• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Rommel

Hey all,

Been scanning this thread and lots of good information. I wrote the ASTB the other day, got 5/6/6 and a 51 - the goal is Intel. My recruiter said right now they were looking for a 48 to be competitive for Intel, so I narrowly beat it but he said it is still good. Not thrilled with my score, but alas it is what it is. I have a Masters degree in Public Admin (specialization Defense Management), BA History, GPA 3.4, 3.2 respectively. Taken an additional All-Source Intelligence training program (semester long) to learn the basics of Intel Analysis but also to show that this is what I want to do.

I think I am in good shape...now to get everything together.

reFLYluwasch

pilot
Aloha guys,

I am taking the ASTB tomorrow - order of desire: SNA/SNFO/SWO. I don't know how some people can wait months before taking the test. My nerves after 2 weeks of studying is too much to bear. Haha... Thanks for all the pointers. :)

NCHopeful

I was only able to study for 4 days, about 9-10 hours total before taking the test, and I got a decent score. The advice I would give before taking the test is to work on being able to do math very quickly. I didn't have a lot of study time, but because I regularly tutor students in Algebra I/Algebra II/Pre-calculus and do the problems in my head while they're holding the calculator and problem sheet, I was able to blaze through the math and the mechanics with enough time to double-check my work and get in some PT for extra endorphins and the right frame of mind. I would also advise getting an introductory college physics book and learning the mechanics sections and some very basic electrical stuff.

I think it's almost inevitable that as a civilian with no prior Navy experience, there are going to be some oddball questions regarding Three-Letter Acronyms (TLAs) that you'll just stare at incredulously. However, I would say that it'd be very helpful to memorize the gouge diagrams of planes and ships and to remember what all the parts/locations/components do. The light colors that ships and runways flash are also important.

reFLYluwasch

pilot
I scored a 48 5/6/5. I'm scheduling a retake. I probably had 60% of the math part done before I had to resort to blind guessing. It is one thing to know how to work word problems but now - doing them with very little time is another story. I have two questions if anyone can help me. Does anyone know how heavily the math portion is weighted in your PFAR and FOFAR? And... When retaking the ASTB, are you automatically given a new form or version? Thanks for the help again. The aviation and mechanical sides were easier than expected thanks to all the good information on here. The math parts on the gouges were extremely helpful. I just need to cut my problem solving time in half. Where there's a will...

NCHopeful

Your first question, straight from the Navy:

[URL]http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Pages/ASTBFrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx[/URL] said:
Which tests make the greatest contribution to each score I receive?
The formulas that are utilized to compute ASTB score components are proprietary information and will not be released by NMOTC. The formulas used to calculate each score are compensatory, meaning that poor performance on a given subtest may often be offset by high performance on another for each of the four scores. However, examinees are advised to perform as well as possible on all given subtests.
The following general guidance is offered to assist examinees in preparing for an ASTB test or retest.
  1. Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR) : This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
  2. Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Information and Spatial Apperception Tests.
  3. Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
  4. Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three subtests, Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

Yes, you should be given a new version. Your test form/version should have been recorded. When I took it electronically, I noticed the form I took staying in the database next to my name so I cannot take that form again. That's part of why there is a lifetime limit on ASTB retakes, I'm sure.

B619

I took the OAR portion (Form 4) a few days ago and got a 46. There were only two things that bothered me. First, the math section was tougher than I had expected since I only saw a few similarities from the gouges and Peterson's book that I have been studying. The time made it worse as it was already tough for me to figure out how to put the problems together. Second was the environment. I was the only one taking the ASTB and the door was closed with people barging in once in a while. A few moments later into the test, it sounded like a party outside because they were doing PT and urine testing that day so that messed up my concentration. Reading was ok but it was hard to concentrate in a noisy environment. The mechanical portion was tougher than the sample tests and practice problems that I have seen but surprisingly it was easier than I expected. I have no background in physics but Atrickpay's gouge helped the most in this section. From what I've been reading on AW, form 4 is the hardest out of the three tests out there?

