 GPA, and hopefully it will be above a 3.0 after this semester. My PRT scores are around 280-285 and I'll have a few good LOR's.

With all the high scores on here it makes me a little nervous. I appreciate all of the advice!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to first say thank you for all the amazing information. I just took the new ASTB a couple of days ago and this site helped a lot.

I was curious if y'all could tell me the chance I have of getting sna or snfo with my package or anything I can do to improve it. I'm a junior engineering major at Texas A&M University in the ROTC program. I scored a 54 7/7/7 on my ASTB and I have a 2.96 GPA, and hopefully it will be above a 3.0 after this semester. My PRT scores are around 280-285 and I'll have a few good LOR's.

With all the high scores on here it makes me a little nervous. I appreciate all of the advice!
As a ROTC guy, I'd say you'll have no issues making the cut. Rememeber as a ROTC guy, they also weigh in your PNS ranking.