• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 06NOV/04DEC IWC PROBOARD

Ian NP

Good morning all,

Starting this to see who's going up for the board in the title. I noticed that the dates got shifted about 2 weeks, likely that they didn't have enough good applications yet.

From what I've heard, the whole IWC really needs new guys. I personally am going up for 1810, but I've heard everyone else in the 1800's needs guys. Any word on how these boards have been going recently?

Thanks everyone. Best of luck.

exNavyOffRec

From what I've heard, the whole IWC really needs new guys. I personally am going up for 1810, but I've heard everyone else in the 1800's needs guys. Any word on how these boards have been going recently?
IWC is one of the most competitive OCS programs there is, that is why the average GPA of those selected is about 3.5 and a very large number of those selected also have STEM degrees.

NavyCWE

Hi, I am new here, I am seeking info for my son Andrew. He holds a BS degree in Computer Science and Engineering, class of 2023, GPA of 3.8. He's applying for Navy CWE (Cyber Warfare Engineer) and would attend ODS. His MEPS and application are done. His recruiter said the next Board is on 11/6/23. Questions: Is there an interview prior to the Board? Once he is selected by the Board, how long before he would attend ODS? Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Hi, I am new here, I am seeking info for my son Andrew. He holds a BS degree in Computer Science and Engineering, class of 2023, GPA of 3.8. He's applying for Navy CWE (Cyber Warfare Engineer) and would attend ODS. His MEPS and application are done. His recruiter said the next Board is on 11/6/23. Questions: Is there an interview prior to the Board? Once he is selected by the Board, how long before he would attend ODS? Thanks.
Some of these are questions the recruiter should be able to answer while some are just unknown. This link should give more insight on the process. https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Porta...CWE_May-2022.pdf?ver=BRoIFNqdC9a0gWPp1vkDmg==

spartan22

Good morning all,

Starting this to see who's going up for the board in the title. I noticed that the dates got shifted about 2 weeks, likely that they didn't have enough good applications yet.

Thanks everyone. Best of luck.
Hey. I was selected for 1810 Cryptologic Warfare from the last IWC board. I don't know what the percentages were for how many were selected vs. not selected. I got a 48 on the OAR and a 3.5 GPA with my major being a BS in Information Technology, so exNavyOffRec was pretty accurate there. I also had 3 letters of recommendation and I would say I wrote a good motivational statement. I was confident in my application but I wouldn't consider myself an outstanding applicant either. If you're above the minimum on OAR and GPA with LoR's and a good statement then I would say your chances of acceptance/selection are good.

I also know that the CW board in Feb 2023 (the one right before mine in Aug 2023) had many CW quotas that the board never filled for FY-23, and the Aug 2023 board is the first board for FY-24 quotas. I don't remember the exact numbers (maybe around 20-24 unfilled spots) but this definitely supports what you've heard that the IWC could use more guys like us.

Best of luck.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

These are good questions your son can kindly ask his recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

Hey. I was selected for 1810 Cryptologic Warfare from the last IWC board. I don't know what the percentages were for how many were selected vs. not selected. I got a 48 on the OAR and a 3.5 GPA with my major being a BS in Information Technology, so exNavyOffRec was pretty accurate there. I also had 3 letters of recommendation and I would say I wrote a good motivational statement. I was confident in my application but I wouldn't consider myself an outstanding applicant either. If you're above the minimum on OAR and GPA with LoR's and a good statement then I would say your chances of acceptance/selection are good.

I also know that the CW board in Feb 2023 (the one right before mine in Aug 2023) had many CW quotas that the board never filled for FY-23, and the Aug 2023 board is the first board for FY-24 quotas. I don't remember the exact numbers (maybe around 20-24 unfilled spots) but this definitely supports what you've heard that the IWC could use more guys like us.

Best of luck.
To prevent confusion here is some clarification.

The quotas the board gets are 140-150% of what is actually needed to go to OCS which allows them to let spots go unfilled if they don't see a person they want to select, yes the March board let spots go unfilled but of the 47 or so spots they were allocated they only needed 18 of those to ship prior to the first week of July to meet goal, the rest were pushed to FY24 like normal.

The official first board for FY24 quotas for IWC were the ones that started in June/July, but unofficially it is anything from March on depending on when a person puts for their ship date or if they are graduating in June.

A board being held during FY24 does not mean it is filling FY24 spots this is one of the things that confuses a lot of people.

In general about half of the spots available for an FY should be filled by Dec/Jan.

NavyCWE

Thanks for your reply. My son and I will carefully review the doc in the link you provided.
Good news! My son finished his online interview with a Navy Commander. Afterward, his recruiting officer texted that he did really well. The recruiter also advised him that there would be some technical questions about data structure and algorithms during his board review for the CWE position that he is applying for. Any idea how tough these technical questions are, what level they are, and what are his chances? My son just graduated with a BS in Computer Science and Engineering with minors in Math and Cyber Security, (GPA: 3.816, OAR: 66). Thanks.
Thanks for your reply. My son and I will carefully review the doc in the link you provided.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Good news! My son finished his online interview with a Navy Commander. Afterward, his recruiting officer texted that he did really well. The recruiter also advised him that there would be some technical questions about data structure and algorithms during his board review for the CWE position that he is applying for. Any idea how tough these technical questions are, what level they are, and what are his chances? My son just graduated with a BS in Computer Science and Engineering with minors in Math and Cyber Security, (GPA: 3.816, OAR: 66). Thanks.

Unpopular opinion / question perhaps: But is it you or your son who appears to be more interested in applying?

NavyCWE

It's a valid and fair question! As a father and a veteran of the US Navy, my interest is to share with my son my experience with the Navy and with life in general. He's interested and doing his best (on his own) to pass the many stages in the process of becoming an officer in the US Navy. I help him seek answers and find resources that he might not have thought of, including starting a membership with Airwarriors; all of which are with his consent. It's okay to learn things the hard way, as I believe I had more than my share. So I try to help my son when I can and with his consent.

FormerRecruitingGuru

It's a valid and fair question! As a father and a veteran of the US Navy, my interest is to share with my son my experience with the Navy and with life in general. He's interested and doing his best (on his own) to pass the many stages in the process of becoming an officer in the US Navy. I help him seek answers and find resources that he might not have thought of, including starting a membership with Airwarriors; all of which are with his consent. It's okay to learn things the hard way, as I believe I had more than my share. So I try to help my son when I can and with his consent.

I understand being supportive, but actually doing the homework for your son is another thing. You can always suggest "Hey I heard about this website called Airwarriors which has a ton of info" or steer to other resources, but not allowing your son to learn on his own almost makes it look like you are more interested in the commission than he is.

NavyCWE

Thank you for your honest advice. He is also doing a whole lot of research and preparation on his own and maybe overloaded with more stuff or redundant stuff from me. But since I am retired and have more free time and experience, I am doing more than usual for him. But it's just my way of raising/helping my children (I have heard of the "helicopter parent" label). Maybe because I am trying to fill both roles as a father and a mother. I have three children. The two older ones have families and children of their own, they live nearby and are doing great socially and financially, in my opinion. My youngest son (the subject of our conversation here) doesn't seem to mind the way I am helping him, most of the time, and it seems to be working out very well for him. I pray that my children will continue to do exceptionally well even long after I am gone.