• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Nick Roland

Hey guys thought I would give you guys an update and my thanks to everyone that post here. I just learned I was just selected for pilot, so I'm pretty stoked.
My ASTB scores weren't steller 7/7/7 56 but I had a badass packet. I have numerous relatives that were navy pilots and some good letters of recommendations from some current and former naval aviators. My GPA wasn't awesome either, 2.9 but I really sold my technical degree of construction management where I learned multiple subjects. If you guys have any questions message me, or post here and I'll check back, but the people on this board are all really awesome and will answer most of your questions. Also read through this message board, people (including me) post their thoughts directly after taking the test.

So thanks to everyone who posted here!

B619

As I am preparing for a retest I am seeking advice and guidance since I have been considering on adding NFO to my list. I'm just a bit confused on what else to study if I wanted to go in as a NFO. From what I understand, only the OAR portion is needed if you wanted to get a job as a SWO. Now that I want to add NFO to the list, what else do I need to study for and what gouges can I study for it? I'm assuming the FOFAR is for NFO and it consists of the last 3 tests which is Spatial Apperception, Aviation and Nautical, and the Aviation Supplemental?

Duke7498

Looking for some advice. I'm about to take the ASTB for the first time in September and I'm really only worried about math and the aviation/nautical terms. I've got plenty of study material for the math but, is the FAA guidebook the best place for the other info? Also, if so what parts of it are most important? Last, can anyone give a better description of what is on the mechanical comprehension portion? Is it like physics stuff or basic knowledge? Are there any formulas to know?

Just got back from taking my first ASTB. I was given form 3, paper version. Overall I felt it went alright but will have to wait to find out next week sometime. If anyone has any questions about what to expect feel free to message me while its fresh in my head. Ill give you some general ideas of types of problems that I saw.

exNavyOffRec

Just got back from taking my first ASTB. I was given form 3, paper version. Overall I felt it went alright but will have to wait to find out next week sometime. If anyone has any questions about what to expect feel free to message me while its fresh in my head. Ill give you some general ideas of types of problems that I saw.

paper version, really?? where did you take it at, they supposedly recalled those last year, in general the paper version takes 3-4 weeks to get results back.

Navy_Zodi55

Keep on Swimming
paper version, really?? where did you take it at, they supposedly recalled those last year, in general the paper version takes 3-4 weeks to get results back.

HOly hell. Paper version!? Is that even possible?!! LOL On the test, how were the math problems on the OAR section?? What type of word problems (ie: Boat A goes X mph Boat Y goes X mph , When will they meet?, acid solution problems?) & did you have any logarithms, exponents, square roots, and a lot of factoring, and scientific notation ? And is the flight portion of the exam similar to this study guide?

Attachments

• ASTB Personal Study Guide Revision 2.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
HOly hell. Paper version!? Is that even possible?!! LOL On the test, how were the math problems on the OAR section?? What type of word problems (ie: Boat A goes X mph Boat Y goes X mph , When will they meet?, acid solution problems?) & did you have any logarithms, exponents, square roots, and a lot of factoring, and scientific notation ? And is the flight portion of the exam similar to this study guide?

Wow you are nuking this test. Its no harder than the SAT or ACT. Just more crunch in the time factor.

Yeah I was just as surprised when I walked in and the SSgt pulled out the books. I asked him if they had the electronic and he said that it was acting up so we had to use the paper. I didnt mind it that much though. Took it out of Garden City.
Def expect some Distance=Rate x Time problems. I personally did not see any of those solution problems. But you should certainly know the basics in multiplying numbers with exponents, using square roots, and simple variable manipulation (a=2b, c=2a find b type of thing). Really nothing to crazy, that study guide you have there covers the majority of it. And that aviation covers a good amount just make sure you know the parts of the aircraft and what controls pitching, yawing, banking.
Someone on here posted make sure you know the marine gouge so I spent a lot time making sure I understood every problem on that. I think it helped a lot, as it basically covered every type of problem you may see.
http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/images/1/15/ASTBgouge.pdf

Nussarat Sangaram

I just finished taking the AOR portion of the ASTB, and I want to say thanks to everyone posting on the forum. The knowledge passed on here is invaluable for success.

Study guides used:
Marine gouge, ARCO MFA and Officer Candidate, GRE/GMAT test prep, and the gouges floating around on here.

