• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gentlemen,

Seeking a bit of advice, I took the APEX 4 version of the ASTB last week and scored 59/8/8/8
Nice,,, as long as you don't think you can go through any part of flight training with "ZERO" preparation!:eek:
Question is: Should I purchase one of the many cited study guides and retake the ASTB after 90 days in hopes of doing better or...
NO!:confused:
should I take my current scores to the board as soon as I have the rest of my package prepared?
YES!:D
Thanks in advance,
TJ
My pleasure:cool:
BzB

Notorious Nate

Just curious. I kind of had to go into this one blind since I took it just after the change. I'm a bit concerned since the norm around here seems to be 8-9.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just curious. I kind of had to go into this one blind since I took it just after the change. I'm a bit concerned since the norm around here seems to be 8-9.
Relative to the total applicants, there are few "8s & 9s", not the norm. You're too focused, and over-awed with them... relax, you're Notorious!;)
BzB

tvfalco

I have been reading that the joystick is inverted and its not very intuitive. Is it inverted with just up and down commands, or left and right commands too? I know I will get the hang quick, I just don't want to go into it blind.

Thanks

navy2014

I have been reading that the joystick is inverted and its not very intuitive. Is it inverted with just up and down commands, or left and right commands too? I know I will get the hang quick, I just don't want to go into it blind.

Thanks

If you get the hang quickly, then there's nothing to worry about. You get practice time before each section. I actually can't remember for sure, as weird as that sounds. I think it's only inverted up and down... ? Someone else will answer.

Don't worry about it at all. I had never even thought about aviation stuff when I took it.

Notorious Nate

It's only inverted up and down. I did not find it intuitive even though I even play all my video games inverted. I found myself pushing the wrong direction than I intended on more than one occasion.

EvanG

EDG
Hey guys,

So I've decided to pursue a different path for my future, but I put in TONS of time into making flashcards for the ASTB. I've used almost every study guide (including AtricksPay) and even taken pictures to accompany some of the questions. Although not all the flashcards are completely polished, I don't want what I've done to go to waste. I'm hoping these cards will help you, feel free to add and edit the cards as you please. If you can master these flashcards, you should be able to do great on the test (I didn't get around to posting flashcard examples of some of the math problems people say are on the new test--matrices, logarithms, etc.).

Here is the info to get started:

1. Go to StudyBlue.com
2. Click "Sign In" on the upper right
3. Enter the following

Email: EvanGerber7@Gmail.com
Password: airwarriors

4. Good luck on the test everyone

Enlisted_Dan

NFO OCS Applicant
Hey All,
I just got back from the test site and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with my scores. I scored a 51 5/5/5 and I'm applying for NFO, SWO, and Intel. I am currently on active duty (E-5) and I am attending school full-time. As of right now, I am holding down a 3.4 GPA (non-technical degree) and I am set to graduate in August. I have three outstanding letters of recommendation (two former COs and former CMC), I have expect to have an outstanding endorsement from my CO next week (O-4 Pilot), and my officer interviews all went very well (O-6 NFO, O-6 Pilot, O-6 IWO). I was planning on applying to board in May. My question is, given the strength of my package, would it be wise to retake the ASTB to see if I can get higher scores in the aviation portion? The test administrator said that I scored higher than most but, after seeing the "typical" scores here I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for all the help!

navy2014

Hey All,
I just got back from the test site and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with my scores. I scored a 51 5/5/5 and I'm applying for NFO, SWO, and Intel. I am currently on active duty (E-5) and I am attending school full-time. As of right now, I am holding down a 3.4 GPA (non-technical degree) and I am set to graduate in August. I have three outstanding letters of recommendation (two former COs and former CMC), I have expect to have an outstanding endorsement from my CO next week (O-4 Pilot), and my officer interviews all went very well (O-6 NFO, O-6 Pilot, O-6 IWO). I was planning on applying to board in May. My question is, given the strength of my package, would it be wise to retake the ASTB to see if I can get higher scores in the aviation portion? The test administrator said that I scored higher than most but, after seeing the "typical" scores here I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for all the help!

From what I've read here, your GPA and OAR is good for SWO, but I have no idea about 5s on the ASTB. The only reason I'm replying is to point out that you have to wait 90 days between your first and second taking of the ASTB now, so I'm not sure that you would get a chance to take it again before May boards (if those really exist).

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question is, given the strength of my package, would it be wise to retake the ASTB to see if I can get higher scores in the aviation portion? The test administrator said that I scored higher than most but, after seeing the "typical" scores here I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for all the help!
From what I've read here, your GPA and OAR is good for SWO, but I have no idea about 5s on the ASTB. The only reason I'm replying is to point out that you have to wait 90 days between your first and second taking of the ASTB now, so I'm not sure that you would get a chance to take it again before May boards (if those really exist).
Agree with navy2014 5/5/5 isn't too competitive for SNFO. If you submit as is, and don't put SWO as first choice, they won't even look at it for SWO. Best shot is to retake ASAP, improve scores, and resubmit... hopefully in time for the next board.:)
BzB