• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I was fortunate enough to serve with a unit that had zero CCIR's for three years, from 2013-2016. We were the only platoon in the entire 101st Airborne that could claim that, and I have to say, it was a huge blessing.
That's pretty awesome, I bet that helped you guys out a ton! No one likes corporate punishment lol.

Maybe the Airborne guys are a little more squared away?

Marcus_Aurelius

Maybe the Airborne guys are a little more squared away?

101st Airborne is actually an Air Assault Division now. The 82nd is the standout Airborne Division. That being said, from my experience with different units, I would say that the historical units which specialize in a specific warfighter capability, such as 101st, 82nd or 75th Ranger, definitely have a different experience and organizational expectation.

Not to disparage any of the other units in the Army. They are professional Soldiers as well. It's just been my personal experience, which is most definitely anecdotal.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
101st Airborne is actually an Air Assault Division now. The 82nd is the standout Airborne Division. That being said, from my experience with different units, I would say that the historical units which specialize in a specific warfighter capability, such as 101st, 82nd or 75th Ranger, definitely have a different experience and organizational expectation.

Not to disparage any of the other units in the Army. They are professional Soldiers as well. It's just been my personal experience, which is most definitely anecdotal.
I heard some rumors that the Airborne guys were a dying breed... Then again we've also heard that about manned aircraft for the last 20 years... lol.

Marcus_Aurelius

I heard some rumors that the Airborne guys were a dying breed... Then again we've also heard that about manned aircraft for the last 20 years... lol.

The battlefield landscape has changed. We currently have been fighting a non-conventional, asymmetric style of warfare for the last 20 years. As such, massing a large number of troops, deep into enemy territory, when the enemy is a state-actor with near-peer capabilities, has not been a significant consideration. We also now have bases located around the world from which to mass units and begin a campaign. As such, airborne operations have not recently been necessary, with one exception that I can think of which was taking and securing an enemy-held airfield.

Should the battlefield landscape change back to conventional, symmetrical warfare against a near-peer, we may once again see the rise of Airborne as a viable and efficient warfighter capability.

Air Assault, on the other hand, has a wide variety of uses in both scenarios.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
The battlefield landscape has changed. We currently have been fighting a non-conventional, asymmetric style of warfare for the last 20 years. As such, massing a large number of troops, deep into enemy territory, when the enemy is a state-actor with near-peer capabilities, has not been a significant consideration. We also now have bases located around the world from which to mass units and begin a campaign. As such, airborne operations have not recently been necessary, with one exception that I can think of which was taking and securing an enemy-held airfield.

Should the battlefield landscape change back to conventional, symmetrical warfare against a near-peer, we may once again see the rise of Airborne as a viable and efficient warfighter capability.

Air Assault, on the other hand, has a wide variety of uses in both scenarios.

Very interesting. The last time I went to JRTC we were doing peer-to-peer engagements and getting hammered. Sounds like the Army and other military branches are gearing up for the that specific thing.
I was just joking around. I'm hoping we get our results in the next week or two. I might go crazy if I have to wait 13 weeks like the May board (I'm pretty sure it was them that had to wait forever but I can't remember for sure).
I think someone incorrectly stated August was 13 weeks, it was 6, I double checked. I was on the May board, we were 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Marcus_Aurelius

Very interesting. The last time I went to JRTC we were doing peer-to-peer engagements and getting hammered. Sounds like the Army and other military branches are gearing up for the that specific thing.

Yes, recently there has been a push to shift focus from nonconventional warfare back to conventional due to the international political and economic landscape.

The American military has chosen to implement a lesson the Jinetes of the Middle Ages learned the hard way; if you wait too long to adjust your training and warfighter capabilities, by the time your forces are adequately prepared to deal with the enemy, you have already suffered fatal losses at the hands of them.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
OK, I remember hearing 13 weeks being thrown around. Hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow or next week.
Yeppers, it was 6 weeks + 1 day on Tuesday September 15th, 2020. That was from an August 2, 2020 board.

Yeah could be tomorrow, or a safe bet by the end of next week is what I'm mentally prepping for. If it goes beyond that, we're in new and not so fun territory.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
One of the other threads said that OCS classes are going back to 50% capacity. I wonder how that'll affect us.
I think we're seeing the direct effect of that already, we're 9-11 months out from our OCS dates vs the pre-COVID 30-90 day average for shipping to OCS.