A few things that I used to study:
- Peterson's books
- Atrickpay's gouge
- Marine gouge
- Marine mechanical gouge
- Barron's Officer Candidate School Tests (Lots of mistakes in this book)
- Practice tests (Arco, Barron's, Googled math and mechanical practice tests)
- Google and did some grave-digging through threads on AW

I'm a bit bummed because I've been studying for about three months and pulled a 46. I will need to retake as my GPA is a 2.73. If anyone can give me any more study guides or any tips and advice (especially on the math section) please do so.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd recommend taking ear plugs if the environment is noisy. Study some more and I'll bet you do better on the second round. Good luck.

Turb012

I just finished taking the AOR portion of the ASTB, and I want to say thanks to everyone posting on the forum. The knowledge passed on here is invaluable for success.

Study guides used:
Marine gouge, ARCO MFA and Officer Candidate, GRE/GMAT test prep, and the gouges floating around on here.

The test:
I took the computer based test, not sure of the form number. The station and software was decent. There is a clock for time, a formula button that lists a few formulas, and its easy to navigate. It also runs you through a quick tutorial on how to use the software prior to starting the test.
The math portion was much easier then the books or the gouges. It was heavily weighted with basic algebra problems and minimal word problems. The word problem types are the same in the gouges. There was 1 geometry problem, straight forward and easy. I focused my attention on studying for the math portion so time was not an issue. My advice is study the gouges for word problems, and use a GRE book and marine gouge to get an understanding of the algebra questions.

The Reading portion was a slight pain for me. I left about 6 out there that I had to make an educated guess due to time constraints, and the small font size. All paragraphs, pretty straight forward like the test prep books.

The Mechanical portion went fast. The gouges on here really helped prepare for that. I had no lever questions, a few math based questions, and the rest was general mechanical questions. Study the books, and the gouges to be prepared for it.

All in all it went fast, scored a 54, could have easily been a few points higher. Good luck to everyone, and thanks for the great study guides and posts.

AE2ENSIGN

Hey guys,

I have a problem, I took the OAR today for the first time and scored a 37. I want to go Intel Officer and I know that it is a very competitive field. Here is some of my background: I'm 28, I served 5 years on active duty and have four years in the Navy Reserve. I was recently Command Advanced to E-6 for being the Reserve sailor of the year at my helicopter squadron. The degree I am pursuing is Political Science and I currently have a 3.94, and am set to graduate december 2013. My officer recruiter told me that I have no chance of picking up Intel with my OAR of 37. I think I did bad on the mechanical comprehension portion. Can someone offer me advice on what to study. Here is what I studied prior to taking the OAR:

Marinegouge.com
ARCO- Master the Officer Candidate Test
ARCO- GRE/GMAT Math Review
Petersons MWR military ASTB timed tests.

Should I retake the exam and risk a worse score? or try with what I got? Also, anybody know the competitive score for Information Warfare Officers? I've wanted to be a Navy Officer for almost 8 years now and counting. Please help......

AE2ENSIGN

Hey guys,

I have a problem, I took the OAR today for the first time and scored a 37. I want to go Intel Officer and I know that it is a very competitive field. Here is some of my background: I'm 28, I served 5 years on active duty and have four years in the Navy Reserve. I was recently Command Advanced to E-6 for being the Reserve sailor of the year at my helicopter squadron. The degree I am pursuing is Political Science and I currently have a 3.94, and am set to graduate december 2013. My officer recruiter told me that I have no chance of picking up Intel with my OAR of 37. I think I did bad on the mechanical comprehension portion. Can someone offer me advice on what to study. Here is what I studied prior to taking the OAR:

Marinegouge.com
ARCO- Master the Officer Candidate Test
ARCO- GRE/GMAT Math Review
Petersons MWR military ASTB timed tests.

Should I retake the exam and risk a worse score? or try with what I got? Also, anybody know the competitive score for Information Warfare Officers? I've wanted to be a Navy Officer for almost 8 years now and counting. Please help......

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Your still in school, so take a physics course before you graduate then retest. I wouldn't submit with those scores tbh.

Turb012

I agree with Mr Spenz, take a basic physics course, and study using the other gouges on this site. You only listed the marine gouge, did you not use gouges on here created by other users?

Renegade One

None
My officer recruiter told me that I have no chance of picking up Intel with my OAR of 37

Good data point...
I think I did bad on the mechanical comprehension portion.
Good second data point...
Should I retake the exam and risk a worse score? or try with what I got?
What could be worse than "no chance"?

Listen to your OAR…find out where you were weak…study harder. Best advice I think I could offer...