The test:
I took the computer based test, not sure of the form number. The station and software was decent. There is a clock for time, a formula button that lists a few formulas, and its easy to navigate. It also runs you through a quick tutorial on how to use the software prior to starting the test.
The math portion was much easier then the books or the gouges. It was heavily weighted with basic algebra problems and minimal word problems. The word problem types are the same in the gouges. There was 1 geometry problem, straight forward and easy. I focused my attention on studying for the math portion so time was not an issue. My advice is study the gouges for word problems, and use a GRE book and marine gouge to get an understanding of the algebra questions.

The Reading portion was a slight pain for me. I left about 6 out there that I had to make an educated guess due to time constraints, and the small font size. All paragraphs, pretty straight forward like the test prep books.

The Mechanical portion went fast. The gouges on here really helped prepare for that. I had no lever questions, a few math based questions, and the rest was general mechanical questions. Study the books, and the gouges to be prepared for it.

All in all it went fast, scored a 54, could have easily been a few points higher. Good luck to everyone, and thanks for the great study guides and posts.

Did the electronic version allow you to skip questions and go back? How much scrap paper did they give you? Thanks in advance. I'm going to take the test for the first time end of August, so pretty nervous.

jander12

pilot
First Question: Yes. There are very detailed instructions on how to use the testing program (i.e. How to navigate to different questions, how to mark questions you are unsure about and may want to revisit later, etc). Mine had all the question numbers at the bottom of the screen. All I had to do was click on the number to go to that question. If I was unsure of a question/answer, I could mark it for later viewing and it would be highlighted at the bottom of the screen to stand out from the other numbers.

Second Question: I was given about five (5) sheets of printer paper and two (2) pencils, and was told I could ask for more of either at any time.

Also, regarding paper or electronic version (since I've seen a few questions/references regarding test formats): Before I began my test, the computer screen stated that I could request to take the paper version if I didn't feel comfortable with the electronic format. I am unsure if all locations offer this, but mine did (Richmond, VA).

exNavyOffRec

First Question: Yes. There are very detailed instructions on how to use the testing program (i.e. How to navigate to different questions, how to mark questions you are unsure about and may want to revisit later, etc). Mine had all the question numbers at the bottom of the screen. All I had to do was click on the number to go to that question. If I was unsure of a question/answer, I could mark it for later viewing and it would be highlighted at the bottom of the screen to stand out from the other numbers.

Second Question: I was given about five (5) sheets of printer paper and two (2) pencils, and was told I could ask for more of either at any time.

Also, regarding paper or electronic version (since I've seen a few questions/references regarding test formats): Before I began my test, the computer screen stated that I could request to take the paper version if I didn't feel comfortable with the electronic format. I am unsure if all locations offer this, but mine did (Richmond, VA).

about a year ago the new versions (6 and 7) were supposed to come out, a glitch that is still persisting has prevented them from being used, once they are used there will be no paper version available, all paper versions were supposed to be recalled and only specific special circumstances are paper version sent out, just because you want to take the paper version is no longer valid, it has to be related to computer access, that is why NRD San Diego was allowed to use paper for so long.

jander12

pilot
about a year ago the new versions (6 and 7) were supposed to come out, a glitch that is still persisting has prevented them from being used, once they are used there will be no paper version available, all paper versions were supposed to be recalled and only specific special circumstances are paper version sent out, just because you want to take the paper version is no longer valid, it has to be related to computer access, that is why NRD San Diego was allowed to use paper for so long.

So if I actually did ask to take the paper version (which I did not), they would have said no? Thanks for the correction to my gouge NavyOffRec.

(fyi, took ASTB/OAR recently, summer 2013).

exNavyOffRec

So if I actually did ask to take the paper version (which I did not), they would have said no? Thanks for the correction to my gouge NavyOffRec.

(fyi, took ASTB/OAR recently, summer 2013).

If they didn't have it they would have to have requested it from FL, but you took it for the USMC and the USMC has some significant coordination issues with the ASTB because of how their officer recruiting is set up for instance the USMC officer recruiters don't have designated "test computers" so when an applicant is taking the exam on the computer the USMC officer recruiter can do no work since the applicant is using the USMC OR's work computer.

Coulanon

1 per diem, 2 per diem, 3 per diem, floor!
I took the ASTB for the Navy in June and only had the paper version available as an option, had results back in one week.