• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Finally got my sh*t together and submitted it for this board!

OAR: 47 (second attempt)
ASTB: 6/7/6
GPA: 3.3
Degree: BS Biology & BA Asian American Studies
Prior Service: Y (6 Years, USMC)
MEPS: LASIK approved
Private Pilot License - ASEL - 160 hours

crossing my fingers that the age waiver gets approved and I’ll be out in December!!

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Finally got my sh*t together and submitted it for this board!

OAR: 47 (second attempt)
ASTB: 6/7/6
GPA: 3.3
Degree: BS Biology & BA Asian American Studies
Prior Service: Y (6 Years, USMC)
MEPS: LASIK approved
Private Pilot License - ASEL - 160 hours

crossing my fingers that the age waiver gets approved and I’ll be out in December!!

Nice! I've added you to the excel sheet.

Are you applying for SNA and/or NFO?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
If you are only selected SNFO will you be happy?

Does the board select more than the quota for the possibility of individuals turning down the selection? Or does the quota account for that?

I've got three applications going through this cycle. Hypothetically if I was selected for all three, I can only pick one. I'm curious if that is accounted for at the boards somehow?

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Does the board select more than the quota for the possibility of individuals turning down the selection? Or does the quota account for that?

I've got three applications going through this cycle. Hypothetically if I was selected for all three, I can only pick one. I'm curious if that is accounted for at the boards somehow?
I also have three, SNA, NFO, and SWO. My recruiter said SNA and NFO are the same board anyways, so I'm curious how my SWO application will fare since it's after the others.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I also have three, SNA, NFO, and SWO. My recruiter said SNA and NFO are the same board anyways, so I'm curious how my SWO application will fare since it's after the others.

I know they'll look at each SNA and NFO packet separately if I understand it correctly it's like a two applications, they just go before the same board. Your kit is split/duplicated, and placed in an SNA stack and an NFO stack of applicants.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm expecting to tell my recruiter I'll take either SNA or NFO before the SWO results even come out lol.

exNavyOffRec

They do account for losses and everything you talked about, if they are short they ask people to ship earlier to make the goal.

Triumph_MAC

Im just curious how some of you all wrote your motivational statement. Did you all tailor your motivational statement to speak to all three designators or just the first pick?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Im just curious how some of you all wrote your motivational statement. Did you all tailor your motivational statement to speak to all three designators or just the first pick?

Mine was mostly about being qualified to have a career in the Navy, and as an officer. I mentioned my interest in being a pilot but that wasn't the primary focus. I didn't highlight anything regarding being a SWO specifically but I think most of that was covered in my quantification/qualification for a Navy career.

I think the motivational statements are all over the place based on some other posts I've seen. Wide variety of styles.

TheCoon

I mentioned Naval Aviator once, maybe. And if I did, it was at the very end. About 1/3 was focused on why I want to be a Naval Officer, I used another 1/3 to touch on my weak spot (GPA), and the remaining 1/3 I filled it with “fluff,” I guess.

Disclaimer: I’m only applying for SNA so not the same situation. However, I don’t think I would have written it much different had I applied for other designators.

Edit: Changed wording because it read like a 5 year old’s writing.

TheCoon

I think the motivational statements are all over the place based on some other posts I've seen. Wide variety of styles.

This.

After skimming through the motivational statements thread, I came to the conclusion there’s about 1,000 different ways to write these. Now granted, that thread is for all designators and spans multiple years, but there doesn’t seem to be a general consensus.

I’m sure that has something to do with how they aren’t looked at most of the time, at least not for SNA and NFO, apparently. A guy with a 4.0 and 9/9/9 could write just one sentence and still get in - I think I saw somewhere that @exNavyOffRec said he actually had an applicant do that.

Triumph_MAC

This.

After skimming through the motivational statements thread, I came to the conclusion there’s about 1,000 different ways to write these. Now granted, that thread is for all designators and spans multiple years, but there doesn’t seem to be a general consensus.

I’m sure that has something to do with how they aren’t looked at most of the time, at least not for SNA and NFO, apparently. A guy with a 4.0 and 9/9/9 could write just one sentence and still get in - I think I saw somewhere that @exNavyOffRec said he actually had an applicant do that.
I would agree, mine was more along the lines of why I wanted to be an officer and how I will use my enlisted experience to lead. I also hit on my age and humbling ASTB scores. A 4.0 and 9/9/9... good grief, I'd say that persons study habits are pretty solid.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
This.

Right! Then on the contrary I've seen a an applicant at 68 8/8/8 apply only for NFO and not get selected. Lots of things going on in the background that we don't know I think. I don't think he applied again after that...

I saw the same thing on that forum thread and started to question my statement for three seconds and realized worrying wasn't worth my time. I've done everything I can so it's no use worry about it now and if they don't accept me based on what I wrote, then it wasn't meant to be...

I filled up the space though, I think I had 5 character spaces left out of the 4,500 limit.