• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-15 fire/ ejection

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
got this from vince lesh.

i guess i don't understand why he stayed with a burning jet so long. unless i missed the part where the fire went out.

An F-15 pilot does a terrific job in
getting a burning aircraft back on
the runway before he ejects.

Here's is the video of the events:

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
This video is used as an example of poor wingmanship -- ergo, the wingman wasn't keeping the big picture, and let lead land at a ridiculously high speed.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm surprised he got the gear down carrying that much airspeed on final.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Wait? 275 knots on touchdown? Of course it didnt stop, the tires probably rolled off the rims when they hit the ground. Was there something that kept him from slowing down on final, or was the airspeed left up on purpose?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Wait? 275 knots on touchdown? Of course it didnt stop, the tires probably rolled off the rims when they hit the ground. Was there something that kept him from slowing down on final, or was the airspeed left up on purpose?

I believe when I was shown this and talked about it, he became so focused on bringing it in for a landing that he lost SA wrt airspeed and configuration. Came in super hot, and, well, you saw the rest. As Hacker said, wing should have said something as they got closer.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
why did he not jump out at altitude?
pretty sure the f4/f14 natops does not say,

"if fire warning light does not go out, land or eject, pilot option."

is there something different about a fire warning light in an eagle?

the real estate around the field looked reasonably rural.

"ya can't ever have too much gas....unless you're on fire."

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I don't really see what the pilot was thinking as far as a good outcome by flying an unstable and not fully-configured approach. He ultimately, screwed the pooch and had to eject anyway...About all he did was make it easier for the investigators to get to the site!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't really see what the pilot was thinking as far as a good outcome by flying an unstable and not fully-configured approach. He ultimately, screwed the pooch and had to eject anyway...About all he did was make it easier for the investigators to get to the site!
Pilots are selected and trained to be success oriented. Regardless of proper procedure, there is also occasionally a contrary, innate and subconscious propensity to "save the aircraft' because "losing and aircraft" regardless of even overwhelming reasons not to, is too often contrary to a Naval Aviator's or AF Pilot's psyche.... it is tantamount to a failure.

Unfortunately while their's is a desirable perseverance in most instances, this propensity to stay with an aircraft far too long has killed too many. In fact, it killed some I once knew. But it is a real thing; maybe a common thing.

As an aside, my having once had the option on base radio from my CO to either eject, or attempt a landing – and with our Ops'. Officer strongly favoring an ejection - I chose the later - a landing.

Uncontrollable below 240 knots, I still landed without incident.
[Although I will admit though that being on fire – as I was not but which I have been, but put it out – is a horse of a different color. ]

We are chosen to make tough decisions. Some work; some don't. But our average surpasses the common man or woman. And if you ain't the man in the arena at the moment, it is tough to judge what you would correctly do... or not do.

jtmedli

pilot
And if you ain't the man in the arena at the moment, it is tough to judge what you would correctly do... or not do.

Ain't that the fricken truth. Can't tell you how many times I've armchair quarterbacked something only to end up in the same predicament myself and be indecisive.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
"Pilots are selected and trained to be success oriented. Regardless of proper procedure, there is also occasionally a contrary, innate and subconscious propensity to "save the aircraft' because "losing and aircraft" regardless of even overwhelming reasons not to, is too often contrary to a Naval Aviator's or AF Pilot's psyche.... it is tantamount to a failure."

maybe for some things.... not for fire. as far as i'm concerned its poor judgement.
even if he got it stopped, he's subjecting the crash crew to an unnecessary risk knowing the propensity for an airplane on fire to blow up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
even if he got it stopped, he's subjecting the crash crew to an unnecessary risk knowing the propensity for an airplane on fire to blow up.

Burn up maybe, but the damn thing was on fire with 275 knots of windspeed and air fueling the fire; it's not like when it touches down the speed of combustion of JP-8 is going to increase. As long as he kept it together (which is a moot point, anyways), crash crews would have been dealing with what they are trained to deal with: a plane on fire.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Burn up maybe, but the damn thing was on fire with 275 knots of windspeed and air fueling the fire; it's not like when it touches down the speed of combustion of JP-8 is going to increase. As long as he kept it together (which is a moot point, anyways), crash crews would have been dealing with what they are trained to deal with: a plane on fire.

Completely agree assuming it's a clean bird w/o ordnance. However, throw some yellow stripes on some hard points and that's a different story.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re: protecting/ preserving govt assets.

seems to me the driver's butt is much more of an asset that a burning flying machine.

enough outta me.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
re: protecting/ preserving govt assets.

seems to me the driver's butt is much more of an asset that a burning flying machine.

enough outta me.

As much as I'd like to agree...I'm not so sure this still holds true. Our leadership seems awfully trigger happy when it comes to taking a well-trained aviator out of the cockpit permanently in order to fill a worthless billet on an already over-bloated staff.

HuggyU2

None
I remember when this happened,... it's been a while, probably '95-'96 time frame IIRC.
Pretty sure that landing occurred at Whiteman AFB, MO.
As Hacker alluded to, there was so much that was done wrong on this accident,... by both the pilot and wingman,... that it is an often used case study.
Although it's been many years since, my memory seems to recall it much less severe than they thought it was.

"Wind the clock..."